Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

2 minutes ago, the tin man said:

When will we hear outcome of meeting

Going to guess the follow up statement to the announcement will have covered the basics. Which is why there hasn't been further news from people. Lower leagues of SPFL, SWPL1, and some HL clubs for Scottish Cup are returning but doing so under PCR testing. So everything else is still on hold until even further notice.

If this kit is OK'd at Government level how quickly could it be brought in for use at Pyramid matches i.e. on players, club, league and match officials? Would need sponsorship or could SFA or Leagues or Clubs fund it somehow ?

www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/new-covid-test-trialled-by-hearts-aims-to-get-fans-back-inside-full-stadiums-sooner-3153656

The new BioSure kit works by testing saliva with the outcome confirmed within minutes and verified via a smartphone app.

A negative result would represent a supporter’s passport into crowded events, and Hearts are keen to utilise the method if government officials approve it.

Testing kits can be mass produced through WSA Healthcare, whose subsidiary FOYS Medical sponsor Hamilton Academical’s ground.

WSA’s chief executive Chris McKendrick explained that the method would allow thousands to self-test for the virus and could get stadiums back to capacity next season.

Each test costs between £10 and £13.50, whereas PCR tests currently used by football clubs range from £60 upwards.

“The beauty of the BioSure test is because of its accuracy and price, it’s doable. It has already been CE approved, now we just need government approval,” said McKendrick.

“Utilised properly, this system would ensure everyone around about you has been shown to be virus-free, so you could fill up to capacity again. It’s exciting.

“Our job now is to get out there and speak to various businesses and try and get people back. Some of the lower-league clubs aren’t playing just now and they’ve had to fork out on expensive PCR testing during the week.

“If this is much more affordable and we can help them do it, that’s a big plus.

“I believe some of this could help now. Realistically, if we can get government approval, I don’t see why we can’t be there for the start of next season with confidence.

“We have links with football through sponsoring Hamilton and we have links with other clubs including Ann. So if we can get the support of the clubs and everybody else, hopefully we can push it a bit quicker.”

The app can be used for testing prior to large-scale events like sports matches and concerts. “The PocDoc app will be more useful if you were going to a stadium with 60,000 people or 70,000 at a rugby match at Murrayfield,” added McKendrick.

“That has all your details so there’s no way of cheating it. You do your test, you get our result within 15 minutes, that will be uploaded for you and you get a confirmation.

“Effectively that’s your pass to get into the stadium. We’re now in a confident position and we’re reaching out to people. We can provide it in vast quantities and, if people want it, we can provide it very soon.”

Decisions on who would fund the tests have yet to be made. “If you go to a local place you may get a PCR test for £60-80, if you go to an airport or have to quarantine you’re hearing well over £100,” said McKendrick. “We think it’s going to be between £10-13.50, depending on volume.

“Who pays for that? The fan? The club? Can it be subsidised by government? These are the things we are speaking to people about. There is obviously a big desire to get the economy going and that will only happen if we get people back into stadiums like Tynecastle.”

League One and Two looking to extend the season by two weeks to allow for a 22 game season, if the Highland League don't put forward a champion club then that potentially gives the LL four extra weeks in which to restart in time for the play-off.

Seems like testing is required just now but if that changed next month then there would be enough time for the league to begin at the end of April and get to 50% with Kelty only needing to play 4 or 5 games.

Edited by Ginaro

If the costs could be financed (as it is much cheaper than the PCR) would that allow Pyramid football to return? If all Pyramid leagues got together, each knowing how many games need to be covered in their own league, couldn't they get a better deal i.e. for bulk purchase?

How many games to play in the LL ? What cost per game? 

Ironically it may even be cheaper to vaccinate than to repeatedly test.

Hey guys assume LL will be up and running this month, fingers crossed. Any confirmation on how many games you’re going for? I notice L1 and L2 are looking at 22 rather than 18. Just great to get the teams playing again. Not going to lie I’m so glad we’ve still been playing in the Championship, it must utterly suck for the teams below during this period.

On 04/03/2021 at 16:15, Dev said:

If the costs could be financed (as it is much cheaper than the PCR) would that allow Pyramid football to return? If all Pyramid leagues got together, each knowing how many games need to be covered in their own league, couldn't they get a better deal i.e. for bulk purchase?

How many games to play in the LL ? What cost per game? 

Ironically it may even be cheaper to vaccinate than to repeatedly test.

But AFAIK the vaccine isn't available yet outside the NHS.

Hey guys assume LL will be up and running this month, fingers crossed. Any confirmation on how many games you’re going for? I notice L1 and L2 are looking at 22 rather than 18. Just great to get the teams playing again. Not going to lie I’m so glad we’ve still been playing in the Championship, it must utterly suck for the teams below during this period.
No leagues below the SPFL can play at the moment.

On 04/03/2021 at 10:21, Dev said:

If this kit is OK'd at Government level how quickly could it be brought in for use at Pyramid matches i.e. on players, club, league and match officials? Would need sponsorship or could SFA or Leagues or Clubs fund it somehow ?

www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/new-covid-test-trialled-by-hearts-aims-to-get-fans-back-inside-full-stadiums-sooner-3153656

The new BioSure kit works by testing saliva with the outcome confirmed within minutes and verified via a smartphone app.

A negative result would represent a supporter’s passport into crowded events, and Hearts are keen to utilise the method if government officials approve it.

Testing kits can be mass produced through WSA Healthcare, whose subsidiary FOYS Medical sponsor Hamilton Academical’s ground.

WSA’s chief executive Chris McKendrick explained that the method would allow thousands to self-test for the virus and could get stadiums back to capacity next season.

Each test costs between £10 and £13.50, whereas PCR tests currently used by football clubs range from £60 upwards.

“The beauty of the BioSure test is because of its accuracy and price, it’s doable. It has already been CE approved, now we just need government approval,” said McKendrick.

“Utilised properly, this system would ensure everyone around about you has been shown to be virus-free, so you could fill up to capacity again. It’s exciting.

“Our job now is to get out there and speak to various businesses and try and get people back. Some of the lower-league clubs aren’t playing just now and they’ve had to fork out on expensive PCR testing during the week.

“If this is much more affordable and we can help them do it, that’s a big plus.

“I believe some of this could help now. Realistically, if we can get government approval, I don’t see why we can’t be there for the start of next season with confidence.

“We have links with football through sponsoring Hamilton and we have links with other clubs including Ann. So if we can get the support of the clubs and everybody else, hopefully we can push it a bit quicker.”

The app can be used for testing prior to large-scale events like sports matches and concerts. “The PocDoc app will be more useful if you were going to a stadium with 60,000 people or 70,000 at a rugby match at Murrayfield,” added McKendrick.

“That has all your details so there’s no way of cheating it. You do your test, you get our result within 15 minutes, that will be uploaded for you and you get a confirmation.

“Effectively that’s your pass to get into the stadium. We’re now in a confident position and we’re reaching out to people. We can provide it in vast quantities and, if people want it, we can provide it very soon.”

Decisions on who would fund the tests have yet to be made. “If you go to a local place you may get a PCR test for £60-80, if you go to an airport or have to quarantine you’re hearing well over £100,” said McKendrick. “We think it’s going to be between £10-13.50, depending on volume.

“Who pays for that? The fan? The club? Can it be subsidised by government? These are the things we are speaking to people about. There is obviously a big desire to get the economy going and that will only happen if we get people back into stadiums like Tynecastle.”

This has a heavy whiff of bullshit to it.

Oh Dear. How about checking out what experts say? I am no expert but others who are don't seem to agree with you. BS about to hit the fan .... at last:

An extract from the Sunday Times posted on Twitter by one of the Lowland League clubs:

Experts find no evidence that Covid transmitted on field | Sport | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

Experts find no evidence that Covid transmitted on field

Martyn Ziegler

Sunday March 07 2021, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

Not a single case of on-the-field transmission of the Covid-19 virus has been confirmed in football, rugby union, rugby league or American football during a full year of the pandemic, medical experts have revealed.

Detailed tracing of players who have tested positive for the virus has been carried out in all the sports but in every case the transmission was put down to off-the-field contact, such as in meeting rooms, cars and indoor activities.

The sports’ findings should provide a strong argument that outdoor community and elite sports can be played with minimal risk to the participants — and perhaps that grassroots and women’s rugby union can return without the need for the adapted rules that have banned scrums and mauls.

9 hours ago, Dev said:

Oh Dear. How about checking out what experts say? I am no expert but others who are don't seem to agree with you. BS about to hit the fan .... at last:

An extract from the Sunday Times posted on Twitter by one of the Lowland League clubs:

Experts find no evidence that Covid transmitted on field | Sport | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

Experts find no evidence that Covid transmitted on field

Martyn Ziegler

Sunday March 07 2021, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

Not a single case of on-the-field transmission of the Covid-19 virus has been confirmed in football, rugby union, rugby league or American football during a full year of the pandemic, medical experts have revealed.

Detailed tracing of players who have tested positive for the virus has been carried out in all the sports but in every case the transmission was put down to off-the-field contact, such as in meeting rooms, cars and indoor activities.

The sports’ findings should provide a strong argument that outdoor community and elite sports can be played with minimal risk to the participants — and perhaps that grassroots and women’s rugby union can return without the need for the adapted rules that have banned scrums and mauls.

Did they consider football matches where no testing at all is taking place? Can you post up the full article please as it is behind a paywall.

I'm hugely skeptical of that headline. It's impossible to prove whether someone caught a virus in a changing room or ten minutes later on the field.

I'm of the opinion that playing football is extremely low risk, and I also put a lot of stock in science, but findings like that and their subsequent reporting are very deliberately framed.

22 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

How else can they get the 4 non-league teams to add to the OF colts for the new look 16 team SPFL2 :)

Yip, that guy is worth the watching.  It wasn't so long ago he was calling for L2 relegation to be suspended for 3 seasons.

13 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Yip, that guy is worth the watching.  It wasn't so long ago he was calling for L2 relegation to be suspended for 3 seasons.

Maybe he knows something that hasn't come out yet? Otherwise it does seem odd.

Getting Tier 5 back would, at least give a chance for the play-offs to happen. If only.....

1 minute ago, Dev said:

Maybe he knows something that hasn't come out yet? Otherwise it does seem odd.

Getting Tier 5 back would, at least give a chance for the play-offs to happen. If only.....

The reason I had a joke about it is because he's on the work group put together around expanding SPFL2

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-celtic-b-plan-returns-23273437

• Rangers and Celtic plus top two sides from Highland and Lowland Leagues to join a 16-team League Two.

No relegaton from League Two this season.

• A glass ceiling for the Colts sides meaning they couldn’t progress beyond League 1 for first two years to be reviewed thereafter with potentially the Championship becoming the glass ceiling.

• A £250,000 combined payment from Rangers and Celtic for first season to be distributed between the SPFL clubs - rising to £1m over first four years.

• A guarantee that both sides will buy at least 200 tickets for every away match.

52 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The reason I had a joke about it is because he's on the work group put together around expanding SPFL2

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-celtic-b-plan-returns-23273437

Yes. I am aware of this stuff but he is also in a decent position to know if there are going to be any relaxations of the current football restrictions re covid.