Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

Maybe I’m a closet Kelty fan. [emoji23]You should read the article above, clubs were consulted. It’s really interesting that Vale of Leithen benefitted from goal posts being moved mid season last season but are raging because it might go against them this season. You couldn’t  mark their necks with a blow torch. 
It's a fair explanation, but it does smack of Kelty's moans are more important than VoL's moans. I wonder who said that ppg must be used and on what basis. The HL are using ppg when some clubs haven't even kicked a ball. Bonkers.

It's an entirely predictable statement from VOL.  I don't know how it will play out, but the LL management is obviously keen for a club to get the opportunity to compete in the SPFL play-offs.  That too is perfectly understandable. 

It should be noted that VOL finished bottom and only remained in the LL at the end of last season because the LL scrapped relegation, while allowing promotion from the EOS Premier League (Bo'ness), meaning that the LL had 17 teams this season.  VOL had played 23 of 30 games (77%) so would have been relegated had the LL adopted the SPFL's approach. I'm unaware of any similar questioning of the LL's approach then. In some ways they are in a similar situation to Brechin.

The EOS Premier League has played, on average, around a third of the league programme. If they ended the season on PPG, then the top 3 would be Jeanfield Swifts @ 2.56, Tranent 2.33 and LTHV 2.2.  (Tranent is currently top on points).

I hope that they can come to some compromise in the LL that would allow promotion from the EOS Premier League (the SOS and WOS have gone the Null & Void route) but the consequence would be that the LL may have to run with 18/19 with additional relegation spots following season 2021/22. 

Edited by Footballfirst

13 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

You can’t use common sense with him Jerry. I posted the relevant rule and he has ignored that, he will not engage with anything that doesn’t suit his agenda.I suspect he is deliberately trolling, and is best ignored.

You've flipped and flopped all through this thread, "I dont know, I dont know" when you clearly do and have a LL board agenda to push, then get very defensive when pushed.  Trolling? aye whatever.

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

You've flipped and flopped all through this thread, "I dont know, I dont know" when you clearly do and have a LL board agenda to push, then get very defensive when pushed.  Trolling? aye whatever.

😂😂👍 Not a clue, carry on trolling.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The likely reason that relegation is left uncertain is that there is a Play-off permutation that could see the LL go to 19. I don't see them getting relegated.

In one respect, more teams in the LL next season will allow for a bigger turnover of teams currently playing at a level above their ability the following season. e.g. if you went from 19 next season to 16 in 22/23 then at least the 4 weakest sides would have dropped out (assuming one club promoted to the LL). 

33 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
42 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:
Maybe I’m a closet Kelty fan. emoji23.pngYou should read the article above, clubs were consulted. It’s really interesting that Vale of Leithen benefitted from goal posts being moved mid season last season but are raging because it might go against them this season. You couldn’t  mark their necks with a blow torch. 

It's a fair explanation, but it does smack of Kelty's moans are more important than VoL's moans. I wonder who said that ppg must be used and on what basis. The HL are using ppg when some clubs haven't even kicked a ball. Bonkers.

If I were to speculate who within the SFA then I would probably go for Maxwell or Petrie. As George sits on the Professional Game Board, I’m pretty sure that guidance will have come from the highest level within the SFA.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

If I were to speculate who within the SFA then I would probably go for Maxwell or Petrie. As George sits on the Professional Game Board, I’m pretty sure that guidance will have come from the highest level within the SFA.

In fairness, it falls in line with what the West Region were told when it came to claiming the Scottish Cup qualifying spot for their champion. They had to declare the league. How they did that was upto them. Null & Voiding while nominating a club wasn't acceptable.

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

In fairness, it falls in line with what the West Region were told when it came to claiming the Scottish Cup qualifying spot for their champion. They had to declare the league. How they did that was upto them. Null & Voiding while nominating a club wasn't acceptable.

I didn’t know that but at least it shows consistency.

1 minute ago, Marten said:

I don't think an 18 team LL would be bad anyway, all clubs have floodlights now. If the HL can do it, the LL should definitely be able to do it.

I don’t think the SFA are keen on an 18 team league. 16 seems to be the preferred number. Not sure why, possibly something to do with supply of match officials.

5 minutes ago, Marten said:

I don't think an 18 team LL would be bad anyway, all clubs have floodlights now. If the HL can do it, the LL should definitely be able to do it.

I'm not entirely sure the HL will max out at 18. Wouldn't be shocked if they go back down to 16.

The HL has had to play games once the SPFL2 Play-off has started a few times. A more competitive title race with longer travel distances if Tayside is involved makes it more likely for midweek games to cram the fixtures in.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

The whole point of making an agreement before games were played was that clubs would not know what position they'd be in at the point the league needed to be called. The agreement was put in place specifically because everyone knew there would be a significant chance the season would be cut short for reasons outside the control of any club.
Of course VoL are throwing the toys out the pram because they could be adversely affected but if that agreement was made, then they're entirely justified in doing so. At last we can finally put this idea that the LL are any more about "sporting integrity" than the SPFL right into the bin.
VOL are treading water. I would've relegated them last season.

They deserve to go down.

Kelty deserve to be champions, purely after the shamble that was last season.

I can see the arguement about fixtures etc but they won the league fair and square last season with no reward.

I'd be cool with an expansion to 18 and Jeamfield joining, but if we promote we need to relegate too.

Cya VOL

Listening to George Fraser interviewed on Clyde 1 this evening ("we will go all the way with this") sounds like the LL/HL are shaping up to taking legal action against the SPFL unless they agree to a club 42 playoff this year. Certainly really putting the pressure on, and with the rumoured agreement reached of tier 6 leagues including a midland league feeding into the HL, will put even more pressure on the spfl if club 42 is Brechin as seems likely.

52 minutes ago, morley said:

Listening to George Fraser interviewed on Clyde 1 this evening ("we will go all the way with this") sounds like the LL/HL are shaping up to taking legal action against the SPFL unless they agree to a club 42 playoff this year. Certainly really putting the pressure on, and with the rumoured agreement reached of tier 6 leagues including a midland league feeding into the HL, will put even more pressure on the spfl if club 42 is Brechin as seems likely.

I think the legal route could also be made by Club 42 in the spfl.

George I suspect will be on a backhander from Rangers re the Colts proposal so is putting as much pressure on as possible to try and frighten L2 Clubs to accept the Colts proposal.

AT LEAST LL TEAMS HAVE PLAYED AT LEAST 10 GAMES MINIMUM. TO DECLARE BRORA CHAMPS AFTER 3 GAMES IS RIDICULOUS. TEAMS IN PLACES 3 TO 5 HAVE 100% RECORDS FROM 2 GAMES. STRATHSPEY HAVE NOT EVEN PLAYED ONE GAME. THEY COULD HAVE PLAYED A KNOCKOUT CUP STYLE WITH WINNERS DECLARED CHAMPS. ONLY 4 ROUNDS. SURE HL COULD PAY FOR OR GET SOME ONE TO PAY FOR COVID TESTS ETC