Jackson Carlaw resigns

Nae Union

1 hour ago, Nae Union said:

Carlaw gone after a short tenure. He has said he is not the best person to make the case for the union. 

I’m assuming that is Tory speak for “I’m a useless cùnt and my statements are facile”.

35 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

We got any video of this performance from him today? Sounds hilarious.

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Absolutely glorious stuff. One fucking gammon b*****d gone, another to fill in. 

Not that great. Better that he stayed put, he's a fucking turnip.

Does anyone seriously believe this guff? - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53601518

"Nothing is more important to me than making the case for Scotland's place in the United Kingdom," he said.

"I believe the Scottish Conservative and Unionist party is the most important voice in Scotland for setting out that positive argument. I am clear that nothing must get in the way of doing so.

"In the last few weeks, I have reached a simple if painful conclusion - that I am not, in the present circumstances, the person best placed to lead that case over these next vital months in Scottish politics prior to the Holyrood elections."

Carlaw has spent his entire adult life trying to get to the top of Scottish Tory politics. Suddenly, out of the blue (excuse the pun) he resigns just before the recess.

Frankly, I don't believe a word that the odious, self-serving opportunist says. My guess is that there is a huge scandal or an embarrassing secret that is about to come out.  

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

We got any video of this performance from him today? Sounds hilarious.

Enjoy! Have to disagree with him though - he definitely WAS the best person to carry on making the case for the union :)

Edited by Hillonearth

18 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Frankly, I don't believe a word that the odious, self-serving opportunist says. My guess is that there is a huge scandal or an embarrassing secret that is about to come out.  

This. I wouldn't be surprised if some evidence of some of his alleged dodgy financial dealings might be about to appear.

I don’t think it is anything like that.  This has been coming, and that performance today will have had the troops sat behind him beeling.  No attempt to change tack when it was clear it was going nowhere.   

I can see them having taken him aside afterwards and telling him he either went or they would be going for a no confidence motion within the party.  Give him his dignity by allowing him to resign. 

7 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I don’t think it is anything like that.  This has been coming, and that performance today will have had the troops sat behind him beeling.  No attempt to change tack when it was clear it was going nowhere.   

I can see them having taken him aside afterwards and telling him he either went or they would be going for a no confidence motion within the party.  Give him his dignity by allowing him to resign. 

Aye, but not enough dignity to say it was the usual personal or family reasons. Whoever had him punted made him pony up to being an idiot...

5 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

It would not happen so quickly, even after such a disastrous performance. Carlaw has a massive ego and would fight to the death to hold onto power. He would have tried to brave it out and hold on until after the summer recess at the very least. There must be something much more significant that has suddenly forced the b*****d out.

Just now, Colkitto said:

Just waiting for the first Unionist journo to go with "Why (insert name) is bad news for the SNP!"  

'The SNP are running scared of Ruth Davidson's return - and she is the unifying First Minister our country desperately needs | My latest for @guardian'. 

31 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It would not happen so quickly, even after such a disastrous performance. Carlaw has a massive ego and would fight to the death to hold onto power. He would have tried to brave it out and hold on until after the summer recess at the very least. There must be something much more significant that has suddenly forced the b*****d out.

This is the end of the process, rather than one event