Depends who you ask. Clyde fans say yes, I’d say a fair amount of Thistle fans would say yes, but also that we have been insignificant for a long time to them. A number of younger Thistle fans would probably say no. Not sure whether or not this is the young ultras acting the big man or we have genuinely been an irrelevance for that long. It’s possibly even a bit of both.

ETA: If any Thistle fans would like to meet for a socially distanced scrap at 12 Ruel Street, on 17th October, please bring yer maw.

Edited by Scott-Replay

15 minutes ago, William.mcnair said:

Partick and Clyde is it really a derby 

Only ever really hear Clyde fans call it a Derby. Maybe some Thistle fans from an era when it was a big game in the fixture calendar.  Certainly now doesn’t fall into the geographical “Derby” bounds for me. 

Edited by JagsCG

Used to love going to shawfield  for games against us always a great atmosphere 

I remember going to Hospitality in the days OKI sponsored Clyde. It wasn’t a game vs Thistle. The person that greeted us asked me if I was a Clyde supporter. No I said - I support Thistle. He said he shouldn’t really let me in. It had been a while since we had been in the same league, I had forgotten the rivalry.

This does baffle me as surely without Clyde, Partick have no derby. What a joyless experience being a Partick Thistle fan must be
I can appreciate that it would have been a Derby. But I would have said, having first attended matches in the early 90s, that the closest to a Derby atmosphere I experienced was with airdrie

Late 90s and into 00s we spent a long time in the same division and wasn't too much between the sides. Was definitely more of a rivalry then.

We've not been in the same league for over 10 years and miles away from Thistle on the park, until this season, so might not be the same.

tbh it's mainly a one way thing but when we were in the Prem (oh how long ago that feels now) I always wanted us to beat Rangers* or Celtic more than anyone else there. You can say that for most SPFL fans I guess but it's the closest thing to a derby game feel I get on any matchday. Other than that I've not really got any needle with any other club, including Clyde and Airdrie. As mentioned, this might be a generational thing.

At the time I'd have said probably Rangers* even moreso, not in a "big team revealed" way but more that we missed out on playing against them in any of the lower tiers and I'm confident the Thistle team with ATS, O'Donnell and others could have beaten them while, say, McCoist was still in charge of them. Plus Celtic have generally had their act together over the last 9 seasons, Deila years probably the exception, so scraping a win over them always felt like a pipe dream. As it is, considering our record against both of them them in the top flight in all cup and league games (not just the last few years either, our win/draw/loss return against them is horrendous reading pretty much since the Millenium Bug was still a thing so we're talking 20+ years of shitty results varying from narrow failure to absolute pumpings) I'm at the point where I don't think I'll see a Thistle win over either of the arsecheeks in my natural lifetime.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, The clean living guy said:

Who do thistle look at as their derby/rivals these days? 

Queens Park obvs!!!

Same City, same lower leagues status!!!

Surely hoping to get them in the cup!!!

1 hour ago, The clean living guy said:

Who do thistle look at as their derby/rivals these days? 

We’ve had at least 1 Glasgow Derby every year since 2013. No doubt that trend will continue when we predictably draw Celtic in the Cup (again!). Games vs Celtic/Rangers are really the only derbies we’ve had recently. The fact, Clyde and Thistle haven’t been in the same league for a long long time, and geographically it’s not really a Derby, any affects of it being one are probably gone. Maybe still more a rivalry for the older supporters. 

7 minutes ago, You Only Live Twice said:

A bit of a fall from grace for Thistle it has to be said, but there's no denying I'm glad we will be facing off against each other once again on league duty. Just a shame it wasn't a tier higher right enough!

Bit of an understatement, but unfortunately you’re not wrong! 

Regardless of anything traditionally or historically, the first 2 Clyde/Thistle fixtures are situated at perfect times for 2 really good matches, 1 on opening day and the other at New Year. 

I'm pretty sure PTFC view games with Clyde the same way as we view playing QP. Whilst there are some Clyde fans who are disturbingly obsessed. Maybe a few years sharing a division would spark it up but only if we can be a bit of a nuisance. For me there has to be an element of a level playing field for a rivalry to really flourish and we've been miles away for ages.

Personally, I do view it as a rivalry as growing up in the West End of Glasgow there were a few (like two or three) Thistle fans in my school and that was around the time where the two teams played semi-regularly late 90s, early 00s, so there was naturally a bit of chat back and forth. That probably comes out a bit when we play, as does the natural bit of excitement when it's a match where there's a bigger crowd (similar to the Falkirk games). 

We've had cup games which had me shrugging my shoulders in complete indifference though. Remember the match we had to play at Alloa? Not sure the Thistle fans even bothered celebrating when they scored.

16 minutes ago, David W said:

We've had cup games which had me shrugging my shoulders in complete indifference though. Remember the match we had to play at Alloa? Not sure the Thistle fans even bothered celebrating when they scored.

That was an extremely surreal experience. IIRC, Thistle barely had to get out of first gear, never mind second, to win that game. It was a pretty decent Thistle side (I think they were promoted that season) against a Paul Hay led Clyde, mind you.

No one cares until the day of the game then shit hits the fan. It’s always the case.
Don't Clyde fans sing a song at all games about a bunnet with f*ck the thistle on it? Whereas there isn't a single thistle song that remotely mentions Clyde.