Your first gig

16 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Travis at the SECC in 1999 IIRC. They played Gran Turismo on a big screen at one point.

They did that in 2002 as well which was, incidentally, my first gig. 

Thought they were boring but Doves were excellent in support. 

Travis made up for it 11 years later at T in the Park. 

On 02/08/2020 at 23:12, 8MileBU said:

12638F0C-84DA-4C48-9F7F-8CC953168D14.jpeg

I was there. I'm sure I got the shit kicked out of me after some crowdsurfing. Security didn't mess about back then.

Still got a signed Burn My Eyes CD from that night. f**k knows why I had a CD or how it got signed. Much Buckfast was consumed on the bus in, that's for sure.

7 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I was there. I'm sure I got the shit kicked out of me after some crowdsurfing. Security didn't mess about back then.

Still got a signed Burn My Eyes CD from that night. f**k knows why I had a CD or how it got signed. Much Buckfast was consumed on the bus in, that's for sure.

I was only 14 at the time and got brave, went down the front and got thrown about the pit like an empty tracksuit 😄

1 hour ago, Perkin Flump said:

Sydney fucking Devine at the Magnum, in my defence I was about 6 & I had no choice in the matter. 

Winner. End thread. Although not quite my first gig, I was taken to see Vince Hill supported by Duncan "chase me, chase me" Norvelle on Blackpool pier in 1983. 

Glastonbury 1992. The first band on that i saw were Fat Dinosaur so i guess they were my first gig. I remember them being shite, sort of a shoutier Bad Manners with the lead singer in a spotty onesie. 

About 2 hours later the Fall were on and were great. 

James at the SECC in 2001 as part of their farewell tour. They were, as they've been many times since their return, brilliant.

Turin Brakes were supporting them that night in 2001. They weren't very good. I remember them having an element of (maybe moderate?) success afterwards.

On 31/07/2020 at 23:15, tongue_tied_danny said:

It was before my time but I believe quite a few big bands in the 60s played in places like that.

The Locarno in Montrose hosted gigs by the like of The Small Faces and The Yardbirds.

The was also a club in Elgin called The Two Red Shoes that put on gigs by The Beatles, The Who etc.

I know a guy whose father saw the Beatles in Cumnock Town Hall.

Ballroom Blitz was written after a fight during The Sweet's show in The Grand Hall in Kilmarnock.

Edited by paul wright scores

On 03/08/2020 at 21:36, G-MAN said:

Neds Atomic Dustbin. Bus run from record store in the town I grew up (Dumfries) to Ayr.

Special mention to my first “dance” gig. Dubnobasswithmyheadman era Underworld. Blew my mind. Was hooked thereafter and it soon became clubbing and moved to the City.

I saw the Neds on my only visit to the legendary Edinburgh Venue. I still have a faded t-shirt somewhere. Doesn't fit.