Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

He has been on nearly every forum trying to act the keyboard warrior, he will probably stop when he goes back to school after the holidays.

Edited by Big Dougie

In fairness to andrew21 he does make a fair point.  Vale are the whipping boys on this forum and it's the same rubbish that's spouted.

'Saved by the pandemic', 'get them to f**k' etc.  And now we have "Here’s hoping all their whinging has cost them any goodwill they had from the majority of LL clubs & the LL board."

A very strong statement from someone who then offers up the 6 year history of his club.

Vale were founding members of the Lowland League and have 'survived' in the league since it started - 8 seasons.

As their manager pointed out they have a track record of surviving the drop.  It's easy to say they were saved by the pandemic the last two seasons - but nobody can say 100% that they'd have been relegated in those two seasons - yes it looked very likely....but it was never 100% fact.  Perhaps they'd have repeated the Houdini act?

Oh, and Vale were formed in 1891 - will BSC be around in 130 years?

The length of time some clubs have been in existence is meaningless here when talking about Vale. Is my view that Vale should be relegated more relevant because the club I support happen to have been hanging around since the 1880s, and that they are whinging when the league has been favourable to them previously? No. What is the founding date cut-off when your opinion becomes valid? 

As you say Vale of leithen haven't really been near getting relegated prior to the last couple of seasons and in 2019/20 and 20/21  seasons they weren't guaranteed to go down (although they probably would have been favourites to).
They've finished 4th bottom or lower since 15/16. They are clearly stagnating and should be relegated to make way for a more ambitious club.

After all, it's the same argument that gets levelled at Brechin, Albion Rovers etc for why they should make way for the LL clubs.

VoL will have a valid reason to complain if they get relegated after less than half a season being played.

My issue is the hypocrisy of the league and many posters bleating about the lack of movement between tier 4 and tier 5 while simultaneously bending over backwards to make excuses for the lack of movement between tier 5 and 6.

14 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

They've finished 4th bottom or lower since 15/16. They are clearly stagnating and should be relegated to make way for a more ambitious club.

After all, it's the same argument that gets levelled at Brechin, Albion Rovers etc for why they should make way for the LL clubs.

Like, say Duns or Selkirk?  What signifies 'ambition'?  Vale have their own ground, they've bent backwards to get floodlights fitted - the money spent on maintaining their ground and getting the lights could have been spent on recruiting better players?

They have as much right to be in the Lowland League as any other team - until they are relegated the right way.  It might be next season, maybe not.

"They've finished 4th bottom or lower since 15/16."   Perhaps some negative comments and attention should also be paid to Dalbeattie - a team who've also graced the bottom for the last few seasons?

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

VoL will have a valid reason to complain if they get relegated after less than half a season being played.

My issue is the hypocrisy of the league and many posters bleating about the lack of movement between tier 4 and tier 5 while simultaneously bending over backwards to make excuses for the lack of movement between tier 5 and 6.

As far as I am aware the LL have accommodated promotion from tier 6, regardless of other circumstances, Bo’ness’ promotion last year being the prime example.

Like, say Duns or Selkirk?  What signifies 'ambition'?  Vale have their own ground, they've bent backwards to get floodlights fitted - the money spent on maintaining their ground and getting the lights could have been spent on recruiting better players?
They have as much right to be in the Lowland League as any other team - until they are relegated the right way.  It might be next season, maybe not.
"They've finished 4th bottom or lower since 15/16."   Perhaps some negative comments and attention should also be paid to Dalbeattie - a team who've also graced the bottom for the last few seasons?
I don't disagree with you but as I said it is the same argument that is levelled at the teams near the bottom of league 2 all the time. They are bed blockers stopping the more ambitious LL clubs.

If you are following that argument then the exact same can be said for Vale, Dalbeattie etc at the bottom of the LL.

I don't disagree with you but as I said it is the same argument that is levelled at the teams near the bottom of league 2 all the time. They are bed blockers stopping the more ambitious LL clubs.

If you are following that argument then the exact same can be said for Vale, Dalbeattie etc at the bottom of the LL.
They're no really bed blockers they just happened to be forward thinking clubs when the lowland come about. Had the pandemic not hit the said teams u mention would be out league

23 hours ago, Big Dougie said:

As far as I am aware the LL have accommodated promotion from tier 6, regardless of other circumstances, Bo’ness’ promotion last year being the prime example.

Bo'ness ended up in a de facto automatic promotion situation given that Stranraer Reserves "won" the SoSFL. The SPFL promoted everyone in an automatic promotion place and relegated everyone in an automatic relegation place when 2019/20 was ended by the pandemic.

The hypocrisy is people thinking Brechin or Kelty should move up or down for finishing in a play-off spot but VoL should not for finishing in an automatic relegation spot.

Okay if its facts you want we are 6 years old, we'll be 7 very shortly (not sure of the exact date). In that time we have had a 4th, two 3rds and a 2nd in the league. We've won the league Cup and been runner up once. We've won the South Challenge Cup and been runner up once, we're also finalists in that competition for a 3rd time. That game is outstanding from the 2019/20 season. Oh and we got ourselves to the 5th round of the Scottish Cup. No bad eh?

Aye, but can yous do it on a cold tuesday night at kpark jerry?

Definition of a diddy team : counting runners up as an achievement. 5th round of the Scottish cup, not so impressive when you realise thats a bye, win against pub league team from Lochee and a win against an absolutely  honking East Kilbride team from last season. Decent result against East Fife though.

Take your face for a shite andrew.

5 hours ago, johnmc80 said:

Aye, but can yous do it on a cold tuesday night at kpark jerry?

Who knows but I’d love to at least try. Perhaps when they stop kicking the LL round like a political football we’ll get a chance to find out.

16 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Bo'ness ended up in a de facto automatic promotion situation given that Stranraer Reserves "won" the SoSFL. The SPFL promoted everyone in an automatic promotion place and relegated everyone in an automatic relegation place when 2019/20 was ended by the pandemic.

The hypocrisy is people thinking Brechin or Kelty should move up or down for finishing in a play-off spot but VoL should not for finishing in an automatic relegation spot.

No one ever said Brechin or Kelty deserved anything more than the opportunity to play in the play offs Gordon. Ideally we would want automatic promotion and relegation in and out of all the leagues but that is some way off for a number of reasons. The VoL situation is they finished bottom by quite some margin the last 2 seasons and they benefited from the current situation in a similar way Brechin benefited last season. The difference being finishing bottom of the LL is (usually) an automatic relegation spot. What’s annoyed people this season, including myself about VoL is their reaction towards the league and the board when they thought they might face relegation due to the decision to end the season on PPG. Don’t forget had the LL board not convinced the SFA to allow them to expand to 17 teams they would have been relegated last season. Ultimately VoL have benefited the last 2 seasons and they can now prepare themselves for getting pumped by pretty much every other team in the league for yet another season.

So much rage for Vale of Leithen on here , last two supporters are hilarious, one supports a club that stunk out the SFL/SPFL for years and the other that hasn't been near getting into  SPFL in their short time in the seniors.

I supported the introduction of the pyramid and knew fine well we'd be the first victim.

It was brought in to stop clubs like mine (and now Brechin) from holding a spot way above where they should be.

We have found our level and VOL need to do the same, that's all.

16 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:

I supported the introduction of the pyramid and knew fine well we'd be the first victim.

It was brought in to stop clubs like mine (and now Brechin) from holding a spot way above where they should be.

We have found our level and VOL need to do the same, that's all.

Sad but true mate.

Monday 19th April 2021

SPFL STATEMENT

REACTION TO EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE  SPFL PLAYOFF PROPOSALS

Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPFL, commented: “The SPFL stands alongside UEFA, the SFA, the European Leagues, the Highland League, the English Premier League, the Lowland League, and the overwhelming majority of the game’s stakeholders in vehemently opposing the proposed European Super League. cancellation of the SPFL Playoff.

“These proposals, or any like them, would have an enormously damaging impact on the very fabric of our sport at all levels. It is no surprise they have been so swiftly and overwhelmingly condemned by fans the world over. 

“We believe that any such ‘competition’ would dramatically undermine the global appeal of football and would be financially catastrophic for all but a very tiny minority. 

“The proposals we have seen, assembled by a small, self-selected group of very wealthy self interested clubs, appear to be a cynical and very worrying attempt to thwart the core principle of sporting merit which rightly underpins European Scottish football.  They represent a clear and present danger to the sport we all love.

“Now, more than ever, given what we have all been through over the past year, governments, together with the game’s governing bodies and leagues, need to work together to do what is right and protect the very essence of the game.  

“The SPFL stands ready to support all efforts to fight for the principles of solidarity, sporting competition and fairness which lie at the very heart of the game.”