Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

I really don’t see why there are now calls to suspend playing. When the season started the majority of clubs in the league were based in tier 3 and 4 with a handful in 1-2.
The SFA / SG granted an exemption, that is still in place, so long as clubs followed all the guidance and rules. 
I have yet to see anyone produce real reasons that say the league should stop. Yes the virus is continuing to spread, but that will happen even if football is stopped. Have there been any transmissions in games or have clubs have high numbers of players testing positive? 
Has anyone or any of the clubs who want to stop actually provided any real reasons other than “they are concerned”. 
We are all concerned but surely in life we all take calculated risks every single day in life. 
If all clubs stick to the return the play protocol then where is the problem? 

The difference now is we are pretty much in full lockdown with tighter measures than level four. It’s similar to the original lockdown in March and football was stopped back then.

The case numbers are much worse than they were a few months ago and there is now a new strain running rampant. The situation in Dumfries and Galloway is pretty terrifying at the moment. The main hospital is nearly much full and things are only going to get worse over the next few weeks. Can totally understand teams down here wanting things stopped - a lot of South teams want things paused and it’s likely that will happen next week. 

Also worth noting no team is calling for the season to be abandoned, just paused and picking up where we left off when things have improved a bit. If Star were wanting the season abandoned right now I could fully understand the cynicism but they seem to be quite happy to carry on in a month or so.

I was someone who thought the government was too slow in lifting the restrictions in the summer but it’s clear things now are critical.Personally I feel all the leagues - from the Premiership down - should be halted for a few weeks as it makes no sense to tell folk to stay at home as much as possible yet you have hundreds, if not thousands, of folk mixing every Saturday.

There may be protocols in place but that’s irrelevant for me. Pubs and restaurants all have pretty strict protocol and they’re all shut. The running club I’m in has protocols and it’s been stopped, so I don’t see why football - especially at this level - is any different. Clubs in the top flight in England and Scotland have protocols and are still having outbreaks - although mine might have got on a bit better I’d they hadn’t been sitting too close on the bus and eating together!

The weather down here has made things irrelevant this weekend anyway!

Edited by Stu

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

The difference now is we are pretty much in full lockdown with tighter measures than level four. It’s similar to the original lockdown in March and football was stopped back then.

The case numbers are much worse than they were a few months ago and there is now a new strain running rampant. The situation in Dumfries and Galloway is pretty terrifying at the moment. The main hospital is nearly much full and things are only going to get worse over the next few weeks. Can totally understand teams down here wanting things stopped - a lot of South teams want things paused and it’s likely that will happen next week. 

Also worth noting no team is calling for the season to be abandoned, just paused and picking up where we left off when things have improved a bit. If Star were wanting the season abandoned right now I could fully understand the cynicism but they seem to be quite happy to carry on in a month or so.

I was someone who thought the government was too slow in lifting the restrictions in the summer but it’s clear things now are critical.Personally I feel all the leagues - from the Premiership down - should be halted for a few weeks as it makes no sense to tell folk to stay at home as much as possible yet you have hundreds, if not thousands, of folk mixing every Saturday.

There may be protocols in place but that’s irrelevant for me. Pubs and restaurants all have pretty strict protocol and they’re all shut. The running club I’m in has protocols and it’s been stopped, so I don’t see why football - especially at this level - is any different. Clubs in the top flight in England and Scotland have protocols and are still having outbreaks - although mine might have got on a bit better I’d they hadn’t been sitting too close on the bus and eating together!

The weather down here has made things irrelevant this weekend anyway!

Yes I fully understand the point you are making. But what happens if there is a break for 3-4 weeks and things haven’t changed that much and tier 4 is still in place, then when does it start up? 
I fear if the leagues stop now they won’t start again until after the summer. 
I remember back to when football was first stopped and there was a worry about the impact that was having in player mental and physical health, that would still be a concern. 

7 minutes ago, It's Me said:

I remember back to when football was first stopped and there was a worry about the impact that was having in player mental and physical health, that would still be a concern. 

It's not just about football players mental health though,every other sport is suffering badminton/tennis/golf clubs etc have all been closed, the whole of the UK is suffering from the pandemic.

There are pros and cons which need looked into,as someone said its playing into the SPFL hands should the league be stopped but a few weeks grace wouldn't go amiss either especially wi the current climate where theres not many games beating the weather at the minute anyways. 

It's quite concerning that only the SPL are the only league doing the mandatory testing as well. 

8 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

It's not just about football players mental health though,every other sport is suffering badminton/tennis/golf clubs etc have all been closed, the whole of the UK is suffering from the pandemic.

There are pros and cons which need looked into,as someone said its playing into the SPFL hands should the league be stopped but a few weeks grace wouldn't go amiss either especially wi the current climate where theres not many games beating the weather at the minute anyways. 

It's quite concerning that only the SPL are the only league doing the mandatory testing as well. 

Yes I do understand that. But if it all gets closed now and not mush has changed in four weeks then how can it restart. 
I think the best thing to do is keep playing in the safe environment until the SG / SFA say otherwise. 
As you rightly said other sports are suffering so by closing it down will add another x thousand of people to that list. 
The west was in tier 4 for several weeks and just got on with it. 
No one has provided any stats or evidence that transmissions are taking place at club training or during a match so why stop it? 

27 minutes ago, It's Me said:

Yes I do understand that. But if it all gets closed now and not mush has changed in four weeks then how can it restart. 
I think the best thing to do is keep playing in the safe environment until the SG / SFA say otherwise. 
As you rightly said other sports are suffering so by closing it down will add another x thousand of people to that list. 
The west was in tier 4 for several weeks and just got on with it. 
No one has provided any stats or evidence that transmissions are taking place at club training or during a match so why stop it? 

A safe environment would be to have crowds in to be able to watch?

As the old saying goes football without fans is nothing. If it was as safe as you're saying then let the fans in. 

Its shite not being able to get to a game on a Saturday. 

Glasgow has pretty much been in the highest tiers since the pandemic started, with only a very short period where pubs and restaurants were allowed to operate. In that time we have consistently seen the highest number of daily positive tests, highest number of hospital admissions and highest death rate. In all of that time the authorities have been satisfied to let football continue. Does anyone really think if there was a chance football was contributing to the spread of the virus they wouldn't have shut it down before now?

The problem here is the lack of trust. In football we tend to take the view that anyone in authority is incompetent and we could do  better.

The policy of the SG and their advisors has been to protect the NHS and ensure they do not become overwhelmed. I have no reason to believe they are suddenly going to move away from this stance. I understand the fear, but this isn't new for those of us who have been in the highest risk area for the last 10 months. We've been living with those exact same fears since March last year.

1 hour ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Glasgow has pretty much been in the highest tiers since the pandemic started, with only a very short period where pubs and restaurants were allowed to operate. In that time we have consistently seen the highest number of daily positive tests, highest number of hospital admissions and highest death rate. In all of that time the authorities have been satisfied to let football continue. Does anyone really think if there was a chance football was contributing to the spread of the virus they wouldn't have shut it down before now?

The problem here is the lack of trust. In football we tend to take the view that anyone in authority is incompetent and we could do  better.

The policy of the SG and their advisors has been to protect the NHS and ensure they do not become overwhelmed. I have no reason to believe they are suddenly going to move away from this stance. I understand the fear, but this isn't new for those of us who have been in the highest risk area for the last 10 months. We've been living with those exact same fears since March last year.

Really surprised by yer lack of respect for Dalbeattie Star F C on here Jerry.

Why are they not allowed to show their concerns, have you suddenly became the Billy big baws of the LL ?

Every club should be allowed an opinion ?

Edited by newcastle broon

1 hour ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Tbh mate, I think it’s very naive to think that football is not contributing to spreading the virus!!  The problem is we don’t know if it is or isn’t.! Until we are completely sure that it isn’t, then it should be stopped.  I love the football and I’m lost without it on a Saturday and during the week, and I really do want it to continue, but I feel it’s too risky at this point and I didn’t think it should of restarted when it did!!  

from a selfish point of view I’m happy it’s on and I’m still taking part in football even though I know it’s not helping get rid of this coronavirus. That’s the problem and I’m part of the problem, so are a lot of other coaches, players etc who will know that by turning up in large groups, having contact with each other potentially spreading a virus that they don’t know they have, isn’t helping the pandemic but will continue to do so as it’s allowed!! 

it’s the kids I feel sorry for, they can’t play football, they are the future of the game, some of the boys will have missed out on there first year at 7s , 11s , last season before they go to adult football, yet this level is allowed to play. Madness! 
 If by stopping football at our level for a few months meant the kids got back playing sooner I’m all up for that. If by stopping for a few months helped get rid of this fucking virus quicker I’m all up for that too. 
 Just my opinion, doesn’t make it right or wrong, we’re never going to all agree on everything. 
 Stay safe

9 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Really surprised by yer lack of respect for Dalbeattie Star F C on here Jerry considering they are one of the clubs who got you where you are today. 

Why are they not allowed to show their concerns, have you suddenly became the Billy big baws of the LL ?

Every club should be allowed an opinion ?

I'm not against Dalbeattie having their say. But when they try to control the narrative before we get the chance to hear from the other 16 clubs. That's when I have an issue. What Dalbeattie have done is mounted a campaign to get the game stopped because they are now starting to see the worst effects of this horrible virus. No such thoughts or concerns were voiced when it looked like they were going to be allowed fans in before Christmas, no such concerns were voiced when they made their 10 hour round trip to Huntly in the Scottish Cup. 

I know you Welfare boys and Dalbeattie were founding members,  not sure what thats got to do with this  but as you should know by now History is Overrated. 

5 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

I know you Welfare boys and Dalbeattie were founding members,  not sure what thats got to do with this  but as you should know by now History is Overrated. 

I have since edited I just knew youd come back wi that one :lol:

You have came over as Billy Big Baws here though. 

Is it because you are represented by the chairman of the LL by any chance? 

2 minutes ago, fowler23 said:

Tbh mate, I think it’s very naive to think that football is not contributing to spreading the virus!!  The problem is we don’t know if it is or isn’t.! Until we are completely sure that it isn’t, then it should be stopped.  I love the football and I’m lost without it on a Saturday and during the week, and I really do want it to continue, but I feel it’s too risky at this point and I didn’t think it should of restarted when it did!!  

from a selfish point of view I’m happy it’s on and I’m still taking part in football even though I know it’s not helping get rid of this coronavirus. That’s the problem and I’m part of the problem, so are a lot of other coaches, players etc who will know that by turning up in large groups, having contact with each other potentially spreading a virus that they don’t know they have, isn’t helping the pandemic but will continue to do so as it’s allowed!! 

it’s the kids I feel sorry for, they can’t play football, they are the future of the game, some of the boys will have missed out on there first year at 7s , 11s , last season before they go to adult football, yet this level is allowed to play. Madness! 
 If by stopping football at our level for a few months meant the kids got back playing sooner I’m all up for that. If by stopping for a few months helped get rid of this fucking virus quicker I’m all up for that too. 
 Just my opinion, doesn’t make it right or wrong, we’re never going to all agree on everything. 
 Stay safe

This the problem we are never getting rid of COVID 19. At some point, when the virus is not as prevalent we are going to need to learn to live with it. Shutting everything down because it might be an issue is a really dangerous path in my view. Where do you stop with that? Shut the supermarkets? Stop people leaving their homes for any reason? If there is data to support shutting down football then fine I agree. But if not....

2 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

I have since edited I just knew youd come back wi that one :lol:

You have came over as Billy Big Baws here though. 

Is it because you are represented by the chairman of the LL by any chance? 

The Billy big baws tag is rich coming from someone who supports a team who tried to get the rules they wrote rewritten to avoid relegation. I want football to continue and I feel very strongly about that. I'm sorry if that makes me a Billy big baws. On the subject of  the LL board. Dont Dalbeattie Star have a representative on that board? Perhaps that's why they feel empowered to preach to the rest of us. As you say coming across as Billy big baws.

1 minute ago, Jerry Macguire said:

The Billy big baws tag is rich coming from someone who supports a team who tried to get the rules they wrote rewritten to avoid relegation. I want football to continue and I feel very strongly about that. I'm sorry if that makes me a Billy big baws. On the subject of  the LL board. Dont Dalbeattie Star have a representative on that board? Perhaps that's why they feel empowered to preach to the rest of us. As you say coming across as Billy big baws.

Aye bring a totally irrelevant subject up,the above tweet from LTL basically sums it up. BSC heavily involved in that tweet for sure.Changed days indeed Jerry eh :lol:

30 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Good to see George Fraser of the LL standing up to the usual agressive posting style antics of a certain high profile poster on here:

Worth expanding and checking out what happened with the exchange from there.

Last nights tweet went down well I see. :whistle :lol:

20210109_140335.jpg