Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

2 hours ago, RampantFM said:

Only reason they are training is for the playoff game?

2 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Yeah but they resumed training with a date in mind for the play off against each other. Postponing those games to who knows when means they could potentially have started later and avoided any unnecessary costs associated with testing. Let’s not forget they don’t have access to the kind of free money afforded to SPFL clubs this season. Compensation aside the whole thing is a complete joke. Someone at the SFA/SPFL needs to grow a pair and make a decision.

Brora had already resumed training due to the Scottish Cup, and Kelty were complaining that they wanted to be allowed to train even earlier than they were, so I don't think either club would have started any later.

Reading between the lines, I feel like the decision has been provisionally made by the SPFL Board to go ahead with it, but in light of Brechin's complaints they are double checking their legal position to make sure that they aren't going to be found to have breached the rules. I reckon there are many within the SPFL Board (and clubs) who don't want it to happen, but they have no way within the rules to prevent it. Brora getting licensing approval the other day is the last genuine hurdle for it unless there's some legal argument I'm missing. A fairly ITK journalist (think it was Stephen McGowan) suggested that they'd get the legal advice by the end of the week.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Brora had already resumed training due to the Scottish Cup, and Kelty were complaining that they wanted to be allowed to train even earlier than they were, so I don't think either club would have started any later.

Reading between the lines, I feel like the decision has been provisionally made by the SPFL Board to go ahead with it, but in light of Brechin's complaints they are double checking their legal position to make sure that they aren't going to be found to have breached the rules. I reckon there are many within the SPFL Board (and clubs) who don't want it to happen, but they have no way within the rules to prevent it. Brora getting licensing approval the other day is the last genuine hurdle for it unless there's some legal argument I'm missing. A fairly ITK journalist (think it was Stephen McGowan) suggested that they'd get the legal advice by the end of the week.

Brora had to stop training again once they exited the Scottish Cup. I’m pretty sure the SFA and SPFL have lawyers on tap as it were, so the fact it’s taking this long would suggest they’re either not very good or not very sure. Hopefully you’re right and we will have clarity soon.

18 hours ago, morley said:

Another advantage of the delay is that if it had gone ahead and lets say Brora came out on top and looking favourites, the whole only played 3 games to be champion thing would have become even more strongly the whole focus for those arguing against. I think most people even if support the idea are less comfortable around Brora as champion than Kelty. So the delay is maybe for the best until the SPFL have made a decision. Don't make it easier for the SPFL to make a decision against the playoff happening.

To be fair they played 26 the previous season only to be told it was all meaningless, for some reason I still cannot fathom, given football continued after a fairly brief hiatus.

1 hour ago, bluearmyfaction said:

To be fair they played 26 the previous season only to be told it was all meaningless, for some reason I still cannot fathom, given football continued after a fairly brief hiatus.

It wasn't meaningless - they won the Highland League title and earned their place in the Betfred Cup as a result. They didn't play the play-off because it was not legally possible to play professional football in Scotland until July, by which point the new season was ready to get underway.

12 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

Nothing. It’s all gone very quiet, which concerns me.

Probably on the 20th draft of their press release. If they had made a decision by now then you would have expected something to have leaked out from someone by now. 

Edited by morley

23 minutes ago, gaswork said:
1 hour ago, Big Dougie said:
Yes, the juniors are still dead.emoji23.png

At least it was alive and kicking for over 100 years and had a long and famous history as opposed to this shambolic sham that can't even get bloody started several years down the line ffs

And they reason they died??? They hardly moved on in that 100 years, and passed up many chances to modernise, they are now consigned to that “famous history” you go on about.

This tweet makes a reasonable point:

That was my impression as well. Reasonable to assume that the first game not going ahead on Saturday shows a decision or decisions associated with how the two tier 5 league champions were declared is under some sort of active appeal process at the SFA rather than SPFL level?

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Why would they play each other if they don't know if SPFL will put Brechin forward to contest the playoff?

I'd assumed they'd want to get the games done and have a winner to put forward so that Brechin then don't have the get-out clause that the first round didn't take place? Same principle as declaring league winners on PPG, it might turn out to be pointless but why not plan for the best situation?

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

This tweet makes a reasonable point:

That was my impression as well. Reasonable to assume that the first game not going ahead on Saturday shows a decision or decisions associated with how the two tier 5 league champions were declared is under some sort of active appeal process at the SFA rather than SPFL level?

It’s certainly an assumption not sure it’s reasonable 

44 minutes ago, andrew21 said:

Guys on Sportsound saying there might be  decision on Wednesday

Waiting to see the result of tomorrow night's Brechin game maybe given if they loose I believe that is them confirmed as club 42. 

Edited by morley

With the delay i'm wondering if they're now going to cram the play-offs to include midweek dates. League One/Championship Play-offs are Semis 8th & 11th May. Final 15th & 18th May. Those dates would give Club 42 over a week off so they can't complain about a run of games without a break.

I have similar thoughts SPFL trying to delay the Brora v Kelty ties to force them to play Sat/Tues as opposed to Saturday/Saturday, which would help out club 42, a shorter recovery time for the HL/LL winner would certainly help Club 42, 2 potentially 4 games in the space of 7 to 10 days would be hard going after not having played in so long especially for Kelty.