Your first gig

13 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

Status Quo - Apollo 1977, supported by British Lions

Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 19.11.06.png

Was that the year the double album was recorded at the Apollo.Still have that album on vinyl.  If so I was at one of the three sold out nights. Back in the day Quo were awesome and responsible for many a young lad taking up the guitar.  In my case it was ma mass knitting needles and a cushion from the couch until I got a pair of drum sticks lol.  Recently got out Blue For You onto the turntable which is the last great album from Quo for me. Mystery Song still gets me going. Impressed you still have the ticket, thanks for bringing back cool memories.  

For me it was utter shit. Me and my mate would go to Shuffles dance hall now the Garage.   To meet a pen pal , being from Paisley you understand . Anyway a crap band called Kenny played a slot. Hearing them was like eating two cans of condensed milk, sweeter than sweet making you throw up. Quo was my first proper gig  bought a ticket with my pocket money. 

The biggest surprise gig I attended was around 1977. Went to the Apollo to see Ian Hunter he had just brought out his debut solo album. The support band knocked Ian Hunter off the stage and went on to become one of the biggest bands in the world that was Queen. 

16 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

The biggest surprise gig I attended was around 1977. Went to the Apollo to see Ian Hunter he had just brought out his debut solo album. The support band knocked Ian Hunter off the stage and went on to become one of the biggest bands in the world that was Queen. 

Queen supported Mott The Hoople in 1974, the same  year 7 Seas of Rhye was released

You're older than you think ZingaliMan 😀😀

Edited by paul wright scores

For me it was utter shit. Me and my mate would go to Shuffles dance hall now the Garage.   To meet a pen pal , being from Paisley you understand . Anyway a crap band called Kenny played a slot. Hearing them was like eating two cans of condensed milk, sweeter than sweet making you throw up.

This Kenny?

9 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

What's your first post-lockdown gig?

Mine is a kind of surving members of Motorhead thing, which I agreed to whilst very refreshed during lockdown.

Think it's in November so it might still be cancelled, and my already damaged hearing will get a stay of execution.

I take it it's a celebration by last surviving members rather than an attempt to carry on?

Although, I know there is an official Dr Feelgood with no original members, don't see the point myself.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I take it it's a celebration by last surviving members rather than an attempt to carry on?

Although, I know there is an official Dr Feelgood with no original members, don't see the point myself.

I believe it is the former. Although you may not lose money if bet on them closing with Ace of Spades or Overkill.

I've seen that incarnation of Dr Feelgood (I was in London, I had partaken) and they were actually very enjoyable - if you like that sort of thing.

Which it turns out, after watching Scotland lose then drinking a vat of lager, I do.

Bon Jovi at Ibrox in 96. It was Richie Sambora's birthday that day and was a superb gig. I also heard them from round the corner a year earlier when they played at Tower Records but I don't really count that as I couldn't actually see them. It was a pretty busy city centre that lunchtime.

Correct on both counts. Beatles sadly didn't play Cumnock Town Hall. The Who played Auchinleck Community Centre on Saturday 26th April 1969. Tickets were 12/6 and support act was legendary Cumnock band The Merry Macs. By that point in their career the Who had already had 12 major hits and were probably just behind the Beatles and the Stones as biggest band in Britain. I'm sure there must be a story as to how such a major attraction came to play such a nondescript venue.

The Beatles never played Cumnock Town Hall!
The Who played Auchinleck tho!

What's your first post-lockdown gig?
Mine is a kind of surving members of Motorhead thing, which I agreed to whilst very refreshed during lockdown.
Think it's in November so it might still be cancelled, and my already damaged hearing will get a stay of execution.

Mary Chain rearranged gig at Barrowlands.