Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

Well with “Outdoor contact sport” not cited to return until 17th of May, is anyone feeling a bit squeaky-bummed that we might end up with a Null & Void declared at some point in the next few weeks?

I know 17th May is more likely referring to contact sports for the general population but with regards the lower leagues resuming, the lack of clarity and silence is deafening. 

Getting to half games played for a ppg outcome shouldn't be mission impossible for the LL so we will likely see more games this season. If the SPFL's reconstruction plan goes through and two LL clubs get added to League Two next season there will need to be a competitive basis for doing so.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Well with “Outdoor contact sport” not cited to return until 17th of May, is anyone feeling a bit squeaky-bummed that we might end up with a Null & Void declared at some point in the next few weeks?

I know 17th May is more likely referring to contact sports for the general population but with regards the lower leagues resuming, the lack of clarity and silence is deafening. 

SG won't want to make a decision before the election. They know that Tier 5 and below has no power so they feel safe not doing anything remotely positive. They are only aware of the SPFL and of that only the Premier rings many bells with them (and indeed many politicians).

I sincerely hope that I am shown to be mistaken.

When are folk going to accept the season is over ? 17th may contact sport can resume for adults. Time players get some sort of training your way into June. It’s finished. Time to move on and get things sorted for next season which looks like normality with supporters back .

20 minutes ago, football.fan said:

When are folk going to accept the season is over ? 17th may contact sport can resume for adults. Time players get some sort of training your way into June. It’s finished. Time to move on and get things sorted for next season which looks like normality with supporters back .

ERJA & NRJFA have declared null & void and are likely to start next season early. Obviously, these leagues don't have promotion/relegation to worry about so it's easier to decide that, but I don't think there are many other options left for the pyramid leagues.

On 16/03/2021 at 20:17, LongTimeLurker said:

Getting to half games played for a ppg outcome shouldn't be mission impossible for the LL so we will likely see more games this season. If the SPFL's reconstruction plan goes through and two LL clubs get added to League Two next season there will need to be a competitive basis for doing so.

That proposal won’t get voted in, purely on the basis that enough clubs will listen to their supporters who don’t want the 2 Glasgow colt teams.

I think we may see a different outcome this time.  There is pressure to open up the gates more and the proposal would give everyone a bit of what they want, whilst not suiting everyone fully.

Cols teams - sorts out the pressure from the big two.

Expanded numbers - sorts out the LL and HL missing out again.

No relegation this round - let's the L2 clubs bricking it have another crack at playing their way out of trouble for another season.

For me (and clearly I'm biased) stick Kelty and Brora up given recent events, unless games can be played this season to a point where PPG can be used.

1 hour ago, leomessi1984 said:

I think we may see a different outcome this time.  There is pressure to open up the gates more and the proposal would give everyone a bit of what they want, whilst not suiting everyone fully.

Cols teams - sorts out the pressure from the big two.

Expanded numbers - sorts out the LL and HL missing out again.

No relegation this round - let's the L2 clubs bricking it have another crack at playing their way out of trouble for another season.

For me (and clearly I'm biased) stick Kelty and Brora up given recent events, unless games can be played this season to a point where PPG can be used.

My response to that would be, for L1/L2/LL/HL clubs, there are some parts of that that almost everyone would like and one utter turd in the punch bowl. If we all agreed that expanding L2, allowing one or two tier 5 clubs into the SPFL and saving a club form being relegated this season is good, well let's do that and tell the old firm to f**k right off.

The proposal needs a significant majority to vote for it to pass. Brechin and Albion Rovers might think selling out to delay relegation is worth it. Why would anyone not immediately threatened with relegation to tier 5 think that it's worth accepting at the expense of allowing colt teams into the league?

We should be very wary of colts entry being packaged up with other changes. If league reconstruction is good (which I think it definitely is at League Two/LL level) then enact that change, there's no need to Trojan horse colt teams in with it.

A sixteen club League Two is a very good solution (minus colts of course) if you bring in two automatic relegation spots, and an idea I've advocated on here before.

It increases fluidity between leagues at a time when a great many clubs are not at an appropriate level.

Current League Two clubs have a bigger buffer between them and relegation.

And it puts pressure on the Lowland League to add much needed relegation spots.

I'd like to see an enlarged League Two as well. There really isn't much between the 25th best and 75th best clubs in the country.

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

A sixteen club League Two is a very good solution (minus colts of course) if you bring in two automatic relegation spots, and an idea I've advocated on here before.

It increases fluidity between leagues at a time when a great many clubs are not at an appropriate level.

Current League Two clubs have a bigger buffer between them and relegation.

And it puts pressure on the Lowland League to add much needed relegation spots.

I'd like to see an enlarged League Two as well. There really isn't much between the 25th best and 75th best clubs in the country.

No one with any power is advocating for more relegation, let alone automatic relegation from SPFL2. Even under the 16 team idea.

As for putting pressure on the Lowland League to add relegation. I feel relatively confident that they will do that on their on accord before there's any change to the SPFL2 Play-off.

6 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

My response to that would be, for L1/L2/LL/HL clubs, there are some parts of that that almost everyone would like and one utter turd in the punch bowl. If we all agreed that expanding L2, allowing one or two tier 5 clubs into the SPFL and saving a club form being relegated this season is good, well let's do that and tell the old firm to f**k right off.

The proposal needs a significant majority to vote for it to pass. Brechin and Albion Rovers might think selling out to delay relegation is worth it. Why would anyone not immediately threatened with relegation to tier 5 think that it's worth accepting at the expense of allowing colt teams into the league?

Agreed, the money on offer isn't that much really, it won't even offset loss due to fans not going due to playing against colt teams and 3 fewer home games. It's really an awful plan and the HL/LL clubs are just thrown in there as an attempt to help that plan pass. There has been no thought whatsoever about improving the pyramid or actually addressing youth development. It's all just to help the ugly sisters and nothing else.

4 hours ago, Burnieman said:

What strikes me is the complete absence of an automatic relegation spot despite going to 16 clubs.

A complete sham and hopefully it doesn't get passed.

But club 42 isn't an automatic relegation spot as it stands right now and there is no automatic promotion spot outside the SPFL as it stands right now. It's very difficult to argue that BSC Glasgow have more right to be in next season's expanded L2 than Brechin do considering Brechin aren't in an auto relegation spot and BSC aren't in an auto-promotion spot.

I'd love to see a 16 team L2 with more clubs coming up from tier 5 and having 2 automatic relegation spots between 5 and 4 but refusing that purely on the grounds that Brechin aren't relegated when 6 tier 5 teams would effectively be given bonus promotions would take cutting your nose off to spite your face to absolutely monumental lengths.

But club 42 isn't an automatic relegation spot as it stands right now and there is no automatic promotion spot outside the SPFL as it stands right now. It's very difficult to argue that BSC Glasgow have more right to be in next season's expanded L2 than Brechin do considering Brechin aren't in an auto relegation spot and BSC aren't in an auto-promotion spot.
I'd love to see a 16 team L2 with more clubs coming up from tier 5 and having 2 automatic relegation spots between 5 and 4 but refusing that purely on the grounds that Brechin aren't relegated when 6 tier 5 teams would effectively be given bonus promotions would take cutting your nose off to spite your face to absolutely monumental lengths.
My point is, automatic relegation should be on offer from next season onwards as part of a deal for Colts and expansion. It isn't. There is no benefit to LL or HL beyond 2 teams up this year.

20 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

My point is, automatic relegation should be on offer from next season onwards as part of a deal for Colts and expansion. It isn't. There is no benefit to LL or HL beyond 2 teams up this year.

Oh right. I thought you meant this season. Yeah. Not even one automatic relegation spot from an expanded 16 team L2 is a joke and should not be allowed to happen.