Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

My ideal number down would be a dynamic system of 3. If all 3 tier 6 feeder winners are licensed 3 go down. If only two licensed then two go down. The tier 6 leagues already require dynamic relegation to their tier 7 so it doesn't change much in that regard.

Mozza on the latest podcast saying the SOS are looking at moving down a tier (the worst kept secret in Scottish football apparently :unsure:). Now that combined with 2 relegations places would be perfect to get "ventilation" in the pyramid...

10 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Mozza on the latest podcast saying the SOS are looking at moving down a tier (the worst kept secret in Scottish football apparently :unsure:).

Not sure I would put a ton of stock in it beyond the general assumption that most people have from the outside that think the SoS will move down or integrate into the WoS at some point. After all the conversation around that started off based on George Fraser's appearance on another podcast.

On 03/05/2021 at 23:55, Ginaro said:

Fortunately if Brechin go down later this month then it's unlikely a HL team will be club 42 next season, which means the bottom LL club won't escape relegation.

Has the LL actually come out and said that VOL won't be relegated this season even if Brechin wins the playoff?

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Has the LL actually come out and said that VOL won't be relegated this season even if Brechin wins the playoff?

No, they've get quiet on things publicly. One of the reasons for their panicked statement around the time of PPG being declared. Once certain dominoes fell (T6 null & voided, Brechin City as Club 42). I think they've been hoping the whole time they won't have to make a public decision on it and can say they would have relegated if things went the other way.

19 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

No but the fact they went to 17 to save VOL last season indicates they will just continue with 17 so that no club is relegated once again.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

Does the VoL chairman have a dossier of compromising photos of various LL officials? Why on Earth are the LL doing everything they can to keep them up?

To be fair neither season has been completed in full so I don't think it's the worst decision to play with 17 to not relegate any club (while still allowing Bo'ness promotion). 

Edited by Ginaro

21 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Does the VoL chairman have a dossier of compromising photos of various LL officials? Why on Earth are the LL doing everything they can to keep them up?

At the time the clocks stopped in 2019-20 there wasn't much in it at the bottom with some of the teams to still play each other.

image.png.1897c040e64038daf5b18cd4aeb95269.png

This year the LL Board were quite happy to throw them under the bus to get the SPFL Play-off organised. VoL have just been lucky with the way things have transpired since then with no Tier 6 Champion declared.

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

At the time the clocks stopped in 2019-20 there wasn't much in it at the bottom with some of the teams to still play each other.

This year the LL Board were quite happy to throw them under the bus to get the SPFL Play-off organised. VoL have just been lucky with the way things have transpired since then with no Tier 6 Champion declared.

Even if there was a tier 6 champion there would still need to be a board decision to go back to 16 clubs for them to be relegated.

On 14/05/2021 at 11:55, Footballfirst said:

Recall: No team is to be disadvantaged by the inclusion of the two Colts teams...

On 04/05/2021 at 16:44, GNU_Linux said:

My ideal number down would be a dynamic system of 3. If all 3 tier 6 feeder winners are licensed 3 go down. If only two licensed then two go down. The tier 6 leagues already require dynamic relegation to their tier 7 so it doesn't change much in that regard.

There must be a system in place to allow either a constitution of x teams/x+1 teams at all times in both Tier5 Leagues, particularly in the LL. This, to avoid situations arising where the (at this time) 2nd.-last teams cannot be sure of relegation/survival at Tier5 in the current season, depending on the SPFL playoffs. Rather, in a season when a team drops into the LL from the SPFL, without replacement, the x+1 team allowance is invoked and that creates an extra relegation position in the following season.

8 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

If the OF Colts for one season was the price to pay for two relegation spots this season, would folk here accept that?  Might quell some of the anger from fans... 

I have long advocated for more relegation from the LL, so I'd definitely see that as a positive. But colts is no price worth paying for that imo.

On 16/05/2021 at 11:20, Cornishman said:

Ummmmm. Forgive me if I missed summat, but surely the 21-22 LL would actually end up with 19 teams in it with 2x Colts, if Kelty fail to beat Brechin next week?

Think they could still technically ditch Vale of Leithen given they finished bottom in a season that was not null and voided. Not suggesting that would actually happen though.

14 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

If the OF Colts for one season was the price to pay for two relegation spots this season, would folk here accept that?  Might quell some of the anger from fans... 

It would maybe help relationships with the WoS and EoS, although I could only see one auto and one PO at best, but it's better.

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It would maybe help relationships with the WoS and EoS, although I could only see one auto and one PO at best, but it's better.

Don't really see point in an inter-tier play-off between Tier 5-6. The LL season finishes two weeks earlier than the other pyramid leagues due to the way the SPFL2 Play-off plays out.

In a normal season that takes 4 weekends to play with a variety of different scenarios that could flip 15th from relegation play-off/automatic relegation/safety and see 14th dragged into it.