Hertz (Bad Guys) vs. Dees (Good Guys) Friday 16th October

2 hours ago, The Tackle said:

Serious question; Are Dundee fans actually confident of challenging for the title with Jack Hamilton in goals?

As others have pointed out, no. Not a cat in hell's chance. I can only assume he has some photographs of Tim Keyes in an uncompromising situation with a small rodent, or worse, a bird from Whitfield. There is literally no other explanation for his continued position as first choice keeper. He's Kelvin Jack-levels of awful. Most of us are realistic enough to know that we're playing for 2nd/3rd/4th. I'd expect Hearts to win the division by some distance. 

I'd genuinely go as far as saying Jack Hamilton is the worst keeper we've ever had. Obviously there's one off types like Schenk etc, but no-one has had such a sustained period of awfulness as Hamilton. Kelvin Jack is the regular go to for Dundee fans, but he proved he could do it when he bothered his fat arse. He kept Shaka Hislop out of the T&T side and went into the 06 WC as their starter, but much like he seemed to do quite a lot for Dundee he 'feigned' injury so he didn't have to play.

Derek Soutar is another that's sometimes mentioned. He was quite shit and like Hamilton, had a tendency to land on his feet by having Aberdeen sign him. Craig Samson is another, but I'd reluctantly admit he had a few saving graces that keep him from being the worst.

Genuinely can't think of a worse goalkeeper in my time supporting Dundee.

It would be a discussion for the ages as to what the bigger crime is/was - McCann thinking that having Moussa was our number one striker for over a season, or McPake thinking that Hamilton is a genuine number 1 goalie.

We did start to have a few decent results just before the COVID shutdown, but am struggling to see how we can do any better than a distant 2nd with Hamilton in goals and no back-up for Hemmings up front. 70-odd days to get that fixed....

On 02/08/2020 at 12:23, Rudolph Hucker said:

Come kick-off time in that first game, though, every last one of them will be crossing their fingers and hoping. 

I expect to win. I hope we completely humiliate your team. 

25 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

I expect to win. I hope we completely humiliate your team. 

Ah right, so it WILL be “fingers crossed” then. 🤞

BTW,  you don’t play “my” team till December. You play us twice at our place, so if fans are allowed and you personally decide NOT to boycott, I’d advise you to go to the seated terracing behind the goal (£35 I expect). The stand seating is quite cramped and I wouldn’t like to think your Billy BigBaws might get crushed.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rocatti must be up there, especially considering he brought about 8 coaches with him. 

Still Craig Samson for me though. 

I'd genuinely go as far as saying Jack Hamilton is the worst keeper we've ever had. Obviously there's one off types like Schenk etc, but no-one has had such a sustained period of awfulness as Hamilton. Kelvin Jack is the regular go to for Dundee fans, but he proved he could do it when he bothered his fat arse. He kept Shaka Hislop out of the T&T side and went into the 06 WC as their starter, but much like he seemed to do quite a lot for Dundee he 'feigned' injury so he didn't have to play.
Derek Soutar is another that's sometimes mentioned. He was quite shit and like Hamilton, had a tendency to land on his feet by having Aberdeen sign him. Craig Samson is another, but I'd reluctantly admit he had a few saving graces that keep him from being the worst.

Soapy was average, sometimes good. However THAT game at East End Park absolutely finished him. He genuinely played like someone had handed a goalie shirt to a pished supporter. Awful.
Rocatti must be up there, especially considering he brought about 8 coaches with him. 
Roccatti is a fair shout. Alleged pedigree and made a complete howler on his debut. In terms of ability versus cost he must be up there.

I think older fans were spoiled somewhat by having many years of the great Bobby Geddes between the sticks.

3 hours ago, Spikethedee said:

It would be a discussion for the ages as to what the bigger crime is/was - McCann thinking that having Moussa was our number one striker for over a season, or McPake thinking that Hamilton is a genuine number 1 goalie.

McCann also thought that Hamilton was his number 1, let's not forget. In fairness to Jack, he can pull a good game out once every few games, but that's nowhere near enough and usually when he does, the rest of the team is shite instead.

I fully believe we'll see another goalie come in, even if it's a loan again and not Hazard.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

McCann also thought that Hamilton was his number 1, let's not forget. In fairness to Jack, he can pull a good game out once every few games, but that's nowhere near enough and usually when he does, the rest of the team is shite instead.

I fully believe we'll see another goalie come in, even if it's a loan again and not Hazard.

I'm really worried we won't. We are going with a tightened budget this season for obvious reasons and there are areas that don't have any cover. Striker being 1 if we play 2 up top, CH being another if we continue with 3 at the back and we only have 1 natural winger in McDaid.

That's why it's up to Ferrie to prove his worth. It's now or never for his Dundee career IMO.

Hope you're right or hope Ferrie proves the Stirling fans correct. Much lower level of course, but he won both their young player and player of the year so he's worth a shot ahead of Hamilton.

Was Samson that bad with us?

I only really remember two really bad f**k ups where he cleared the ball into chasing forwards, were there more I've forgotten? Just remember him as being pretty average in the second tier with some good games and some suspect ones.

Don't think any dethrone Kelvin Jack for me. Genuinely think he had a howler a game almost, any long range shot was in and he'd collapse in a heap whenever he had the slightest contact. I suppose that was a good attribute as it got him off the pitch.

12 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I only really remember two really bad f**k ups where he cleared the ball into chasing forwards, were there more I've forgotten? Just remember him as being pretty average in the second tier with some good games and some suspect ones.

I honestly can't remember Samson ever having a good game. Maybe it's due to my disliking of him or maybe its because he's ginger. I dunno. He was rancid though. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I honestly can't remember Samson ever having a good game. Maybe it's due to my disliking of him or maybe its because he's ginger. I dunno. He was rancid though. 

I think we were quite good defensively that season, MacKenzie and Palenik were decent so I don't think he was ever under a huge amount of pressure. In all honesty, it was a very good season on the whole and points wise, would have won the league in a few years. Also soundly beat Motherwell in the cup, I think wed have given the top flight team a good game that year if the play-offs were a thing.

We were very lucky though as I think we offered a new contract and he turned it down which have us the opportunity to re-sign Rab.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

I think we were quite good defensively that season, MacKenzie and Palenik were decent so I don't think he was ever under a huge amount of pressure. 

That's one of the reasons I despise him. He had a fairly decent partnership in front of him and was still making mistakes. QOTS at Dens springs to mind, Palenik allowed the ball to go over his head to Samson who just refused to leave his line and cost us a goal. 

Samson was average, but he'll be remembered almost entirely for the two clearance howlers. Pageaud actually did something similar in one of his early games (might have been against the DABs) but largely redeemed himself in the following months/years.

Jamie Langfield didn't commit any real clangers that I can remember, but every time he played you always felt he had a couple in him, which he later demonstrated at Aberdeen. A decent keeper but with terrible lapses in concentration. Jack and Hamilton were/are two awful keepers in every sense.

4 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I think we were quite good defensively that season, MacKenzie and Palenik were decent so I don't think he was ever under a huge amount of pressure. In all honesty, it was a very good season on the whole and points wise, would have won the league in a few years. Also soundly beat Motherwell in the cup, I think wed have given the top flight team a good game that year if the play-offs were a thing.

We were very lucky though as I think we offered a new contract and he turned it down which have us the opportunity to re-sign Rab.

He was dreadful. He regularly kicked the ball of opposition players and we conceded twice (Possibly three times due to this). He had no presence, very little communication skills and was the sole reason for quite a few dropped points. 

The cup game you mentioned had Ludo in the goal as well!