Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

...and most LL clubs appear to have been OK with this. People are allowed to change their minds when faced with an unprecedented set of circumstances and new SG policies on weekly testing that were not on the radar when the season was starting. Clubs balked at proceeding any further because of the expense associated with that.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

21 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...and most LL clubs appear to have been OK with this. People are allowed to change their minds when faced with an unprecedented set of circumstances and new SG policies on weekly testing that were not on the radar when the season was starting. Clubs balked at proceeding any further because of the expense associated with that.

The whole point of making an agreement before games were played was that clubs would not know what position they'd be in at the point the league needed to be called. The agreement was put in place specifically because everyone knew there would be a significant chance the season would be cut short for reasons outside the control of any club.

Of course VoL are throwing the toys out the pram because they could be adversely affected but if that agreement was made, then they're entirely justified in doing so. At last we can finally put this idea that the LL are any more about "sporting integrity" than the SPFL right into the bin.

44 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It is perhaps you that appears upset by someone merely asking for clarity which wasn't forthcoming until now (you claimed you didn't know).

It's now clear that an agreed process was in place at the start of the season to cover various outcomes. It appears to have been ignored.

You have been asking for days, and you were given an answer the last time! What do you not understand about the circumstances changing after discussions with the SFA, it’s not difficult to understand.

22 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The whole point of making an agreement before games were played was that clubs would not know what position they'd be in at the point the league needed to be called. The agreement was put in place specifically because everyone knew there would be a significant chance the season would be cut short for reasons outside the control of any club.

Of course VoL are throwing the toys out the pram because they could be adversely affected but if that agreement was made, then they're entirely justified in doing so. At last we can finally put this idea that the LL are any more about "sporting integrity" than the SPFL right into the bin.

Nobody can surpass the charlatans at the SPFL when it comes to lack of sporting integrity, and that goes for some of their clubs as well.

I see sporting integrity getting thrown out there again. Sporting integrity is a flag of convenience used by clubs wishing to push their own agenda. The LL board had agreed with the 50% threshold for PPG at the start of the season when they felt they had a fair chance of achieving that target and based on the assumption that if the league was declared null & void they could nominate a champion club. It became clear as recently as last week that the SFA would not permit this, leaving the league with only 2 options. PPG or Null and Void. As the later would mean 2 years without any play off it was felt by the board and the majority of clubs that the credibility of the pyramid was more important and opted for PPG. It’s worth pointing out only 3 clubs indicated their preference for null and void so the board is actually carrying out the wishes of its member clubs.

You have been asking for days, and you were given an answer the last time! What do you not understand about the circumstances changing after discussions with the SFA, it’s not difficult to understand.
Jeezo, aye I was given an answer, one that turned out to be inaccurate [emoji85]

The LL didn't reach the halfway point, therefore according to VoL it should have been null and void. What circumstances have changed to impact on this agreement, you seem to be in the know on this.

VoL are not happy and rightly so.

Just now, Burnieman said:

Jeezo, aye I was given an answer, one that turned out to be inaccurate emoji85.png

The LL didn't reach the halfway point, therefore according to VoL it should have been null and void. What circumstances have changed to impact on this agreement, you seem to be in the know on this.

I’m not “In the know” but you have missed the various pieces where it has been stated that the SFA informed the league last Tuesday that null and void would not be acceptable for the purposes of putting a champion club forward, and only PPG would allow them to take part in the playoffs. Robbie Horn mentioned on Friday among many others.

Changing the rules in extreme circumstances with the consent of the majority of clubs is entirely reasonable. Pushing for a null and void purely to reprieve your club from relegation for a second consecutive season is a bit pathetic.

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Jeezo, aye I was given an answer, one that turned out to be inaccurate emoji85.png

Here is the rule which counts -

E5 The Board shall have the power to temporarily suspend, amend or add to the rules as circumstances may dictate from time to time, as it deems appropriate in its reasonable discretion, to facilitate the smooth running of the competition, or in order to ensure the League is capable of meeting any commitments put upon it under the terms of any contracts or agreements with other bodies or sponsors.

Edit - I see Bonnyrigg have included this rule in their statement just issued.

Edited by Big Dougie

Changing the rules in extreme circumstances with the consent of the majority of clubs is entirely reasonable. Pushing for a null and void purely to reprieve your club from relegation for a second consecutive season is a bit pathetic.
Weren't these rules set at the start of the season supposed to cover these extreme circumstances?

I’m not “In the know” but you have missed the various pieces where it has been stated that the SFA informed the league last Tuesday that null and void would not be acceptable for the purposes of putting a champion club forward, and only PPG would allow them to take part in the playoffs. Robbie Horn mentioned on Friday among many others.
I've not missed anything

2 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Weren't these rules set at the start of the season supposed to cover these extreme circumstances?

This article will help clarify the situation, I suspect.

George Fraser reveals the crucial factors behind declaring Kelty champions (Daily Record)

Edited by Born To Run

4 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Im confused you were banging the drum for clubs to have a say on this matter and how the board shouldn’t be making this decision on they’re own. Only 3 clubs supported null and void vs 9 for PPG so the board are carrying out the wishes of a clear majority. You should be happy then.

Im confused you were banging the drum for clubs to have a say on this matter and how the board shouldn’t be making this decision on they’re own. Only 3 clubs supported null and void vs 9 for PPG so the board are carrying out the wishes of a clear majority. You should be happy then.
I'm confused why you're so keen not to fully involve clubs in the process and allow a vote.

3 minutes ago, Burnieman said:
6 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

I'm confused why you're so keen not to fully involve clubs in the process and allow a vote.

Maybe I’m a closet Kelty fan. 😂You should read the article above, clubs were consulted. It’s really interesting that Vale of Leithen benefitted from goal posts being moved mid season last season but are raging because it might go against them this season. You couldn’t  mark their necks with a blow torch. 

15 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I'm not in the know like you.

4 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Maybe I’m a closet Kelty fan. 😂You should read the article above, clubs were consulted. It’s really interesting that Vale of Leithen benefitted from goal posts being moved mid season last season but are raging because it might go against them this season. You couldn’t  mark their necks with a blow torch. 

4 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

You can’t use common sense with him Jerry. I posted the relevant rule and he has ignored that, he will not engage with anything that doesn’t suit his agenda.I suspect he is deliberately trolling, and is best ignored.

Edited by Big Dougie

9 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

It’s really interesting that Vale of Leithen benefitted from goal posts being moved mid season last season but are raging because it might go against them this season. You couldn’t  mark their necks with a blow torch. 

Yep, very clear in the rules that the LL has a maximum of 16 clubs. Except of course when the rules are changed to allow up to 18.

VoL staying up this season just delays the inevitable, if it went to 18 for next season then even less chance of avoiding relegation as two or more go down.

Edited by Ginaro