McGlynn’s Barmy Army vs Red Lichties (17.10.20)

Pleasantly surprised by how much better than Arbroath we were today, all over the park. Up until Bobby Linn shot straight at Jamie McDonald from an acute angle in the 91st minute, I don’t think Arbroath had a shot on goal in the second half. Our midfield bullied theirs and their centre backs struggled all day with Manny’s physicality. Armstrong and Ross looked dangerous on the break. Hard to pick a fault with anyone. Would’ve ideally stuck the penalty away for the icing on the cake, but that’s just nit picking. Great to have league football back.

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

That penalty is bullshit

It's a penalty under the nonsense rule change; a change which was made purely to make things easier for the VAR to award penalties. 

Once again, the whole game suffers because of an ineffective piece of technology implemented to appease people. The whole game, and in particular the majority of games which don't even use the VAR, ends up with joke decisions. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Pleasantly surprised by how much better than Arbroath we were today, all over the park. Up until Bobby Linn shot straight at Jamie McDonald from an acute angle in the 91st minute, I don’t think Arbroath had a shot on goal in the second half. Our midfield bullied theirs and their centre backs struggled all day with Manny’s physicality. Armstrong and Ross looked dangerous on the break. Hard to pick a fault with anyone. Would’ve ideally stuck the penalty away for the icing on the cake, but that’s just nit picking. Great to have league football back.

Dan Armstrong was fantastic  today. Feel like the competition of Ross and Vaughan being fit might be what gets him to hit the heights he can more regularly

Really impressed with us the day, once we got ahead we never looked back. Should have been more than 3-0 really. That penalty at the end and Red is really harsh on the Arbroath lad. This new law on handball in the box is ridiculous and to give a yellow for that after far worse wasn’t carded today is shocking.

Excellent win and performance, great way to start the season. The first goal changed the game, Arbroath were the better side until that point. Very surprised at the way they collapsed after that but credit to us for lifting our game.

Genuinely not a failure in the team. The midfield 3 of Tait, Matthews and Hendry were outstanding. The front 3 looked a threat every time they got the ball. When Armstrong is in the mood like that, he is a joy to watch. Full backs were good too and it’s nice to have a threat down both sides this season.

Even the much maligned Bene and Davo were very solid after the first goal, although Arbroath played into their hands with the amount of long balls towards them. Great save first half from MacDonald as well, could have been a different game if that had gone in.

The only criticism you can have is that we really should have scored more and were very wasteful in the second half but can’t complain too much after scoring 3.

Finally, that penalty and second yellow for the TOB was ridiculous. Would be raging if I was an Arbroath fan losing a key player because of that. 

We started slowly, with both sides middle doing well, then after a couple of Arbroath chances, things completely changed. Arbroath were “physical” the whole game, but it didn’t pay off for them. Not terribly disappointed the second penalty was saved, because the rule is shite. Anyone else notice five red cards across the Championship today?

Great start to the league campaign for Rovers. It would have been nice if we’d scored that penalty and made it 4-0.

I only saw about 10 minutes of it on Raith TV as my kids had things on. Missed all the goals. Not birthday parties for once. Swimming Club and skatepark this time. I can’t wait to be a pensioner.

I can’t wait to see Dick Campbell’s after  match comments. Hopefully Raith TV get that sorted. If you could get some footage of him just shouting “fuuuuuuuccckkk” and stomping on his bunnet, that would be entertaining.

Edited by Scary Bear