FairWeatherFan

Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

32 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Looking at the online reports on Nicola Sturgeon's briefing today it all looks set up for an announcement tomorrow of a delay on the return of fans.

My thoughts as well.

Will be bad for a lot of clubs relying on gate income. Not great but not unexpected.

17 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Looking at the online reports on Nicola Sturgeon's briefing today it all looks set up for an announcement tomorrow of a delay on the return of fans.

This has just been confirmed. Not sure what it means for the return of the football itself.

I had a brief window of optimism about being able to attend a game soon, but I'm back to thinking it won't be until nearer spring now. 

I wonder at what point some teams will consider withdrawing from competitive games for the season, rather than risk the financial impact of running a season without fans.

12 minutes ago, AlansHotBath said:

This has just been confirmed. Not sure what it means for the return of the football itself.

I had a brief window of optimism about being able to attend a game soon, but I'm back to thinking it won't be until nearer spring now. 

I wonder at what point some teams will consider withdrawing from competitive games for the season, rather than risk the financial impact of running a season without fans.

Well it would mean it will be reviewed for the 5th october. Season starts on the 10th october. Sturgeon is just an arse. We are back in pubs and schools. Ive been working in a supermarket the whole time and not one of us got it.  The answer is simple its pubs thats cuasing the problems put small limits on the amount of people inside at the one time. SOme places might want to book tables like you do. But for example if 150 people are at carmuirs park a ground that can take 3,000 people their is something wrong.

England have bigger problems because they had a bigger revolt over the wearing of masks.

Rather bizarrely it seems the English FA have thrown clubs out of the FA Cup if there are positive tests, mainly because the games won't get replayed. Will always be isolated cases, across all walks of life, can we really afford to have a non-season ?

Vale of Leithen are presumably about to have their floodlights ready within the next month, not seen any progress photos though

Edited by Ginaro

I was in Innerleithan on Thursday and stopped by the ground.

No sign of any floodlights or works for it but looks like the fencing is completed at the back. I can't remember if this was there last season

On 31/07/2020 at 12:32, boness4ever said:

It seems likely that there will be no Christmas and new year break this year(I could be wrong),so how about having local derbies,or as local as you can get on Dec 26 & Jan 2,Shire v Bo’ness and vice versa

Nice to see the fixtures man take my idea onboard 

If we get there, the SLFL are considering a group stage for the Lowland League cup this season.

I quite like that idea, it extends the season a bit more for teams who would otherwise be knocked out in the first round. 

I assume 4 groups of 4 once the league winners are in the pyramid play-offs. Could even make the groups vaguely regionalised where possible

31 minutes ago, gogsy said:

More games putting pressure on squads of 18-20 that will already be stretched to the limit this season.

Not sure I would class the Lowland League Cup as putting more pressure on squads. Wrapping up a full league season between October and April 17th does that.

Right so rugby player goes to party gets Covid it’s okay there allowed to keep playing no punishment and that’s on top of fans getting preference compared to football but when football players did it games suspended players punished clubs punished and wee Nik threatens to cancel everything aye good one lol 

Not a lot of Highland League players will live down here. But a lot of top players will be on the market if the West of Scotland League cancels the season? Lowland League clubs could have the pick of them for bargain deals. Like supermarket sweep in non league football.

19 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

How many clubs so far have made a commitment to start the season? Heard today the BU’s will.

I presume teams would need to provide financial evidence that they are fucked to be able to withdraw in December? If not then it's basically giving a free pass to some clubs to make sure they are still in the league in a years time.

Star ans Vale could do back room deal and pull out in December. Brucie bonus for them if Fairydean and Gretna got the drop instead.

I'd have thought if clubs pull out they might try and avoid relegation all together. The play-offs could still be honoured and the most extreme scenario would be ending up at 19 teams. Whereas more realistically they'd just end up at 16-18.

The SPFL rules and regulations are up to date as of 30th September 2020 and still includes the pyramid play-off. So I don't think this is true, but its getting talked about in certain circles even if it amounts to little more than gossip.

I wouldn't be surprised tbh, that cartel in League Two will be looking to protect themselves. 

Similarly, I've been saying for months that the Lowland League will find a way to have no one relegated at the end of the upcoming season.