Obesity

13 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I would just like to point out, it’s an absolute myth that eating healthy is expensive.

It also has an opportunity cost that eating junk / fast food doesn't.

7 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I would just like to point out, it’s an absolute myth that eating healthy is expensive.

Depends on how you define "Expensive". Ingredients on their own perhaps not, but the shopping and preparation takes time and not everyone will have that. That's before we consider that many simply won't have the knowledge or confidence to buy fresh and try to cook themselves.

8 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I'm not sure it's a myth but it's definitely overstated.

I think for parents feeding 2 or 3 kids it's probably cheaper and easier to buy some ready meals than buy sufficient ingredients for a good home cooked meal for 4 people. But fruit & veg shouldn't really break the bank and you can make some really good meals with not too much ingredients and not even much effort. The information is all there on the web if you want to find it.

Where I get a bit yer da about it is people hide behind lots of excuses like that. I do get that losing weight is hard, of course it is. I've been there. But if you really decide that you want to be healthier and lose weight, you won't let this stuff stand in your way. The fact that you can get a multipack of crisps at BOGOF won't influence you.

We have all as a society came on leaps and bounds with derogatory comments towards others, overweight people still seem a worthy and deserved target though. I’ve always found it baffling that it’s still acceptable to mock someone over their size

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

Depends on how you define "Expensive". Ingredients on their own perhaps not, but the shopping and preparation takes time and not everyone will have that. That's before we consider that many simply won't have the knowledge or confidence to buy fresh and try to cook themselves.

I think the time and the demands of the workplace  aspect is huge when it comes to obesity - how many people are commuting 2+ hours a day to do a job that they sit at a desk for all day? People doing no physical exercise all day but being mentally exhausted must make up a good % of the obese population in the U.K.

Once people get fat a lot of them turn to these 90 day challenges which I think sets them up for failure tbh - they have a low self esteem as it is and feel the need to follow these programmes to the letter yet when they get sick and tired of work they turn to food and drink and give up as going back to then beginning seems like too much of an effort. 

I recently got a book on keto which I read is something being prescribed by doctors for obesity, that and intermittent fasting being promoted by doctors is a positive thing rather than just recommending a calorie intake and to do more excercise.

48 minutes ago, throbber said:

I think the time and the demands of the workplace  aspect is huge when it comes to obesity - how many people are commuting 2+ hours a day to do a job that they sit at a desk for all day? People doing no physical exercise all day but being mentally exhausted must make up a good % of the obese population in the U.K.

Once people get fat a lot of them turn to these 90 day challenges which I think sets them up for failure tbh - they have a low self esteem as it is and feel the need to follow these programmes to the letter yet when they get sick and tired of work they turn to food and drink and give up as going back to then beginning seems like too much of an effort. 

I recently got a book on keto which I read is something being prescribed by doctors for obesity, that and intermittent fasting being promoted by doctors is a positive thing rather than just recommending a calorie intake and to do more excercise.

Agree with most of what you're saying, but both keto and intermittent fasting are just different forms of calorie counting.

Calorie counting is literally the only thing that works in regards to weight management.

3 hours ago, Ross. said:

That's before we consider that many simply won't have the knowledge or confidence to buy fresh and try to cook themselves.

This can't be overstated.

If you order a meal from McDonalds and they get it wrong, they replace it.

If you buy fresh ingredients and get it wrong, that can't be replaced without additional cost. For someone living on the breadline who isn't confident about their skills in the kitchen, that's a massive gamble to take.

33 minutes ago, throbber said:

The ketogenic diet can be effective but as said, it's a way of reducing calories.  Diets like this are effective if you stick to them but it's hard.  Things like sugary drinks, snacks and sweets are ingrained into people's lives and are hard to resist.

Losing weight is hard for humans - it's against our natural physiology to lose weight even if you are overweight.

Just now, NotThePars said:

Keto dieting looks and sounds miserable.

As well as raising the chance of kidney and renal stones. Girl in my work has been doing it on and off for last few years and she's always getting pains in her kidneys now. Could be a coincidence but these are definite side effects. 

I'm not 100% about the science of it but I think there is something about the way we eat now, increased consumption of processed grains and sugars causing crashes and lack of satiety.  I always have either full fat Greek yoghurt and berries or eggs for breakfast and I never get hungry during the mornings but when I ate cereal I'd be starving and would often eat snacks during the morning.

I am aware though that fad diets and restrictive diets often blend into an eating disorder.  I think a lot of people who are anorexic or have disordered eating latch onto things like veganism, clean eating etc as part of their obsession with food.  I am currently trying to eat a little better and was knocking around the internet looking for things about different ways of eating and stumbled upon a carnivore forum.  Carnirovre is where you eat only meat, usually beef.  They had loads of testimonials etc and I thought it would be full of gymbros but it wasn't, it was full of people who clearly had a lifelong history of extremely disordered eating and illness and the carnivore diet was the latest part of that.  SOme of it was quite moving, I felt so sorry for some of them.  I'm overweight, reasonably healthy though, I lift weights and naturally am broad but there's nothing that I really can't do because of my weight.  I can happily not worry about what \I eat at all and to read people whose lives are just spend obsessing about food, it must be awful.  I have family members who have suffered from anorexia and it's really a slow death, a terrible afflication.

14 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Agree with most of what you're saying, but both keto and intermittent fasting are just different forms of calorie counting.

Calorie counting is literally the only thing that works in regards to weight management.

Not really though as with the keto diet you programme your body to burn off fat as it’s main fuel source and with intermittent fasting you give your organs a break from being in a fed state which has countless other health benefits. IF isn’t just a tool to limit calorie intake. 

Every c**t has a smartphone and access to youtube, cooking's easy.
Aye this. Not only is cooking easy, but there are many many levels to it, and to be able to knock out an equivalent to a ready meal, for example I often make breaded chicken or fish and homemade chips for the kids, really doesnt take much.

Theres a LOT in my experience, of sort of inverse food snobbery in this country. Folk see anyone who likes good grub as somehow "up themselves".

22 minutes ago, throbber said:

Not really though as with the keto diet you programme your body to burn off fat as it’s main fuel source and with intermittent fasting you give your organs a break from being in a fed state which has countless other health benefits. IF isn’t just a tool to limit calorie intake. 

This is is utter bollocks. Complete rubbish.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

This is is utter bollocks. Complete rubbish.

What do you think happens during intermittent fasting ? It’s common sense that your body gets a break from digesting food and your liver can carry out other vital functions that it wasn’t getting time to do as it was being overworked. 

Tests have also shown that people consuming the same amount of calories in a 16:8 eating window return a much better body composition then those who are consuming them spread out throughout the day. It’s not as simple as a calorie count there is much more going on when do fasting.

Every c**t has a smartphone and access to youtube, cooking's easy.

The thing that stops me is I don’t want to spend time on something which turns out shite when I could just either get something in or make what I know which means when I do cook it’s the same 5 things. I ken that’s on me though. Also, I’m a lazy b*****d.