Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...the Ken Ferguson story on their website can be read in a way that suggests they are doing just that. I don't think George Fraser did the LL any favours last season by tilting at windmills over the playoffs being cancelled for COVID related reasons. Doing that has left some people with the impression that the SPFL can bin the playoffs on a whim. They can't.

Bit of a stretch that. What was the LL Chairman meant to do? 

1 hour ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Bit of a stretch that. What was the LL Chairman meant to do? 

Keep things factual. From what I remember he was arguing through the media that the SFA were in control of the Club 42 game when according to the rules it does get organised by the SPFL rather than the SFA. The SFA didn't pursue the matter last year after all the noise George Fraser made because the SPFL were actually within their rights to do what they did and could have been challenged legally by Brechin if they tried to do anything else.

The LL board don't have the greatest track record on understanding what's happening. The handling of who was the bottom club after Selkirk's record got expunged, the conferences debacle on WoS when it was already well documented that the SFA were opposed to having more than 16 clubs in a tier 6 feeder, and having to be told that the U20 league wasn't covered by the professional exemption being other recent examples. Having to be told by the SFA that they couldn't nominate a champion for a season they were about to null and void and that they had to do it by PPG to meet the rules that are in place really takes the biscuit though.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

11 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Kelty and Brora should get the lawyers on the fone asap.....,the SFA need to grow a pair as well !!

BCFC pumped again today,enough is enough they're not good enough for the SPFL.

Exactly that! SPFL can’t keep making things up as they go along. 

25 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Keep things factual. From what I remember he was arguing through the media that the SFA were in control of the Club 42 game when according to the rules it does it get organised by the SPFL rather than the SFA. The SFA didn't pursue the matter last year after all the noise George Fraser made because the SPFL were actually within their rights to do what they did and could have been challenged legally by Brechin if they tried to do anything else.

The LL board don't have the greatest track record on understanding what's happening. The handling of who was the bottom club after Selkirk's record got expunged, the conferences debacle on WoS when it was already well documented that the SFA were opposed to having more than 16 clubs in a tier 6 feeder, and having to be told that the U20 league wasn't covered by the professional exemption being other recent examples. Having to be told by the SFA that they couldn't nominate a champion for a season they were about to null and void and that they had to do it by PPG to meet the rules that are in place really takes the biscuit though.

Always nice of you to twist the knife into people you don't like based on your own assumptions.

Kelty and Brora should get the lawyers on the fone asap.....,the SFA need to grow a pair as well !!
BCFC pumped again today,enough is enough they're not good enough for the SPFL.

If BCFC win the playoffs then they deserve their spot in SPFL regardless of how shite they've been this season. However I expect them to put up a Berwickesque defence and be facing the Mechanics of Forres this time next year.

If there's any real doubt about the playoff going ahead I'll be writing to Mr Maxwell.

Hopefully LL making a stand on this issue will have the bonus effect of an overdue relegation for Vale of Leithen.

1 hour ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

Exactly that! SPFL can’t keep making things up as they go along. 

Spot on, this could be a defining moment in the future of the pyramid.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Keep things factual. From what I remember he was arguing through the media that the SFA were in control of the Club 42 game when according to the rules it does get organised by the SPFL rather than the SFA. The SFA didn't pursue the matter last year after all the noise George Fraser made because the SPFL were actually within their rights to do what they did and could have been challenged legally by Brechin if they tried to do anything else.

This is false. The SPFL breached their own rules by cancelling the Pyramid Playoff, because this could only be done with the consent of the Highland League, Lowland League and the SFA. I had sympathy with the SPFL's position because it was clearly impossible to actually play the game, and I suspect that is why it was not pursued any further by the SFA. However, no such argument applies this year, and therefore I would fully expect a challenge to be lodged with the SFA if they do not go ahead with the Playoffs.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

If BCFC win the playoffs then they deserve their spot in SPFL regardless of how shite they've been this season. However I expect them to put up a Berwickesque defence and be facing the Mechanics of Forres this time next year.

If there's any real doubt about the playoff going ahead I'll be writing to Mr Maxwell.

Hopefully LL making a stand on this issue will have the bonus effect of an overdue relegation for Vale of Leithen.

Vale of Leithen will be spared relegation no matter what. 

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Vale of Leithen will be spared relegation no matter what. 

Tbf they too are advocating the pyramid, quote tweeting Stephen Swift.

Wonder if they'd missed him saying this too though. If they saw it, even more fair play!

I wonder if Brechin have an amazing run of form in last few games (i know seems v unlikely), and Annan end up bottom. Might we see a more positive attitude from the SPFL. Annan although pre pyramid and in for 13 years, are still to some extent viewed as the new boy, and the loss of Annan may not be seen as the same threat to the establishment compared to a Brechin or for that matter Cowdenbeath or Albion Rovers.

Edited by morley

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I was so full of hope when you started with keep things factual. It’s an interesting take. Completely wrong by the way, but interesting none the less. Clearly George is living rent free in your head.

42 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Tbf they too are advocating the pyramid, quote tweeting Stephen Swift.

Wonder if they'd missed him saying this too though. If they saw it, even more fair play!

Pretty sure they didn’t bother about where the goal posts were last season when the LL moved them to save them from relegation.

Not sure what the surprise is here. Everyone in football is only out to get the best deal for themselves. All players cheat to win decisions to help win games, it’s ingrained in the sport. Clubs/boards trying to use the rules to help their club situation goes on at every available opportunity at every level.

Although a better system for promotion/ relegation from L2 needs to be worked on and implemented, let’s be honest being declared a league champion after 3 league games is the biggest joke of them all, and that’s saying something in Scottish football.

As ever, the squabbling will continue,  regardless of what decisions are made. 

14 minutes ago, big al said:

let’s be honest being declared a league champion after 3 league games is the biggest joke of them all, and that’s saying something in Scottish football.

Brora and Kelty were both reigning champions and because the leagues were told by the SFA they couldn't put them forward to the pyramid play-off if they went null & void, they had to declare them champions on PPG (they were still both top anyway). Don't think any HL/LL club has a problem with that.

1 hour ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Get yourself's over to the Brechin City thread on the League 2 forum......

To be fair most are saying they should go down,but one guy is saying that the LL/HL had more of a case last season.....WTF !!!!

Well Brora quite clearly had a better case to be considered HL champions last season than points per game after, erm, three games played (and 0 for others) this season. I'd presume that's what he's getting at.

In reality there's a good case for combining performance over the two campaigns to get the right outcome and there's no doubt which three sides deserve to be involved over that. There can also be no doubt after today that Brechin merit being flushed down the pan to rebuild (or not) at their natural level. 

Edited by vikingTON

10 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Brora and Kelty were both reigning champions and because the leagues were told by the SFA they couldn't put them forward to the pyramid play-off if they went null & void, they had to declare them champions on PPG (they were still both top anyway). Don't think any HL/LL club has a problem with that.

The reaction of PPG being used wasn't all positive from VoL and those with ties to Bonnyrigg Rose.

The only thing that has made these decisions largely palatable is that it is looking like a repeat of the 2019-20 SPFL2 Play-off that never happened.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The reaction of PPG being used wasn't all positive from VoL and those with ties to Bonnyrigg Rose.

The only thing that has made these decisions largely palatable is that it is looking like a repeat of the 2019-20 SPFL2 Play-off that never happened.

I’m not sure VoL can complain too much, the league was expanded last year to keep them in.