I think there are two reasons for the Clyde & Partick "rivalry" fading somewhat. Moving to Broadwood took away the geographical element to the rivalry and the fact the majority of the past 15 to 20 seasons we've been in different divisions from each other has killed it. It's the same with Accies to an extent, albeit that rivalry was due to Billy Reid etc and nothing else really.

The best games I remember from our point of view were winning 2-0 at Broadwood on the first day of the 04/05 campaign and the 4-0 victory at Firhill.

Saying that, I was choking for us to win at Firhill in the cup last season and it did remind me of the rivalry we used to share with Thistle, but it's still miles off what it used to be.

Maybe playing each each other 3 times in the league this year will reignite the rivalry we used to have with each other.

I’m 27 so wasn’t around for when we ground shared at Firhill. From what I’ve learned (forced to sell tops at the turnstiles etc) they always showed a lack of class despite the amount of money we were giving them. It’s only natural to feel “aggrieved”.

I loved games against Thistle growing up. Beating them on a regular basis helped but the cup game last season aside, it’s been a long time where I’ve  even really up for a game. Given that the old firm is the weekend of our match, I’m certain that unless there is a new wave, they’ll be 3 or 4 thousand in Broadwood.

2 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

I’m 27 so wasn’t around for when we ground shared at Firhill. From what I’ve learned (forced to sell tops at the turnstiles etc) they always showed a lack of class despite the amount of money we were giving them. It’s only natural to feel “aggrieved”.

I loved games against Thistle growing up. Beating them on a regular basis helped but the cup game last season aside, it’s been a long time where I’ve  even really up for a game. Given that the old firm is the weekend of our match, I’m certain that unless there is a new wave, they’ll be 3 or 4 thousand in Broadwood.

4000 would be an excellent crowd.

Would expect social distancing will still be in place and as such the crowd will be limited.

4 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

With Queen's Park set to likely become a whole lot better now they're a professional club, I reckon they will become Partick's biggest rival in the future as the battle for the best non-OF team in Glasgow.

With Low, Britton and McCall in charge Queen's Park will become Glasgow's 3rd team.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I've always assumed that in recent years this has been a fairly one-sided rivalry, a bit like the one Thistle fans try to cling on to with us.

Can’t speak for some of the older fans, but I don’t know any Thistle fans who think of Kilmarnock as a rival. I’ve heard the “well you’ve got a song about us” chat before on this one, and yeah, we do still sing the Killie song - but I think that’s more just because it’s a catchy number rather than because anyone still sees your club as a rival. We also have songs which mention Bolton, Arsenal and Hearts.

As to the original question, I’d currently say it’s not a derby. Geographically or competitively. The longer Low & co remain associated with the club, however, the more likely Clyde and Airdrie will become relevant rivals again. Or indeed Queens Park.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I've always assumed that in recent years this has been a fairly one-sided rivalry, a bit like the one Thistle fans try to cling on to with us.

Thistle don’t have any rivalry with Kilmarnock - to my knowledge. Maybe the older fans have a story behind it, can’t speak for them. As said above the songs that mention Killie and others are only because they are catchy, there’s no rivalry or clinging on we’re trying to do with Kilmarnock. 

Remember a cup tie against Thistle in the 80's when it was absolute bedlam at Shawfield. Bottles being thrown and fans charging one another.

There was definitely a rivalry in those days.

For what it's worth, I'm (ahem) over 50 and still dislike Thistle more than any other team.

I definitely thought there was at least the potential for some sort of rivalry developing between ourselves and Clyde last season. Two wins each established an on-field balance of sorts, but more interestingly a healthy percentage of perma-raging roasters in both supports added spice to the proceedings. With ourselves having retained McCluskey and (I assume) Wee Frodo still plying his trade at Broadwood I'm looking forward to resuming hostilities.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I definitely thought there was at least the potential for some sort of rivalry developing between ourselves and Clyde last season. Two wins each established an on-field balance of sorts, but more interestingly a healthy percentage of perma-raging roasters in both supports added spice to the proceedings. With ourselves having retained McCluskey and (I assume) Wee Frodo still plying his trade at Broadwood I'm looking forward to resuming hostilities.

There's perma raging roasters in all clubs supports. Hardly constitutes making a certain fixture a derby.

Edited by C. Muir

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

To be fair every ex Clyde player that plays against us gets absolutely roasted for some reason, the way I’ve always remembered it