Obesity

How not? 

I had a very basic barbell set up garage but we are moving house so have had to plonk loads and loads of stuff in the garage meaning it can’t be used for weights or my stationary bike. I also have tendinitis in my thumb which would’ve necessitated a break from training.

I’ll try and do some sprints in the park and make more time for walks but can’t lift. Ideally I lift as heavy weights as possible three times a week or more which means that doing a low cab/Keto diet isn’t ideal as you need more food if you are doing that. If I’m not lifting weights then it’s an opportunity to try and lose some weight.

50 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I had a very basic barbell set up garage but we are moving house so have had to plonk loads and loads of stuff in the garage meaning it can’t be used for weights or my stationary bike. I also have tendinitis in my thumb which would’ve necessitated a break from training.

I’ll try and do some sprints in the park and make more time for walks but can’t lift. Ideally I lift as heavy weights as possible three times a week or more which means that doing a low cab/Keto diet isn’t ideal as you need more food if you are doing that. If I’m not lifting weights then it’s an opportunity to try and lose some weight.

Do you even lift, bro?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Ah right, so you can still exercise then, just not your usual stuff. The way I interpreted your previous post was like you’d broken your back and were bed-bound or something.

18 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Ah right, so you can still exercise then, just not your usual stuff. The way I interpreted your previous post was like you’d broken your back and were bed-bound or something.

He’s probably gone blind from pulling his plonker too much.

Where you moving to Chris?
eta

C91D1CB5-AB30-4F02-AFFF-3599A41FA601.gif.71d4856ace26c772e4b0266b7525a684.gif

I’m moving next door to you, just so we can do the Keto diet together. Each morning I’ll slide through your window, lubricated by butter and then quietly rub lard into your gums as a gentle Keto breakfast.

I’m a fairly competent cook but still can’t do rice right!
Secret of perfect rice.

Using a fork take out 2 grains after 9 mins and put them in your mouth to test if they are ready. Test 2 grains every 30 seconds until they are perfect and then sieve the rice and serve.

Overcooked rice spoils any meal.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’m moving next door to you, just so we can do the Keto diet together. Each morning I’ll slide through your window, lubricated by butter and then quietly rub lard into your gums as a gentle Keto breakfast.

If only you could have moved at the start of lockdown and we could have more quality time together.

When my Mum first retired from nursing, she took a volunteer job teaching low-income families how to make tasty and nutritious meals on a budget. She gave it up after a few weeks because it was so dispiriting. Few of them were remotely interested in what she was telling them because it was far easier to phone a taxi and have them pick up a takeaway. Even when the takeaway place was just a few minutes walk away and the supermarket closer. Yet they refused to understand, or care that this was the reason they were broke and unhealthy. This was 30 years ago so the kids from those families are the parents of today.

And yes, I too would love to blame the Tories but I haven't yet found an angle. 🙂

38 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

When my Mum first retired from nursing, she took a volunteer job teaching low-income families how to make tasty and nutritious meals on a budget. She gave it up after a few weeks because it was so dispiriting. Few of them were remotely interested in what she was telling them because it was far easier to phone a taxi and have them pick up a takeaway. Even when the takeaway place was just a few minutes walk away and the supermarket closer. Yet they refused to understand, or care that this was the reason they were broke and unhealthy. This was 30 years ago so the kids from those families are the parents of today.

And yes, I too would love to blame the Tories but I haven't yet found an angle. 🙂

This is it sadly - some people are just a complete waste of time and space. Imagine having that low opinion of yourself that you don’t even make an effort to learn how to cook even the most basic of foods for yourself? Its crazy to think people used to actually have to rely on their basic instincts to survive in the wild only a few thousand  years ago. 

31 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

What comes first the chicken or the egg?   Also remember that many antidepressants lead to an increase in appetite and weight gain as a side effect.

We as a nation do have high rates of depression, the long winter and generally shite weather contribute greatly to this.

I’m on a high does of anti depressants, well that’s my excuse anyway!

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Are there any scholarly articles on links between obesity and depression?

Depression and obesity seem connected and as a nation we suffer from high rates of depression.

Can't say if it is depression or not, but the cure to obesity certainly isn't dieting. And helping someone's mental health is probably a good place to start.

On 31/07/2020 at 10:23, throbber said:

I recently got a book on keto which I read is something being prescribed by doctors for obesity, that and intermittent fasting being promoted by doctors is a positive thing rather than just recommending a calorie intake and to do more excercise.

The below post will be long and somewhat technical:

A lot of nonsense in written about Keto online but it is a pretty good strategy for losing weight. It has been used for people with diabetes and  epilepsy for nearly a century. The body changes from using glucose to keytones for its energy. It belongs to a range of diets that target hormonal regulation for their effect. Behind many of them lies the idea of reducing your "insulin sensitivity", that is your cells are resistant to the signalling of insulin. This means cells do not take in glucose from the blood as readily and the body has to produce more insulin to get the cells to absorb the glucose. The problem here is that insulin signals for hunger (its a complex process). So as you become more insulin resistant you feel hungry easier. Diets such as "low GI", that is diets that aim to have your bulk carbs from low gi foods:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/what-is-the-glycaemic-index-gi/

Diets that eliminate carbs like keto and diet patterns that aim to have periods when your body is not spiking insulin such as intermittent fasting all aim for the same effect on insulin sensitivity. 

To make matters worse for many, body fat reduces insulin sensitivity so the fatter you are the more you will feel hungry, given that many gain weight with high GI foods like sweets, highly processed carbs, etc then the problems are compounded. 

High fibre diets (which are low GI, mostly) also help with this but its a challenge to get fibre in with the keto. 

Another issue not brought up but really important is the role of sleep. If you do not get enough sleep you have less will power and the body is more likely to signal for hunger. So people not getting enough light during the day and too much at night find it hard to drop off. This leads to elevated levels of cortisol which causes some of the aforementioned effects. 

And there is rhythm. By eating at the same time every day your bodies hunger signalling synchronises to expect food at a certain time (the two most important hormones here are ghrelin and leptin). This is why intermittent fasting can also work, your body is only wanting 2 meals a day, not 3, you are not as hungry at random times so you can consume less calories during the full day.

So a short summary:

-Being fat makes you more likely to become hungry.

-Sweet or processed foods make the body crave food more quickly. 

-Good sleep builds will power. 

-Eating at the same time means your body is not demanding food all the time. 

Or shorter, eating some foods can make the body less likely to demand more food. 

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

What comes first the chicken or the egg?   Also remember that many antidepressants lead to an increase in appetite and weight gain as a side effect.

We as a nation do have high rates of depression, the long winter and generally shite weather contribute greatly to this.

Generally shite weather?

Unsure why so many folk make stuff up about the weather. The weather here is absolutely fine. Folk make out that it rains all the time, and that rain is somehow terrible. Neither are true. 

The much reduced daylight in winter is definitely a factor though, especially when so many folk work inside and don't get the chance to be outside and enjoy the daylight. They get up and it's dark out and then go and work inside somewhere for 8 hours and when they finish it's dark.

On the topic and eating and depression, I definitely think there's a link. I definitely developed eating disorders due to depression and have struggled with both for far too many years.