Jump to content
FairWeatherFan

Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

I get it. I really do and to be honest with you my views are probably formed out of self interest. I’ve been stuck at home since the middle of March and the only thing preserving my sanity is watching the live streaming of LL games. Take that away and insanity will surely follow.

It's tough for everyone, it's tough for those who are reluctant to be on the pitch or helping off it.  It's tough for players and coaches having to self-isolate for 10 days and losing wages. A pause for a few weeks to help "flatten the curve" and get things under some control again would be a responsible move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It's tough for everyone, it's tough for those who are reluctant to be on the pitch or helping off it.  It's tough for players and coaches having to self-isolate for 10 days and losing wages. A pause for a few weeks to help "flatten the curve" and get things under some control again would be a responsible move.

There is no proof a 3 week pause would flatten a curve and as far as football at this level is concerned I’m not sure there is a curve to flatten. However if there is data to support it then great I’m convinced. 

From the health care professionals I have spoken to the biggest single risk for the spread of the virus at the moment is supermarkets. I think the reason SG and their advisers aren’t paying any attention to the game at this level is simply down to what they have assessed the risk levels to be.

I agree it’s tough for those who don’t wish to play but why should we only be focusing on them? What about the players who do want to play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I'm afraid I don't excuse your scepticism, given the facts on the ground. Have you seen the case rate in D&G? Around Gretna and Stranraer it's off the scale - about 2% of the entire population of those town have tested positive in the past week. That's literally 10 times the rate when we all thought Lanarkshire was manky. And there will likely be many others who are asymptomatic or who haven't been tested yet.

Are you saying that the only clubs entitled to voice an opinion on this are those at the top?

They have only asked for a suspension, not for the league to be cancelled. And as for them not having pulled out before... you're talking about a time when there were very few cases in D&G. They'd have had to be clairvoyant to see this coming.

I don’t think I am. In fact I have no idea how you got there. 

They’re are 17 teams in the Lowland League. We’ve heard from 1 and all of a sudden everyone wants football stopped. Perhaps we should consider what everyone wants before making a decision.

I’m pretty sure all the epidemiologists posting on this subject will be able to explain why me and everyone else who wants the game to continue are wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
There is no proof a 3 week pause would flatten a curve and as far as football at this level is concerned I’m not sure there is a curve to flatten. However if there is data to support it then great I’m convinced. 
From the health care professionals I have spoken to the biggest single risk for the spread of the virus at the moment is supermarkets. I think the reason SG and their advisers aren’t paying any attention to the game at this level is simply down to what they have assessed the risk levels to be.
I agree it’s tough for those who don’t wish to play but why should we only be focusing on them? What about the players who do want to play?
Several clubs have come out today and basically said it is no longer an acceptable risk, are they wrong? Teams have just come out of self-isolation on Monday there after positive cases resulting from a match two weeks ago, some lost wages, is it right to ask them to continue playing and risk the same thing happening again this week? Then there's committee where I think we all know a high percentage fall into the priority category for vaccinations.

Is it really too much to ask to have a pause whilst we're in lockdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Burnieman said:

Several clubs have come out today and basically said it is no longer an acceptable risk, are they wrong? Teams have just come out of self-isolation on Monday there after positive cases resulting from a match two weeks ago, some lost wages, is it right to ask them to continue playing and risk the same thing happening again this week? Then there's committee where I think we all know a high percentage fall into the priority category for vaccinations.

Is it really too much to ask to have a pause whilst we're in lockdown.

I’m not aware of any teams in the Lowland League having to self isolate. Doesn’t sound as though the health board concerned is following the correct guidelines either. The clock starts on self isolation from the moment an individual tests positive and that duration is 10 days. If this is happening elsewhere (I’m not questioning you by the way) then I agree it needs to be dealt with. I’m not unsympathetic to the older committee members who are in the at risk category but the situation is the same as it was when they all decided to start the season, we’re in the midst of a pandemic with no guarantees when things will improve. Ultimately each individual needs to make decisions for themselves and stop relying on someone else to make that decision for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m not aware of any teams in the Lowland League having to self isolate. Doesn’t sound as though the health board concerned is following the correct guidelines either. The clock starts on self isolation from the moment an individual tests positive and that duration is 10 days. If this is happening elsewhere (I’m not questioning you by the way) then I agree it needs to be dealt with. I’m not unsympathetic to the older committee members who are in the at risk category but the situation is the same as it was when they all decided to start the season, we’re in the midst of a pandemic with no guarantees when things will improve. Ultimately each individual needs to make decisions for themselves and stop relying on someone else to make that decision for them.
You fail to understand just what is going on. Both Musselburgh and Blackburn players had to isolate for 10 days due to a Musselburgh player testing positive, a Blackburn player then tested positive a couple of days later which underlined the self-isolation, with a strong possibility it was contracted on the pitch.

All players and coaches had to self isolate for 10 days, some lost wages.

Now we have to ask them to play again on Saturday (if game is on) and for what? There's no fans, there's barely any money in it, and it's an increasing risk. The FM today said "we must radically reduce the number of interactions people have"

In light of all that, I think a pause is the right thing to do regardless of whether football needs to or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
38 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

You fail to understand just what is going on. Both Musselburgh and Blackburn players had to isolate for 10 days due to a Musselburgh player testing positive, a Blackburn player then tested positive a couple of days later which underlined the self-isolation, with a strong possibility it was contracted on the pitch.
All players and coaches had to self isolate for 10 days, some lost wages.

Now we have to ask them to play again on Saturday (if game is on) and for what? There's no fans, there's barely any money in it, and it's an increasing risk. The FM today said "we must radically reduce the number of interactions people have"

In light of all that, I think a pause is the right thing to do regardless of whether football needs to or not.

Perhaps your right then. Perhaps teams at that level should stop. If they are incapable of sticking to the protocols laid down by the governing body and the league is struggling to ensure its members comply then yeah, shut them down. I did  misunderstand I thought you were talking about teams in the Lowland league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jerry Macguire said:

 

Sorry Burnieman don’t know what happened there. I’m on my mobile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who said they didn't follow protocols? You do realise players can be asymptomatic when playing the game and find out later, but by then have passed it on, on the pitch. That's a weekly risk regardless of protocols and league.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Who said they didn't follow protocols? You do realise players can be asymptomatic when playing the game and find out later, but by then have passed it on, on the pitch. That's a weekly risk regardless of protocols and league.


 

Other sources. Teams using dressing rooms despite not being approved. Committee using indoor areas with little or no social distancing, providing hospitality, shaking hands etc. Also, many (not all) of the grounds below tier 5 are of a lesser standard making it harder to follow protocols.
Anyone can be asymptomatic what do we do hide under the bed until it all goes away? Even the top medical experts on this forum will tell you this is not a virus that is going away. At some point we will need to live with it and move on. Is that going to be 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years? Right now people are claiming this new London strain is the reason for shutting everything down so what do we do 6 weeks from now when a new South African strain makes an appearance?

As I said earlier their are 17 teams in LL let’s go with what the majority want.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Informer said:

A lot of assumptions there, however,  happy to agree to disagree. 
 

People are basically arguing that Nicola Sturgeon has no idea what the Marymass game is despite being from Irvine if they are claiming the SG don't grasp what junior football is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Other sources. Teams using dressing rooms despite not being approved. Committee using indoor areas with little or no social distancing, providing hospitality, shaking hands etc. Also, many (not all) of the grounds below tier 5 are of a lesser standard making it harder to follow protocols.
Anyone can be asymptomatic what do we do hide under the bed until it all goes away? Even the top medical experts on this forum will tell you this is not a virus that is going away. At some point we will need to live with it and move on. Is that going to be 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years? Right now people are claiming this new London strain is the reason for shutting everything down so what do we do 6 weeks from now when a new South African strain makes an appearance?

As I said earlier their are 17 teams in LL let’s go with what the majority want.

 

None of that is true in this case.

As for the rest of it, well, that's straying into Covid denial territory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

None of that is true in this case.

As for the rest of it, well, that's straying into Covid denial territory.

No it's not, it's just not hysterical rhetoric because one club in relegation trouble in the league below had one positive covid test which may or may not have been as a result of playing a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No it's not, it's just not hysterical rhetoric because one club in relegation trouble in the league below had one positive covid test which may or may not have been as a result of playing a game.
No its not, but as you are only here to stir the shite as normal, you're best ignored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Burnieman said:
35 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
No it's not, it's just not hysterical rhetoric because one club in relegation trouble in the league below had one positive covid test which may or may not have been as a result of playing a game.

No its not, but as you are only here to stir the shite as normal, you're best ignored.

"Jerry Maguire" posted a view point that differed from yourself and you accused him of "covid denial". That's hysterical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

"Jerry Maguire" posted a view point that differed from yourself and you accused him of "covid denial". That's hysterical.

No, first he tried to second guess the circumstances I described which were wrong, and then slid off into "whats the big deal anyway".  How about you stop trying to stir the shite over something you dont have a clue about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

No, first he tried to second guess the circumstances I described which were wrong, and then slid off into "whats the big deal anyway".  How about you stop trying to stir the shite over something you dont have a clue about.

Forgot no one is allowed an opinion on these threads once you make your mind up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marshmallo said:

Forgot no one is allowed an opinion on these threads once you make your mind up 

Forgot you're just here to stir the shite and generate a few more red dots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and the wee weirdo now goes on a red dotting frenzy again.  The guy needs help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Who said they didn't follow protocols? You do realise players can be asymptomatic when playing the game and find out later, but by then have passed it on, on the pitch. That's a weekly risk regardless of protocols and league.


 

Genuine question, are your team considering stopping playing, or have they approached the league with their concerns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...