Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

41 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

What's the scenarios Jerry?

I don’t know the full details but one is to complete the remaining fixtures over a 10 week period, one involves a split with reduced fixtures and the 3rd is to get to the 50% of games played to call the season on ppg. The final one being nul n void. Throw into the mix the possibilities of extending the season and the fact teams not competing for the title could play on, even if the champion club is involved with the play offs. They have put a fair bit of effort into planning however it looks as though that may all be in vain if the SFA do as some are predicting and only allowing teams who test to resume.

4 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

I don’t know the full details but one is to complete the remaining fixtures over a 10 week period, one involves a split with reduced fixtures and the 3rd is to get to the 50% of games played to call the season on ppg. The final one being nul n void. Throw into the mix the possibilities of extending the season and the fact teams not competing for the title could play on, even if the champion club is involved with the play offs. They have put a fair bit of effort into planning however it looks as though that may all be in vain if the SFA do as some are predicting and only allowing teams who test to resume.

Assuming the SFA (gov) accept them, Antigen kits (aka lateral flow tests as proposed to be used by schools etc) are £7 each.  so for a playing squad incl backroom team of say 25, thats £200ish a week per team.  Not cheap, but not exactly club wrecking for teams that just got a nice grant.

Testing isn't the end of the world (as long as they dont wont those ruinously expensive PCR ones.)

just saying.......

1 hour ago, oldandround said:

Assuming the SFA (gov) accept them, Antigen kits (aka lateral flow tests as proposed to be used by schools etc) are £7 each.  so for a playing squad incl backroom team of say 25, thats £200ish a week per team.  Not cheap, but not exactly club wrecking for teams that just got a nice grant.

Testing isn't the end of the world (as long as they dont wont those ruinously expensive PCR ones.)

just saying.......

As far as I’m aware the testing would be PCR tests which depending on who you talk to would be in the region of £5k per week. 

35 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

Testing once a week would cost £2k per week based on 25 people being tested

Most squads have 25 players, your probably looking at a minimum of 32 to 33 players and staff for each club. Even at £2k a week that is likely to be beyond the majority of clubs in the LL.

Wouldnt have to be PCR.

PCR was the rule in august etc.  Since then technology has moved on. If the government is advocating lateral flow as good enough for flights and schools, there must be a case for the SFA to argue that its good enough for tier 5 football.  Has anyone even checked considering at the moment they dont require any testing at all.  If the SFA offer the lateral flow testing as a compromise, who knows.   they might go for it even as a trial for the rest of the economy.

I agree if its to be PCR, thats a non starter as far too expensive.

Edited by oldandround
typos

2 hours ago, oldandround said:

Wouldnt have to be PCR.

PCR was the rule in august etc.  Since then technology has moved on. If the government is advocating lateral flow as good enough for flights and schools, there must be a case for the SFA to argue that its good enough for tier 5 football.  Has anyone even checked considering at the moment they dont require any testing at all.  If the SFA offer the lateral flow testing as a compromise, who knows.   they might go for it even as a trial for the rest of the economy.

I agree if its to be PCR, thats a non starter as far too expensive.

It’s a good shout and hopefully an idea the clubs will try to push. I’m of the opinion this has little to do with testing and more to do with self preservation. Then again I do like wearing tin foil hats. 

20 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

In effect closing the door for a second successive season/protecting the bottom SPFL club. Hm!

22 minutes ago, Dev said:

In effect closing the door for a second successive season/protecting the bottom SPFL club. Hm!

That is my fear. I’m hoping I’m completely wrong though and we can file this alongside the Americans faking the  moon landings and the Beetles replacing Paul McCartney with a lookalike after his death.

League One and Two clubs are more likely to be tied into contracts that end after the scheduled SPFL Playoffs, so probably don't want to extend the season beyond that. Which is why they're pushing for a solution that allows for the season to be completed on schedule. Otherwise they're facing the same possibility of having to null and void the season.

A good 15-16 of them aren't going to have anything to do with being Club 42 this year. So that's not going to be a primary motivator for them.

The WOSL tweeted that they're hoping to have a scenario where everybody has played each other once and they've played at least 50% of their games. Theybhave scrapped the original fixture list to make this happen.

This would allow them to use PPG to determine places and crown a champon (who hopefully has a license) to get a crack at the LL.

My main question is, will we relegate VOL or expand to 18?

On 24/01/2021 at 09:51, Dev said:

The 20 league 1 and 2 Clubs are trying to persuade the SFA to restart mid feb and are prepared to test to do that. 
That’s hardly protecting themselves.

Having said that, the pre season agreement was 27 games. Anything less than that then it should just be the same as last season and scrap all play offs.

44 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

The 20 league 1 and 2 Clubs are trying to persuade the SFA to restart mid feb and are prepared to test to do that. 
That’s hardly protecting themselves.

Having said that, the pre season agreement was 27 games. Anything less than that then it should just be the same as last season and scrap all play offs.

Is it not? Considering the vast difference in what league 2 got in grants, and what the LL got, they probably know that LL couldn’t afford to test. 
Nothing surprises me anymore with the self preservation league.

Hopefully  the LL can get some sort of finish, and then win the playoffs too. (after the spfl clubs pay for testing)  Guessing a March restart, going until June if required ? Send kids back to school without testing, so let the game restart at the same time then. Have all leagues stated how they would finish the season yet ? 

17 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Hopefully  the LL can get some sort of finish, and then win the playoffs too. (after the spfl clubs pay for testing)  Guessing a March restart, going until June if required ? Send kids back to school without testing, so let the game restart at the same time then. Have all leagues stated how they would finish the season yet ? 

The spfl league 1 and 2 Clubs want to play their agreed 27 games but now down to SFA giving permission.

Playing less than 27 games will need agreement between the Clubs. It will be the same bun fight as last season with some wanting play offs, some not and some not wanting to play at all.

If it’s not a 27 game league as agreed then I can’t see how a league 2 play off will happen.

If as rumoured, the Highland League don’t want to restart then the play off is a mockery anyway.

Just now, Brazilianlex said:

If it’s not a 27 game league as agreed then I can’t see how a league 2 play off will happen.

If as rumoured, the Highland League don’t want to restart then the play off is a mockery anyway.

If League 2 declares a bottom club, whether that is over a 36-game, 27-game, 18-game or 5-game season, then that club should go to the play-offs. Those are the rules. Only the fact that it was literally impossible to play more matches stopped this happening last season.

If the Highland League don't want to restart but the Lowland League do, then the play-off is not a mockery at all. It simply means that the Lowland League champions would get straight into the final.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If League 2 declares a bottom club, whether that is over a 36-game, 27-game, 18-game or 5-game season, then that club should go to the play-offs. Those are the rules. Only the fact that it was literally impossible to play more matches stopped this happening last season.

If the Highland League don't want to restart but the Lowland League do, then the play-off is not a mockery at all. It simply means that the Lowland League champions would get straight into the final.

Not if there's a licensed SOSFL champion.