Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Great result from Tranent Juniors today beating one of the LL title favourites, whilst Jeanfield Swifts push Kelty all the way at Central Park.

Of the 4 LL clubs left involved in the Scottish Cup, 3 are ex-Junior......

Must be nice that 5th place qualifies as a title favourite. Even before the season started most probably would have had them 4th-6th based on Kelty & EK's investment this year and Bonnyrigg's form from last season.

Which isn't to knock the achievement of Tranent Juniors with a quality win, it's a knock on East Stirlingshire that haven't really shown themselves to be sustainable title contenders beyond their first season.

Must be nice that 5th place qualifies as a title favourite. Even before the season started most probably would have had them 4th-6th based on Kelty & EK's investment this year and Bonnyrigg's form from last season.
Which isn't to knock the achievement of Tranent Juniors with a quality win, it's a knock on East Stirlingshire that haven't really shown themselves to be sustainable title contenders beyond their first season.

I think ES were listed in most people's top 3 given the substantial financial investment they've had, so yes they were one of the contenders.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

I think ES were listed in most people's top 3 given the substantial financial investment they've had, so yes they were one of the contenders.

Theyd still be well behind Kelty Bonnyrigg and East Kilbride despite the investment.Even think you could add BSC to that list before Shire. I'd say no they weren't one of the contenders,only very optimistic Shire fans would agree wi you there.They are by no means out of the league race but be hard pushed to get passed the above sides. I would be absolutely gutted today if I was a Shire fan though. 

20 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Theyd still be well behind Kelty Bonnyrigg and East Kilbride despite the investment.Even think you could add BSC to that list before Shire. I'd say no they weren't one of the contenders,only very optimistic Shire fans would agree wi you there.They are by no means out of the league race but be hard pushed to get passed the above sides. I would be absolutely gutted today if I was a Shire fan though. 

They're 3 points off second place.  As it transpires, Kelty are probably going to run away with it.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

With Scotland going into a COVID lockdown I am guessing that's the Fitbaw season suspended. Or are we still clinging to the "professional sports" exemption ?

Well tier 5 isn't much different to tiers 2-4 with their lack of testing so if they continue so should the LL (which also sees less miles travelled). Premiership will likely continue with their testing, tier 6 is probably the most likely to be at risk as there's more clubs and they are at a lower level. Scottish Cup only has one more round before the Premiership clubs come in, their opponents will be tested as well.

Edited by Ginaro

55 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

With Scotland going into a COVID lockdown I am guessing that's the Fitbaw season suspended. Or are we still clinging to the "professional sports" exemption ?

Can the League look into flying the teams out to Dubai for games? Has the bonus of no frozen pitches.

I have a feeling the league will continue - there were already travel bans between council areas (and into England) which didn't stop games previously, and unlike the earlier shut down each team at this level now has protocols in place and (so far) has proven they can hold games without any major incidents 

26 minutes ago, AlansHotBath said:

Can the League look into flying the teams out to Dubai for games? Has the bonus of no frozen pitches.

I have a feeling the league will continue - there were already travel bans between council areas (and into England) which didn't stop games previously, and unlike the earlier shut down each team at this level now has protocols in place and (so far) has proven they can hold games without any major incidents 

Protocols it seems  if you check the eos thread were not followed at a recent eos match. 

"for those involved in professional sports, for training, coaching or competing in an event" is considered an appropriate reason to go out, according to the Scottish Gov website (plus necessary travel for work). The SFA are liaising with the government, and SLFL will hopefully speak to the clubs to make sure they are happy with the league continuing. 

It's that time of year again (excuse the source being the Daily Heil). Of course as usual it won't go anywhere then we can repeat ad nauseam till the heat death of the universe.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9116655/Rangers-Celtic-given-green-light-fresh-plans-B-teams-entering-Scotlands-League-Two.html

New plans are under discussion for Celtic and Rangers colts teams to enter an expanded 16-team League Two.

A Rangers proposal to admit Old Firm B sides to the senior leagues as part of a league reconstruction blueprint failed to garner enough support from clubs last summer.

Following a request to the SFA’s Professional Game Board, however, Ibrox managing director Stewart Robertson has been given the green light to come up with a fresh bid - with the Glasgow clubs offering up to £1million as part of the agreement.

A working group chaired by Robertson, which includes Steve Brown of St Johnstone, Partick Thistle’s Gerry Britton, Stenhousemuir chairman Iain McMenemy and George Fraser of the Lowlands League, is swaying towards a proposal which would admit two colts teams, two teams from the Highland League and two from the Lowlands League to a bottom division beefed up from ten to 16.

The group have already met twice, with more discussions pencilled in for this month.

The hope is that a paper could be put to club chairmen in time to alter the league structure ahead of next season.

Privately, senior figures within the SFA and SPFL are sceptical that this latest attempt to shoehorn Old Firm youth players into the senior leagues will sway clubs who voted against it in the summer.

To sweeten the pill, Rangers and Celtic propose to pay an initial £125,000 for their B teams to join the league set-up, with further payments making up an overall injection of funds of £1m.

There is also a pledge for the Glasgow clubs to buy a minimum of 200 £15 tickets for every away game.

Both ideas are likely to feature in a revised options paper being put together by the working group.

And, to counter opposition to league reconstruction amongst Premiership and Championship teams, an expansion of League Two is seen as the path of least resistance. 

Sticking points to be resolved include the cash distribution breakdown and a glass ceiling on how high the Colts teams would go in the league set-up.

Concern also surrounds the integrity of the competition amidst fears that the Old Firm could play youth players one week and a handful of first team players the next.

In order to pass, any proposal needs the backing of 75 per cent across the Championship and Leagues One and Two - and 11 in the Premiership.

Given the shenanigans over the summer and the relegation of 3 clubs together with the refusal to enter into a Play-off or reconstruct, nothing would surprise me.

Looks like the LL are having a carrot dangled in front of them (probably auto promotion), and L2 clubs are both skint and terrified of relegation in equal measure. The OF sniff an opportunity.

What are the thoughts on continuing the season given the latest lockdown and the spike in cases? I know a few South of Scotland clubs have publicly expressed concerns and think there should be a pause and there's a good article on the Scotsman website about it: www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/comment-why-sfa-inaction-covid-dereliction-duty-3086797

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

What are the thoughts on continuing the season given the latest lockdown and the spike in cases? I know a few South of Scotland clubs have publicly expressed concerns and think there should be a pause and there's a good article on the Scotsman website about it: www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/comment-why-sfa-inaction-covid-dereliction-duty-3086797

I saw the Dalbeattie managers rant on social media and thought it was sheer hypocrisy. Clubs in the LL have been consulted with and given options to withdraw without punishment. In each and every occasion, league, Scottish Cup (except Gretna), South Challenge. Clubs have rejected that option. Now that everyone has received a chunk of money from the Government and the league have removed the option to withdraw, so relegation is a real possibility, certain teams aren't happy. Perhaps if clubs actually grew a pair and made decisions when they had the chance, like some of the WoS clubs did before the season started. Instead they want someone else to make the decision for them. I suppose its easier to blame the sfa though.