Your first gig

28 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

It was before my time but I believe quite a few big bands in the 60s played in places like that.

The Locarno in Montrose hosted gigs by the like of The Small Faces and The Yardbirds.

The was also a club in Elgin called The Two Red Shoes that put on gigs by The Beatles, The Who etc.

The Elgin venue, the name of which I'd forgotten, has a lot written about it on this page: https://scotbeat.wordpress.com/2015/06/23/elgin-scotland-music-scene-1960s/

The Small Faces played in Falkirk in my recall, and I think I moaned about not getting to go, even although my age hadn't long reached double figures. Still one of my all time favourite bands.

The Locarno, that was in the street back from the main High Street, wasn't it?

31 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The Small Faces played in Falkirk in my recall, and I think I moaned about not getting to go, even although my age hadn't long reached double figures. Still one of my all time favourite bands.

Interesting let us look closer at this.

Small Faces, so named because the members were all height challenged play Falkirk.

A PandB poster famous for his own lack of inches is from Falkirk.

No smoke without fire if you ask me.

6 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The Elgin venue, the name of which I'd forgotten, has a lot written about it on this page: https://scotbeat.wordpress.com/2015/06/23/elgin-scotland-music-scene-1960s/

The Small Faces played in Falkirk in my recall, and I think I moaned about not getting to go, even although my age hadn't long reached double figures. Still one of my all time favourite bands.

The Locarno, that was in the street back from the main High Street, wasn't it?

Yeah.  It was later renamed The Planets. It went on fire at some point in the 80s, was demolished and the land  is now part of the car park behind the Co-op. An inglorious end to a well known venue.

9 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

My first, at the age of 12, was The Move, as I had a relation in a band, The Boots, who got me in. Bizarrely perhaps to some, this was in the Dobbie Hall in Stenhousemuir, but it was a venue on the circuit, Gene Vincent, Dave Dee Dozy Mick and Tich, The Tremeloes, Marmalade, The Searchers, The Troggs, Cat Stevens and Love Affair all played there around that time.

Think The Move had already had 4 or 5 top five singles by that time.

Slade played The Countdown in Airdrie. Apart from down on their luck 60s bands playing the Workman's club that's about it. Until Elton John did his recent one or the park.There was an open air gig announced for old Broomfield "Ellerey Bop, The Revillos, Shake...others to be announced. Incredibly, no tickets were sold and it was abandoned.

8 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Interesting let us look closer at this.

Small Faces, so named because the members were all height challenged play Falkirk.

A PandB poster famous for his own lack of inches is from Falkirk.

No smoke without fire if you ask me.

As you'll know The Sex Pistols were banned in Scotland but played occasionally under psuedonyms. My mate would swear blind weekly that some shite band billed in a pub would be the Pistols. He was usually ignored, but he got it right when they played The Manaquee in Falkirk, of course none of us went because he was talking shite.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

13 hours ago, btb said:

On a tangent again I was on the train to Glasgow to see Walter Trout the same night as Take That (with Robbie) played Glasgow - it was a boisterous train up with the laydeez knocking back bottles of Bacardi etc like there was no tomorrow - as ever Walter was top notch while the TT boyz must've done the business coz the laydeez were definitely post-coital on the way back.  

A semenal moment in music history?

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Slade played The Countdown in Airdrie. Apart from down on their luck 60s bands playing the Workman's club that's about it. Until Elton John did his recent one or the park.There was an open air gig announced for old Broomfield "Ellerey Bop, The Revillos, Shake...others to be announced. Incredibly, no tickets were sold and it was abandoned.

I remember seeing a Noddy Holder interview where he said the band's worst ever gig was in Cumnock and likened it to The Blues Brothers C&W gig!  :hammer:death

Staying on Sir Noddy, he was offered the vocalist slot with AC/DC after Bon's death - would've been interesting but I think Brian Johnson was a better fit.

Edited by btb

My first gig was The Dooleys, who were a proto Bucks Fizz, at the Caird Hall, Dundee in 1978. The lights, the noise, the light family, end of the pier, cabaret act. It's fair to say I was hooked from the start. My second gig was Bucks Fizz at the Caird Hall in 1982. My first big boy gig was The Wedding Present in St. Andrews in 1989.

21 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

It was before my time but I believe quite a few big bands in the 60s played in places like that.

The Locarno in Montrose hosted gigs by the like of The Small Faces and The Yardbirds.

The was also a club in Elgin called The Two Red Shoes that put on gigs by The Beatles, The Who etc.

The Kinema Ballroom in Dunfermline had its fair share of "before they were famous" bands/artists in the late 60s and early 70s.

Blondie at the Apollo in 1979. I was 13 and I think I had an erection from the second Debbie Harry walked onstage. I was a bit disappointed in the music at first because it didn't sound "exactly" like the records. 

On 31/07/2020 at 23:15, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Rolling Stones played a chaotic gig at a hotel in Hamilton in the 60s. It had been booked when they were unknown, but they had become big by the time of the gig. Keith Richards talks about it in his autobiography as being particularly mental due to the "enthusiasm" of the locals.