Obesity

4 hours ago, throbber said:

Again though do you think that the problem is that there’s not enough information that these individuals have access to?  This seems to boil down to awful parenting and incredibly stupid people who aren’t willing to help themselves. I don’t even blame the food chains either - if you have a busy day at a retail park and find yourself peckish then a McDonald’s drive through is ideal sometimes but if you’re having one of them a day then It’s not their fault you are a fat pig.

If the issue of obesity is going to be tackled properly then obese people need to address why they are that way and what factors are in/out of their control. I’d imagine most would claim it was down to long working hours and commutes to jobs they sit at a desk for, eating sugary food and drink to help them get through the day and not having the energy to cook fresh meals when they get in from work. Maybe then coronavirus will actually help this with more people working from home and having an extra couple hours a day for exercise and preparing fresh foods.

If i was having a busy day at a retail park i'd be wanting something faster acting than Mcdonalds, like hemlock. 

Again though do you think that the problem is that there’s not enough information that these individuals have access to?  This seems to boil down to awful parenting and incredibly stupid people who aren’t willing to help themselves. I don’t even blame the food chains either - if you have a busy day at a retail park and find yourself peckish then a McDonald’s drive through is ideal sometimes but if you’re having one of them a day then It’s not their fault you are a fat pig.
If the issue of obesity is going to be tackled properly then obese people need to address why they are that way and what factors are in/out of their control. I’d imagine most would claim it was down to long working hours and commutes to jobs they sit at a desk for, eating sugary food and drink to help them get through the day and not having the energy to cook fresh meals when they get in from work. Maybe then coronavirus will actually help this with more people working from home and having an extra couple hours a day for exercise and preparing fresh foods.

We have unintentionally created a unique environment in human history, where it’s easy to consume excess calories and get fat. Evolution makes humans one of the fattest primates anyway and in these circumstances it’s inevitable that we will see an obesity rise.

When people talk about educating people about food, it really comes down to families and learning by example and having eating habits that allow people to eat properly. When I was a kid we often ate three meals a day as a family, but now I have my own family it can be a struggle to get one meal in together (pre lockdown).

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We have unintentionally created a unique environment in human history, where it’s easy to consume excess calories and get fat. Evolution makes humans one of the fattest primates anyway and in these circumstances it’s inevitable that we will see an obesity rise.

When people talk about educating people about food, it really comes down to families and learning by example and having eating habits that allow people to eat properly. When I was a kid we often ate three meals a day as a family, but now I have my own family it can be a struggle to get one meal in together (pre lockdown).

The evolutionary bit is spot on. We have evolved to be able to put on fat to get through lean times. 

The modern economy means that lean times are rarer than they were. 

When the nuclear accident/ superbug/ meteor/ supervolcano Apocalypse comes, i'll have about 2 months more than skinny people and that could make all the difference. 

So really, fat people are providing a service to the evolution of humanity.

That’s why we have evolved to find fat and sugar more delicious than fibre. 

15 hours ago, virginton said:

There's a huge difference between middle class folk in their thirties all now trying to bake their own artisan spelt loaf and the vast swathes of people who still drop out of school at 16 thinking that Greggs and Rustlers' burgers are two of the major food groups and view vegetables as some sort of disgusting punishment. No amount of recipes on social media will alter the lack of basic skills, understanding and desire of the latter to do anything different.

I'll be honest, Rustlers' Burgers are fucking amazing and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'll be honest, Rustlers' Burgers are fucking amazing and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Their hotdogs are better, especially when you use both sauces.

You'll always gain weight if your calorie intake is greater than your body's requirements. The ultimate end products of metabolism are water and urea (which you pish out) and carbon dioxide that you breath out. You essentially only lose weight by breathing it off as CO2. Exercise requires more metabolism so your CO2 production is higher.

23 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

For future reference, if you question starts "Who eats chips with...", it's more than likely that @Sergeant Wilson is an acceptable answer.

Shut up!

The Chinese have learned a thing or two from us. How can they claim thousands of years of civilisation but it never occurred to them to make chips with curry?

Inspired by throbber I’m trying Keto today. Breakfast of bacon and eggs, fried in butter, lunch of cheese and salami and pork belly and salad for tea. Need to find an alternative to pork feel bad for the piggies.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Inspired by throbber I’m trying Keto today. Breakfast of bacon and eggs, fried in butter, lunch of cheese and salami and pork belly and salad for tea. Need to find an alternative to pork feel bad for the piggies.

You maybe already know this but 'trying' Keto for a day or two every now and then won't make any difference to your weight. It has to be a lifestyle, 7 days a week for several weeks before the mechanics take effect. I understand that in the beginning, it's brutal - your body basically reacts as if it's going through withdrawal. It requires a ton of self-discipline as even the occasional slip will undo days, if not weeks of work. You need to go all in, or not bother at all.

That said, your menu for the day sounds quite appealing.

On 31/07/2020 at 16:58, throbber said:

I’m stopping you right away jambomo I just bought a 2kg pocket of basmati rice for £2.20. That does about 20 servings of rice for an adult which comes in at less than 10p per portion. That is assuming you know how to cook rice which it appears a worrying number of people don’t if they opt for the packet option.

Yeah I just like cheese and bacon tbh.