Your first gig

QUO at the SECC 1986...certainly not a cool band but a great live act.Many wax lyrical about their gigs at the Glasgow APollo/Greens playhouse in the mid70s  where the balcony was moving like a trampoline.
Indeed it did and they were great with the frantic four at the O2 Academy a few years back. They supported Skynyrd on their farewell tour a couple of years ago and the Glasgow show was rammed with no empty seats you'd normally get for a support act.

On 01/09/2020 at 14:16, Academically Deficient said:

Ok, slightly off topic, but who would you most like to see live but for whatever reason, can never do so?

For me, it's got to be Elvis. Saw that show at the SECC where they have his actual band and orchestra, and "virtual" Elvis on the big screen. That was amazing, despite my pre-gig scepticism. So, I can only imagine how good he would have been.

Shoulda stayed off the burgers big man, eaten more veg 😥

Three that spring to mind

The Fall - Singer's deid

Beastie Boys - Rapper's deid

Campag Velocet - Singer's retired and, er, makes belts. 

23 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

QUO at the SECC 1986...certainly not a cool band but a great live act.Many wax lyrical about their gigs at the Glasgow APollo/Greens playhouse in the mid70s  where the balcony was moving like a trampoline.

It was an experience.  I remember being in the front row at a Slade concert and the sight of the balcony bouncing was amazing.

1 hour ago, paul wright scores said:

It was an experience.  I remember being in the front row at a Slade concert and the sight of the balcony bouncing was amazing.

Now with H & E  those sort of gigs will never be repeated.Gigs at that time had a strong element of danger as mentioned by some posters on here, but b todays standars that is long gone.

30 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Now with H & E  those sort of gigs will never be repeated.Gigs at that time had a strong element of danger as mentioned by some posters on here, but b todays standars that is long gone.

I avoid mosh pits. I'd rather stand at the back with a pint in my hand. 

My only real mosh pit experience was at a Foo Fighters gig at the SECC in 2002. My mate wanted to go to the front but it was already full so we were about 2 or 3 rows in. The support act, some outfit called Cave In, played and nobody moved. As soon as the Foo Fighters appeared the entire crowd swayed forward and I felt myself getting crushed. I then got some crowd surfer's boot in my pus. f**k that. I fought my way back through the crowd and went for a pint. It was really not enjoyable. I didn't see my mate again until the end. 

After the gig I noticed a couple of ambulances outside. 

2 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I avoid mosh pits. I'd rather stand at the back with a pint in my hand. 

My only real mosh pit experience was at a Foo Fighters gig at the SECC in 2002. My mate wanted to go to the front but it was already full so we were about 2 or 3 rows in. The support act, some outfit called Cave In, played and nobody moved. As soon as the Foo Fighters appeared the entire crowd swayed forward and I felt myself getting crushed. I then got some crowd surfer's boot in my pus. f**k that. I fought my way back through the crowd and went for a pint. It was really not enjoyable. I didn't see my mate again until the end. 

After the gig I noticed a couple of ambulances outside. 

Ye cannae beat it 😄

Manics  at Newcastle city hall in 1996. Was odd going from seemingly the only kid who liked them at my comp to a place full of Richie knockoffs in feather boa’s and eyeliner. Catatonia supported and Cerys made some joke about Andy Cole having his legs broke off Neil ruddock which happened around then. Great stuff.

Uhhh... The Alexander Brothers at the local church,if that counts.
There was one special guy in the front row trying to get a crowd clap every song when all the old timers just wanted to listen.

One of the brothers left some pish on the floor during the break in the toilet.

Not the best gig nor memories I'd have to say.

Uhhh... The Alexander Brothers at the local church,if that counts.
There was one special guy in the front row trying to get a crowd clap every song when all the old timers just wanted to listen.

One of the brothers left some pish on the floor during the break in the toilet.

Not the best gig nor memories I'd have to say.
Canny bt a gid singalong wae the A bros!! [emoji4]

On 26/09/2020 at 22:05, Oscar Wilder said:

Think the Valves supported them on Black and White tour! Was that the time the stripper came on for Nice n Sleazy?
The Curves supported them in Oct 79 at Apollo and Modern Eon in February 81!

And The Rezillos in 77

On 27/08/2020 at 19:40, killiejim said:

Correct on both counts. Beatles sadly didn't play Cumnock Town Hall. The Who played Auchinleck Community Centre on Saturday 26th April 1969. Tickets were 12/6 and support act was legendary Cumnock band The Merry Macs. By that point in their career the Who had already had 12 major hits and were probably just behind the Beatles and the Stones as biggest band in Britain. I'm sure there must be a story as to how such a major attraction came to play such a nondescript venue.

Pink Floyd also played Auchinleck, fair play to whoever the venue's booking agent was!

Anyway my first gig was Marillion at the Barras, Hogmanay 86.  Wasn't a massive fan but several mates were.

• 2 weeks later...