Your first gig

Hawkwind - Dr Feelgood - 13/12/1974

Could not believe what I was seeing with Dr Feelgood.   Wilco Johnson running about like a maniac robot, Lee Brilleux shagging the drum kit and stripped back music.

Then Hawkwind came on - heavy smell of dope and incense, the light show, Stacia and the music - absolutely incredible and an experience that changed me forever.

On 31/07/2020 at 22:37, Academically Deficient said:

No, it wasn't George. It was a younger guy. Seem to remember a straw beater and a striped blazer dancing to ragtime from his cassette player.

This sounds a bit like ex-Bonzo “Legs” Larry Smith who (I think) did a similar routine as Eric Clapton’s support act.

My first gig was The Undertones at Ayr Pavilion, April 1983, Feargal’s last Scottish one with the band. I still have the ticket somewhere, signed by all 5 band members.

23 minutes ago, trainspotter said:

This sounds a bit like ex-Bonzo “Legs” Larry Smith who (I think) did a similar routine as Eric Clapton’s support act.

My first gig was The Undertones at Ayr Pavilion, April 1983, Feargal’s last Scottish one with the band. I still have the ticket somewhere, signed by all 5 band members.

I saw them on that tour at Tiffany's in Glasgow. Their new lp was The Sin of Pride which I loved. My pals had moved onto Goth and post-punk by then so I went on my own. They were great that night.

I remember seeing a Noddy Holder interview where he said the band's worst ever gig was in Cumnock and likened it to The Blues Brothers C&W gig!  default_bangin.gifdefault_death.gif

Staying on Sir Noddy, he was offered the vocalist slot with AC/DC after Bon's death - would've been interesting but I think Brian Johnson was a better fit.
My Uncle was there! The band were still called Ambrose Slade. They marketed themselves as a skinhead band and turned up to a disappointed audience.

My old man took me to see Rush in '93 at the SECC on the Roll the Bones tour, can't remember much apart from it being a shit venue. 

First gig with my mates was Super Furries at the Barras on the Guerilla tour in '99.  That descent into a techno apocalypse at the end was mind blowing.  Think it was Clinic as support.

Edited by the aggressive beggar

My first gig was Motothead at the Glasgow Apollo in March 1983 (£4.50). It was on their Iron Fist tour and I was 16 and a bit nervous as I'd heard urban myths about their gigs being so loud that your ears would bleed[emoji1787]. They started playing as the stage descended on chains (very Spinal Tap). I should have seen Ozzy Osbourne the previous Oct '82 but the gig was cancelled due to illness by Ozzy - dodged a bullet.

4 hours ago, Brilliantdisguise said:

My first gig was Motothead at the Glasgow Apollo in March 1983 (£4.50). It was on their Iron Fist tour and I was 16 and a bit nervous as I'd heard urban myths about their gigs being so loud that your ears would bleedemoji1787.png. They started playing as the stage descended on chains (very Spinal Tap).

I was at that as well.

Excluding all the classical concerts I was being taken to since before I can remember, my first was Helloween at the Edinburgh Playhouse in 1988.

Sorry about that, everyone, I was young. I'm sure I enjoyed it at the time though.

Neds Atomic Dustbin. Bus run from record store in the town I grew up (Dumfries) to Ayr.

Special mention to my first “dance” gig. Dubnobasswithmyheadman era Underworld. Blew my mind. Was hooked thereafter and it soon became clubbing and moved to the City.

Weezer at the Carling Academy in 2005, loved every song they played, I think it was the tour they did around the same time as that utter gash Beverly HIlls song although I don't remember them playing anything form that album

11 hours ago, Doctor said:

Weezer at the Carling Academy in 2005, loved every song they played, I think it was the tour they did around the same time as that utter gash Beverly HIlls song although I don't remember them playing anything form that album

That was a fantastic gig! The place was bouncing!!

Korn at the SECC 2002. 

A naive 15 year old not long after finding out what guitars were really made for (none of that 3 chord pish) and thinking Nu Metal was the greatest thing in the world & genuinely believing I wouldn't get in if I didn't wear baggies, because moshers n that. 

Decent enough gig. Band called Trust Company opened and it was blatant nu metal pop goodness. My mates slagged me for thinking they were brilliant. Even if I listened to them today I would embrace those pop as f**k choruses. Puddle of Mudd were on next and I could barely hear them over the boos. 

Korn were alright I suppose. Quickly outgrew the nu metal stuff when I realised Metallica was a thing and the sheer speed and precision blew my tiny mind.