Old Folks’ Homes

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

If you're unable to look after yourself you might not be able to get the vodka and painkillers.

Again, you might not be capable of doing that. I'm now at a stage I can barely get up our front path. Getting "well off the trail" would be impossible for me.

I'd plan ahead.

Also Shotgun just said he'd outlive his wife and dogs, not get to the cusp of physical incapacity. 

27 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Again, you might not be capable of doing that. I'm now at a stage I can barely get up our front path. Getting "well off the trail" would be impossible for me.

Absolutely, which is why I qualified it as "My ideal death." I realise I probably won't be that fortunate in reality.

My granny knew me, she also couldn’t remember who my ex husband was. I‘M somewhat envious. Sat in the garden so the kids could see her too. 
Homes had no cases and staff now tested weekly.

25 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Come on, you live in 'Murca. You've got loads of checkout options. 💀

I know you're being facetious but for a lot of people here, it really isn't that simple. Suicide is legal in the US and in a handful of states, (including Colorado) medically assisted suicide/death is too. However in some states, helping a loved on cross the Styx will get you a long jail sentence and I'm not making this up...in some states you'd get the death penality.

So, the government will put you to death for helping someone who wants to end their own life because killing is wrong. Wrap your head around that.

You can also Google "Terry Schiavo Case" for a good illustration of how fucked up religious peoples' values are.

There is a huge amount of evidence available on ways to make dementia care more humane and pleasant. Stirling university is seen as a leading authority on it. A really simple example is that a lot of ‘incontinence’ in care homes (and people still living at home) is caused by the person not being aware any more of where the toilet is. The solution for those who are still mobile can be as simple as painting the toilet door red and putting massive signs up with a picture as well as words. There’s a view from some that this makes the environment less ‘normal’ or homely but the difference it can make to people by retaining that important piece of independence can be incredible.

An old aunt of mine was in one for a couple of years after she went from being completely okay to not knowing whether it was New York or New Year seemingly overnight.

A few things linger in the mind from those visits...the pervasive disinfectanty smell of the place, the endless cups of lukewarm overmilky tea, and the fact that when I showed up, one of the attendants would announce "Here's a visitor to see you, Mary" (for that was her name) and half of the heads in the room would shoot round.

I believe the other half of them were called Margaret.

My mum's always been a workaholic, and took on a second job doing agency work in nursing homes when I was old enough to be at home on my own. She said that none of them were in any way good, but a couple in particular she refused to go back to, and one she almost walked out of during her shift. Old folk knocked about by the staff, serious injuries left untreated, punishments for incontinence and typical dementia symptoms (lashing out at staff from confusion), that kind of thing. The regular staff never spoke to the residents unless to yell abuse at them for not complying with their orders, and discussed them as inanimate objects, often to their face. Almost total lack of care equipment, with staff told its use wasn't necessary, so you'd have bedbound residents left lying in urine-soaked mattresses on a permanent basis, as incontinence pads were "too expensive". If you weren't ready to eat when a spoon suddenly appeared at your mouth unannounced, that was a meal you were missing. She made it sound like hell; confused, agonised souls being tortured by unfeeling sadists.

She gave it up in the end, as she managed to get into auxiliary nursing in hospitals, but she's always said she'll commit suicide rather than end up in a home. I've known a few other folk who did care work and, no matter how much they found satisfaction in their job, none of them could make nursing homes sound like places that human beings should be kept in. I can't see that improving as the average age increases and less money is available.