Obesity

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

The science behind losing weight is simple.

Calorie deficiency = weight loss

Calorie surplus = weight gain. 

This is an oversimplification. 

A steel prosthesis will add weight while an amputation will reduce it. 

I recently lost about 2 grammes by having a molar removed. 

Incidentally, I had the misfortune to read the comments under an article about Adele's recent weight loss.

What was quite worrying was the amount of chubsters posting saying that she looked better before and that now she wasn't as healthy.

The fat acceptance movement is bigger (heh) than I thought.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If it wasn't for the serving suggestion on the box. I'd never have thought of pairing fish fingers with chips.

Get those bad boys on a sandwich where they belong

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Incidentally, I had the misfortune to read the comments under an article about Adele's recent weight loss.

What was quite worrying was the amount of chubsters posting saying that she looked better before and that now she wasn't as healthy.

I think it’s becoming increasingly normalised to be obese. 

I’ve a sugar tummy, carry all my weight there which is worse for organs. Carbs too high and activity levels too low. When I was thin I also wasn’t on huge dose anti depressants and sleeping medication. I also cracked up and ended up in hospital for a couple weeks!! 

30 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Absolutely this.

Anyone who claims otherwise should probably present themselves at CERN or somewhere like where their non-compliance with the law of thermodynamics can be studied.

It’s not the case when you counter balance alcoholism with intermittent fasting schedules though. 

1 minute ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Is he the guy that jumps out of fridges?

I'll admit, you've lost me on this one.

Keto increases your ability to be whooshed. FACT.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Her face was nicer when it was a bit more rounded out IMO.

Some women look terrible when they get too skinny. Sarah Michelle Gellar for one.

4 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

So, are you meant to eat the plate as well as some sort of roughage?

That reminds me of Ronnie Barker's joke "There's a sequel to the F Plan diet. It's called the G Plan. You get so hungry you eat the furniture"

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Gotcha. I'm sufficiently de-whooshed.

I've never sat through a Pink Panther film. I mind sitting down to watch one when I was a wean and being thoroughly disappointed that the cartoon cat clearly wasn't going to come back  :(

I've put on quite a bit of weight over lockdown. I can probably be passed off as quite slim but I've a massive fucking gut. Went out for a run last night, managed half a KM before I was puffing out my arse. Struggled on until I hit 2.2KM. (With a good few walking breaks) The whole thing lasted 18 minutes. It was quite a sobering experience as I didn't realise I was that unfit.

I went home, have had 3 Buds (Utter shite, I know), a kebab and have a half bottle of white wine to polish off to help forget about the whole fail.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I went home, have had 3 Buds (Utter shite, I know), a kebab and have a half bottle of white wine to polish off to help forget about the whole fail.

Eat and drink yerself to fitness, mate.  Only a half bottle, though?

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Eat and drink yerself to fitness, mate.  Only a half bottle, though?

Remnants of my previous excursion. Promised myself I'd try and and cut down on the drink to aide with the fitness goal.

9 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

The whole ‘proud to be fat’ thing winds me up like. Being a slug of a human isn’t anything to be proud of. 

It comes from a good place in terms of trying to compensate for the stigma put on fat people.

As with anything like this it started as trying to reduce the impacts of depression and stress on people simply for being fat and goes too far to the point of people telling themselves they're 'perfect just the way they are'.

There should be a healthy balanced view that yes, you are overweight and yes, it's a bad thing, but it's fixable over time, it doesn't have to be a miserable diet and it's all in your control.

You just need to research, plan, make incremental changes, be disciplined and most importantly, be patient.

It comes from a good place in terms of trying to compensate for the stigma put on fat people.
As with anything like this it started as trying to reduce the impacts of depression and stress on people simply for being fat and goes too far to the point of people telling themselves they're 'perfect just the way they are'.
There should be a healthy balanced view that yes, you are overweight and yes, it's a bad thing, but it's fixable over time, it doesn't have to be a miserable diet and it's all in your control.
You just need to research, plan, make incremental changes, be disciplined and most importantly, be patient.
Yeah, theres a fine line between being "proud" of something that is damaging and that ultimately you should be trying to resolve, versus being constantly shamed over it, made to feel shite etc.

Trying to shame people into losing weight doesn't work because once you successfully make them hate their own bodies then it follows that they hate themselves and mental health problems are never far away at that point. The weight loss will probably not come, or not come in a healthy way.

Saying you are proud to be fat, which the human psyche regards as unattractive and is without any argument bad for you is nonsense though and too far that other way. Not being ashamed is not the same as being proud.