Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

15 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's what the LL pushed for last season. Also, with the EoSFL, WoSFL and SoSFL going null and void, it's very convenient for the LL to just call the season on PPG and expect Kelty to go into a play-off without relegating anyone.

It's only speculation but I have seen it said from the Catchup crew that if everyone at Tier 6 go N&V there would be no relegation. Which makes sense as it would force the EoS Premier to accept clubs while already being at 18.

But if the EoS declare go with PPG like the LL there might be relegation. It's a bit of an unknown. Although both the EoS and SoS should be deciding what they do in the next week or so, at which point it will be clearer.

4 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

It's what the LL pushed for last season. Also, with the EoSFL, WoSFL and SoSFL going null and void, it's very convenient for the LL to just call the season on PPG and expect Kelty to go into a play-off without relegating anyone.

The EoSFL and SoSFL haven’t declared anything as far as I am aware, unless you know something?

5 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

The EoSFL and SoSFL haven’t declared anything as far as I am aware, unless you know something?

I thought I'd read earlier that the EoSFL had agreed not to call unless they reached a certain number of games. Plus, some clubs at tier 6 have played ridiculously few games to call a league and clearly won't be finishing the season. But could be wrong. Of course, the LL could always just say there'll be promotion and no relegation.

My point is, there are obvious choices for the LL to make that make every club happy in a way that there just isn't for multi-league organisations like the SPFL. You hardly need a vote amongst clubs to ratify the bleeding obvious.

11 minutes ago, AlansHotBath said:

https://www.facebook.com/eaststirlingshirefc/posts/3783923001724995

Confirmation that the league is over and decided on PPG basis. Not really a surprise to anyone, we'll need to wait and see what happens with the promotion and relegation situations.

Update - Season confirmed as over.
Following discussions between the Scottish FA, Lowland League and its member clubs the decision has been taken to end the Scottish Lowland League season.
A majority of clubs voted yesterday to end the season using points per game from the matches played resulting in us finishing 5th.
For absolute clarity we voted for the proposal to finish the season this way for two reasons.
1. The financial cost to continue this season with no guarantees of finishing it would have hurt the club and our future as well as the timescale required to play it out was now impossible.
2. To give the lowland league the best opportunity to keep the SPFL play offs intact as its vital not to have a second season with no play offs.
Thank you.
We would like to thank everyone for the support we have received through this challenging season like no other.
The players who have trained every session in all weathers without any indoor changing facilities, played games in freezing and muddy conditions then have no changing or shower facilities. Thanks guys.
The coaches and back room who have tried to facilitate as much as normal and work through every Covid crazy circumstance thrown at them.
Shona our physio who has treated players on benches in fields, corridors and on freezing concrete floors around the country.
To the kitmen trying to get kit sorted and clean in short timescales, having to lay kit out in 3 locations at various social club rooms and outbuildings around the grounds.
To everyone who financially helped us survive the season through sponsorship, donations and fundraising, it without doubt has been the most challenging ever as without your help we may not have survived ❤️ thank you all.
That said the most challenging season may be yet to come as next season will be a massive challenge given the financial resource it’s taken to survive this and we should all be under no illusions just how hard it’s going to be. The club will need help.
We will be ready to go on day one but we will need everyone to support and help. Hopefully we will have supporters back for day one of the new season and over the next few weeks we will be looking at season tickets and sponsorship packages.
New season will start on 17th July for 2021/22
More info to follow now we have clarity about this season and we can plan for next.
Thanks everyone.

8 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

Good decision, now lets see Kelty win the playoff and get into the SPFL.

I can't see them beating the Highland League winners over 2 legs (I reckon it'll be Brora).

Furthermore, I reckon Brechin will come down.  They're north of the Tay river but I reckon they'll apply to the LL which would make it an 18 team league...

...That said the most challenging season may be yet to come as next season will be a massive challenge given the financial resource it’s taken to survive this and we should all be under no illusions just how hard it’s going to be. The club will need help...

Sounds like the Shire's sugar daddy might have lost interest. Will be interesting to see what the HL do given how few games have been played:

https://www.livescore.com/en/football/scotland/highland-league/

Guess it helps that Brora are top by goal difference. Fraserburgh getting a second place in an expanded HL on that basis would be difficult to justify though.

17 minutes ago, come on shire said:

I can't see them beating the Highland League winners over 2 legs (I reckon it'll be Brora).

Furthermore, I reckon Brechin will come down.  They're north of the Tay river but I reckon they'll apply to the LL which would make it an 18 team league...

As the rules are, they will drop into the HL and there is no ground to apply / appeal this. Their only hope would be if a league reconstruction would be pushed through like the one currently on the table which involves expansion of L2 to 16 teams.

13 minutes ago, come on shire said:

So few games have been played up here in the Highland League that it'd be ludicrous to declare now on PPG. Max any team has played is 3 games. Some haven't played a league fixture at all yet. 5 teams are unbeaten, so on the same PPG, although Brora would top the list on g.d.

And if the HFL were to restart to get a few more games in, that wouldn't be until 17th May.

Would appear the HL will be going down the PPG route also, not a massive fan of the decision due to the very low number of games played but understand to that to keep the SFA/SPFL happy the HL have to declare a champion based on final league standings as opposed to nominating a team due to the threat of them losing the play-off spot, which likely would have applied to the LL.

Having said that the 2 champions from the previous season are top again which I suppose would have made the decision slightly easier/fairer.

See it's been announded according to what's on fitbanorth:

https://www.fitbanorth.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8771

Brora Rangers - 2020/21 Champions

by Jimmy Shaker » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:11 pm

The Highland League have announced Brora Rangers have been declared the Champion Club for the 2020/21 season and will go forward to the playoffs.

On Pussbook the now.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

For those speculating on who voted against PPG. The reaction from those with Bonnyrigg ties since it became a known option would suggest they were against.

There was no vote. Clubs were told of the boards intentions and were encouraged to give feedback. 9 clubs supported the decision, 3 clubs preferred null and void and I can only assume 5 clubs didn't bother to respond. 

57 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

There will be no play off. This is a carve up engineered to admit Colts.

Pure coincidence there is a proposal coming to extend the leagues and admit Colts. !!!

This has been engineered by the leagues to give Brora and Kelty the shot at a play-off which they were denied last season. I doubt the same thing would have happened had other teams been at the top. I can't see how it would make any difference either way to the Colts debate, given that the LL and HL don't have a vote anyway.

Edited by craigkillie

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This has been engineered by the leagues to give Brora and Kelty the shot at a play-off which they were denied last season. I doubt the same thing would have happened had other teams been at the top. I can't see how it would make any difference either way to the Colts debate, given that the LL and HL don't have a vote anyway.

HL and LL Chairs both sat on working group on reconstruction with Colts.
SFA SPFL support Colts and will put forward proposal in coming weeks.

LL HL nominating Champions with SFA SPFL support means play off.
L2 clubs playing 2/3 games a week with part timers  will vote for reconstruction as don't want to face a fresh opponent in a play off 

Job done for the Old Firm 

I would prefer extended leagues but not with Colts but as always money talks.

Just now, Brazilianlex said:

HL and LL Chairs both sat on working group on reconstruction with Colts.
SFA SPFL support Colts and will put forward proposal in coming weeks.

LL HL nominating Champions with SFA SPFL support means play off.
L2 clubs playing 2/3 games a week with part timers  will vote for reconstruction as don't want to face a fresh opponent in a play off 

Job done for the Old Firm 

I would prefer extended leagues but not with Colts but as always money talks.

There are only four L2 clubs who realistically have any chance of going down, it seems like a lot of effort to go to to try to win 4 votes when you still need another 11 from the bottom two tiers after that.

There are people who were on that working group who have already basically come out as being agains the Colts, it's not a homogenous block, just as the SFA and SPFL are not. There will be some people in both organisations who back colts, but ultimately it will be a free vote amongst the SPFL clubs.