Obesity

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, theres a fine line between being "proud" of something that is damaging and that ultimately you should be trying to resolve, versus being constantly shamed over it, made to feel shite etc.

Trying to shame people into losing weight doesn't work because once you successfully make them hate their own bodies then it follows that they hate themselves and mental health problems are never far away at that point. The weight loss will probably not come, or not come in a healthy way.

Saying you are proud to be fat, which the human psyche regards as unattractive and is without any argument bad for you is nonsense though and too far that other way. Not being ashamed is not the same as being proud.

Nah, shaming won't work.

I'd guess (and it is just a guess) the majority of overweight people are acutely aware of the fact they're fat and also that it's their own fault. That is compounded when they try running or whatever and their body simply doesn't respond. If they're anything like me the mental turmoil you put yourself under in that situation is bad enough without others piling in.

I mentioned patience in my post because it's so important. I think whatever route you go down to get healthier, that first 4/5 weeks will be crap. If you reduce calories/sugar/fat from your diet and increase exercise the body takes time to adapt and it's not going to be fun. Added to that, you probably will see little to no difference in the mirror or the scales.

52 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It comes from a good place in terms of trying to compensate for the stigma put on fat people.

As with anything like this it started as trying to reduce the impacts of depression and stress on people simply for being fat and goes too far to the point of people telling themselves they're 'perfect just the way they are'.

There should be a healthy balanced view that yes, you are overweight and yes, it's a bad thing, but it's fixable over time, it doesn't have to be a miserable diet and it's all in your control.

You just need to research, plan, make incremental changes, be disciplined and most importantly, be patient.

Yeah I absolutely agree with you. My post comes across as fat-shaming which I definitely don’t think is the right approach.  The amount of health problems caused by obesity and the strain this puts on the NHS is staggering though. 

6 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Yeah I absolutely agree with you. My post comes across as fat-shaming which I definitely don’t think is the right approach.  The amount of health problems caused by obesity and the strain this puts on the NHS is staggering though. 

I didn't think you were fat shaming to be fair.

I also roll my eyes when I hear some of these more extreme body positivity campaigners. They'd have you believe a GP suggesting you lose weight is fat shaming.

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Who or what are you referring to with the proud to be fat culture that winds you up out of curiosity? You see fat people on tv and some celebrities are fat but I’m not really sure we have a culture of being proud to be fat in the U.K.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

Who or what are you referring to with the proud to be fat culture that winds you up out of curiosity? You see fat people on tv and some celebrities are fat but I’m not really sure we have a culture of being proud to be fat in the U.K.

‘Body positivity’ and ‘fat acceptance’ are pretty prevalent cultural movements bud. Have you not managed to hear of BLM either?

3 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

‘Body positivity’ and ‘fat acceptance’ are pretty prevalent cultural movements bud. Have you not managed to hear of BLM either?

That’s a bit of a dickish response from you there. Whilst these movements may be prevalent I still don’t think fat people get a particularly easy ride in the U.K and still get treated like their problems can go away by not eating so much as if it’s that simple. 

I dont agree that body positivity = fat acceptance or pride. Mrs B constantly beats herself up because of the standards women are held to by media, stupid magazines etc etc. Some women will never be skinny and will be curvy even when fit. Body positivity has its aims in making sure curvy women dont get tricked into thinking they are fat and somehow inadequate.

Often times people like to give it how overweight = "real women". That probably isnt helpful and validates an unhealthy lifestyle but in general, a lot of damage has been done over the years to women's self esteem and image consciousness, almost always in pursuit of the unattainable figures of rich actresses and models who have personal trainers and chefs and dont need to live a busy normal life.

We dont need to say being obese is ok, but equally, we as a society need to stop holding women to ridiculous standards and openly criticising those who dont meet them like it's some of our business.... And obviously I am not aiming that at you but rather wider media/social media judgement etc.

I think we are moving towards healthy rather than skinny as a goal though. I think athletic physique seems to be the thing nowadays with athletes being held in higher reverence than I can remember, probably pre London 2012 and thats very positive IMO. Jessica Ennis or Victoria Pendleton is a much better aspiration than Victoria Beckham or Kate Moss for example.

As usual, the government will miss the mark entirely over this and lead with vilification rather than encouragement though as they seek to encourage weight loss by making it harder to get a McDonalds rather than making it easier and cheaper to get exercise.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont agree that body positivity = fat acceptance or pride. Mrs B constantly beats herself up because of the standards women are held to by media, stupid magazines etc etc. Some women will never be skinny and will be curvy even when fit. Body positivity has its aims in making sure curvy women dont get tricked into thinking they are fat and somehow inadequate.

Often times people like to give it how overweight = "real women". That probably isnt helpful and validates an unhealthy lifestyle but in general, a lot of damage has been done over the years to women's self esteem and image consciousness, almost always in pursuit of the unattainable figures of rich actresses and models who have personal trainers and chefs and dont need to live a busy normal life.

We dont need to say being obese is ok, but equally, we as a society need to stop holding women to ridiculous standards and openly criticising those who dont meet them like it's some of our business.... And obviously I am not aiming that at you but rather wider media/social media judgement etc.

I think we are moving towards healthy rather than skinny as a goal though. I think athletic physique seems to be the thing nowadays with athletes being held in higher reverence than I can remember, probably pre London 2012 and thats very positive IMO. Jessica Ennis or Victoria Pendleton is a much better aspiration than Victoria Beckham or Kate Moss for example.

As usual, the government will miss the mark entirely over this and lead with vilification rather than encouragement though as they seek to encourage weight loss by making it harder to get a McDonalds rather than making it easier and cheaper to get exercise.

I agree.

Like most 'cultural movements' it comes in quite a few flavours but that doesn't mean body positivity is a bad thing. There are extreme elements out there that will tell you being fat is fine and that the health risks that go with it are a myth. This is clearly unhelpful and simply false.

Body positivity started out as a movement like you describe above though and shouldn't be discouraged. 'Strong not skinny' is the term I heard recently and makes perfect sense.

How is it an irrelevant point?
Keto is, by its very nature, high in fat. There are 9 calories in one gram of fat. It is incredibly easy for someone on keto, who isn't paying attention to their calorific intake, to eat more calories than their body needs.
You're introducing extra variables left, right and centre. Your original point was that doctors are prescribing keto to combat obesity. Keto on its own will do absolutely nothing for obesity unless there is a reduced calorific intake. If someone switches to keto and has exactly the same calorific balance as before they will not lose any weight whatsoever.

Isn’t the idea of keto that you will increase your basal metabolic rate and thus increase the number of calories your body needs before you’d start gaining weight?

Simon Jordan is discussing child obesity on TalkSport

This sounds like a parody of bizarre TV show pitches

Tony Blackburn discussing Tupac conspiracies on S4C
Chris Eubank goes Youth Hostelling on Dave.
Robert Kilroy Silk debates Gender recognition on Press TV.

Guest bernardblack

IMG_4042.jpg

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Monkey Tennis?

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This is fucking hysterical btw

Are the rest of the recipes like this?

I'm confused, do you just leave the radishes and avocado whole and what do you do with the scallions? There's chopped onion in the instructions, but not in the ingredients, do they mean add the scallions?

It's no wonder poor people get kebabs.