Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

9 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

2 weeks might well be possible if it’s the end of January, if it’s the end of March I’m not so sure. Your then gambling with players fitness and potentially exposing them to a higher risk of injury.

Absolutely and undoubtedly.

But, I'll say it again.  this is a special time and needs special thinking.  better to try and fail that not to bother at all.

Go for it, whenever we are allowed.  play 3 times a week.  use the squad.  Get a bunch of ammies in.  anything to complete the season and not just give in to (admittedly dreadful) circumstances.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Could always try and pivot to a single round robin? That would get to the 50% mark and not sure if anyone's played the same team twice yet.

From what I can see on wikipedia the only clubs to have played each other twice are Cumbernauld and Kelty. One of those results could be removed so that everyone is on 50%, and then you could even split the league and play another 7-8 games if there's enough time.

2 hours ago, MDM said:

Who'd be brave enough to tell Ando that the season can't be completed but Vale will have to go.....

image.png.a40242dd73dcde5976908c79b6e3b0dd.png

If the season is declared null and void, his club will be safe and his young side hanging on the balance of confidence can look forward to reliving their worst nightmares all over again next season. I wonder how many of his young players will have an appetite for that? But never having played the game, what do I know. 

55 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

If the season is declared null and void, his club will be safe and his young side hanging on the balance of confidence can look forward to reliving their worst nightmares all over again next season. I wonder how many of his young players will have an appetite for that? But never having played the game, what do I know. 

If you're a young player you'd want to play at the highest level possible surely?

Would it be the same players next season? Are contracts up?

They might be able to compete a bit more now the finances are not taken up by the floodlighting overheads criteria which despite help from other sources they done well to get up and running at such short notice?

On the other hand they could also forfeit their league position but being only a few points behind the Uni  why would they? 

And why should they even contemplate that given the difference in finance which was put in between the leagues?

Hopefully all leagues will be back up and running in a few weeks and it's not all null and void but looks like those with denunciations will just have to suck it up for another year ?

Red dots incoming 🙄

Having played Border amateur when I was young (15-16), playing for any of the EoS teams was a big deal. Whether it was VoL, Coldstream, or even Kelso/Eyemouth at the time. It didn’t matter where they were in the table, it was always the next step. Which is probably why Fairydean got such a hard time when they only had players from Edinburgh and the Lothians.

There will always have young local players willing to play and show their talents on a decent stage.

Hopefully Newky is right and now they have the floodlight situation under control, they can add a couple of more experienced heads to help these boys produce their best and make sure VoL can compete at a decent level (LL or EoS Prem) for years to come. They deserve it

On 09/01/2021 at 16:56, Ginaro said:

I can understand Dalbeattie and the SOS having concerns - as the rate in D&G is the the highest in Scotland at over 450. Though surely all D&G clubs should stop playing as well?

The D&G rate is now 283 so definitely going in the right direction. Only the usual suspects in the west above 300.

I did notice the SOS have said they won't restart until D&G is out of the current restrictions, which is fair enough. But for the rest of the Lowland area if the trend continues, by the end of the month most places will get to a similar rate that they've had a times during the season already. I think we began the season with half a dozen councils (mainly in the west) over 200 so we shouldn't need to get really low numbers to resume.

Tougher lockdown restrictions were introduced this week. There is little chance that the SFA will allow football to resume until the current restrictions are relaxed, and I doubt that will be at the 3 week review. Football's reputation with the Scottish Govt is already at a low ebb.

We've just had the SFA asking Championship clubs whether they want to stop or not.

On 12/01/2021 at 19:15, Ginaro said:

From what I can see on wikipedia the only clubs to have played each other twice are Cumbernauld and Kelty. One of those results could be removed so that everyone is on 50%, and then you could even split the league and play another 7-8 games if there's enough time.

My sentiments exactly!

With L1 and L2 hoping to resume early March, Lowland could do likewise and strongly consider only counting the results of playing each other once, and then split into a top 8, bottom 9 scenario which would provide the best opportunity of providing a champion to face Brora (or another) in HL/LL play off, and then on to a winner takes all against Brechin (or whomever happen to be Club 42 at the time).

1 hour ago, the tin man said:

Looking like l1 n 2 will test until the end of march can the lowland teams afford that. Only way a see them gettin back

Can League 1 and 2 teams? The variance in resources between the top of League 1 and the bottom of League 2 (even just the top and bottom of League 2 atm) is huge, as it is between the top and bottom of LL - is there funding for the clubs in the league who genuinely cannot afford to test their players every week? 

Can League 1 and 2 teams? The variance in resources between the top of League 1 and the bottom of League 2 (even just the top and bottom of League 2 atm) is huge, as it is between the top and bottom of LL - is there funding for the clubs in the league who genuinely cannot afford to test their players every week? 
The government funding will pay for it the championship got 500k wi no strings league 1 about 200k league 2 100k n lowland 33k

3 hours ago, the tin man said:

Looking like l1 n 2 will test until the end of march can the lowland teams afford that. Only way a see them gettin back

If the SPFL clubs try to stick to their original schedule. Then there's no way the Highland League will be able to get close to a finished season of any kind and will likely null & void.

That would give the LL any extra couple of weeks with no HL v. LL part of the SPFL Playoff. They then should be able to complete a season that crosses the 50% threshold to declare on PPG.

19 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If the SPFL clubs try to stick to their original schedule. Then there's no way the Highland League will be able to get close to a finished season of any kind and will likely null & void.

That would give the LL any extra couple of weeks with no HL v. LL part of the SPFL Playoff. They then should be able to complete a season that crosses the 50% threshold to declare on PPG.

Did the lowland league not already say that if they were unable to complete this season, then Kelty would be declared champions for the playoffs?

23 minutes ago, oldandround said:

Did the lowland league not already say that if they were unable to complete this season, then Kelty would be declared champions for the playoffs?

No. That cannot be determined until they know when they can restart. My understanding is they have 4 possible scenarios and will make a decision once they know when they can resume.