McGlynn’s Barmy Army vs Red Lichties (17.10.20)

He had at least 2 tackles which were definite bookings, plus another couple of niggly ones. Very lucky to stay on the park.

He would’ve needed to be close to players or the ball for this to happen so naturally I’m sceptical going by today’s game.

First one after 13 minutes, scythed Armstrong down (I think) just inside our half on the side closest to the camera. Second one was not given only because the tackle just before it in the centre circle was given as a foul, but he put Ethan Ross up in the air about 10 yards further forward.

51 minutes ago, A.K. Barr said:

£10 stake eh big timer what you going to do with all them winnings? emoji1305.png🤪emoji857.pngemoji857.png

Irrelevant what stake was put on. What a ridiculous thing to post. But I’ll certainly enjoy my night more than you chump. 💵😎

Because he's a dirty b*****d.

Frustration gets to players when things aren’t going well, i like it as long as its not stupid or dangerous.
I also remember raith players kicking f**k out of our players in the last 10 mins of the previous game at starks park because they were 1-0 down and the league was gone so dont start with the we’re a dirty team shite

I didn’t really think Arbroath are considered a dirty team, in fact wasn’t it only the last time we were at Raith one of their players put themselves out for the season for smashing Mckenna very cynically, even at our level.

I didn’t really think Arbroath are considered a dirty team, in fact wasn’t it only the last time we were at Raith one of their players put themselves out for the season for smashing Mckenna very cynically, even at our level.

It was Benidictus.

That was very, very good. Could've been more as well as we were a bit wasteful in the second half. 

Not a great start to the game for us it has to be said, with Macdonald making an excellent save and Arbroath missing a very good chance after our defence went to sleep wanting an offside. Once Armstrong scored, that was it - all us from there on. It was a moment of quality as well; a great hit into the bottom corner. I would say it given we went in three goals up, but the first half was entertaining: three goals, a great save, a sitter missed and the bar being hit also. 

There's been a rather odd phenomenon in some of these behind doors games where teams almost seem to capitulate when they concede and I wonder if that happened a bit to Arbroath today? They started off fairly well, but once the goal went in that was it. What ever it was, we got going and dominated the rest of the game. Was very impressed with the way we managed the game and we never looked like losing control of it. 

Second half I think we were pretty wasteful and should have had more, albeit that we could afford to be a bit casual given our lead. A nice problem to have, you might say. The key thing was at no point did we let the game slip from us and we kept at it, which is excellent to see. I think we could've made better use of subs, though. Duku took a couple of knocks and I'd have removed him around 70mins to protect a key player that we really can't afford to lose to injury. 

Can't fault anything about the performance. I wasn't very impressed with Ross against East Fife, but he looked dangerous today. Guess that's a classic trait of a young winger, but I'm confident he'll contribute well during his time here. Duku was excellent in the first half as well; bit rough around the edges in the second at times, but the attention he got from the defenders tells you all about the problems he's causing them. Tumilty can fairly shift as well, can't he! 

The second penalty today is something we are going to be seeing a lot this season, sadly. I can only hope that the rule change is reversed ASAP, because if it continues we're going to start seeing the ball blasted at the arms of defenders on purpose for an easy win. To give O'Brien a second yellow for that as well was a complete joke - absolutely nothing he could do about it. It's made even worse when you consider some of the other challenges in the game that went unpunished. 

Excellent start to the season. Welcome back, proper football! 

10 minutes ago, Mexico said:

I've no idea what Arbroath are "considered" normally, but going by the BBC's stats, Arbroath committed 23 fouls this afternoon. Not only is that the most in the SPFL today, it's four more than the nearest challengers. 

Dirty? Considerably so. 

I've no idea what Arbroath are "considered" normally, but going by the BBC's stats, Arbroath committed 23 fouls this afternoon. Not only is that the most in the SPFL today, it's four more than the nearest challengers. 
Dirty? Considerably so. 

23 fouls in a match isn’t excessive but I’m sure you already know that.

The Arbroath fans on the RaithTV chat were (mostly) well behaved (as were most of the Raith fans) and seemed to enjoy the quality of the stream. Thanks for joining us, and how does the Arbroath stream quality compare, in your experience?

Strange first half.  Arbroath pushed us in and were very well organised.  Then, after Donnelly (I think) missed that sitter, we absolutely battered them.

Great performances all round, and its testament that a team who are famed around their defending and organisation were so at sea today.  Duku ran those 2 centre backs absolutely ragged, and when you add in the combination of the pace at which we move forward at times, Arbroath just could not cope.  Night and day to the shite we were getting served up last time we shared a leauge.  The speed at which we can move forward is frightening.

Glad that Vaughan didnt get on, the risk was too great given how the game was going.   Duku, whilst never winning points for finesse, will give defences a rough time this season and was especially glad to see Armstrong have one of those games.  He is unplayable when he is like that, as inconsistant as he can be.

Was also please to see how hard the team worked when we didnt have the ball.  Especially Hendry, who put in some vital interceptions at the back.  That kind of work rate added to his general ability is very encouraging.

Real shame it only stayed at 3, especially when you look at some of the chances and the penalty miss. 

Arbroath, after impressing early doors, were dreadful.  Whilst Thomson has had a couple of good seasons for them, he looked today like the player I was happy enough to see leave us.  The penalty he gave away was just down to him being too slow, and very similar to one he gave away for us vs Albion Rovers. 

Early days, important not to get carried away by one good result, but was very satisfactory to win in that manner - especially aft  er how things went the last time we were in the same league.

Pleased with the defence.  After a bit of a dodgy start, we looked absolutely solid.

The commentary team referred to Bobby Linn as having played for the Rovers before.  That isnt right, is it?  I'm sure I've heard that a few times but I have absolutely zero recollection of it.