Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

4 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

I saw the Dalbeattie managers rant on social media and thought it was sheer hypocrisy. Clubs in the LL have been consulted with and given options to withdraw without punishment. In each and every occasion, league, Scottish Cup (except Gretna), South Challenge. Clubs have rejected that option. Now that everyone has received a chunk of money from the Government and the league have removed the option to withdraw, so relegation is a real possibility, certain teams aren't happy. Perhaps if clubs actually grew a pair and made decisions when they had the chance, like some of the WoS clubs did before the season started. Instead they want someone else to make the decision for them. I suppose its easier to blame the sfa though.

Or perhaps a more virulent strain taking hold, increasing case numbers and moving back into lockdown where you can't leave your house for good reason, with the situation being described as "Worse than March/April" has something to do with it?

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

Or perhaps a more virulent strain taking hold, increasing case numbers and moving back into lockdown where you can't leave your house for good reason, with the situation being described as "Worse than March/April" has something to do with it?

Possibly but you'll need to excuse my scepticism.

10 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

I saw the Dalbeattie managers rant on social media and thought it was sheer hypocrisy...

Totally predictable who is going to sound off about this. All you need to do is look at the league table and see who looks like a dead cert to be relegated.

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

Totally predictable who is going to sound off about this. All you need to do is look at the league table and see who looks like a dead cert to be relegated.

Who is being childish now?  seriously, step away from the keyboard and stop making a fool of yourself.

37 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

The point is the situation has taken a turn for the worst the last few weeks.

I get it. I really do and to be honest with you my views are probably formed out of self interest. I’ve been stuck at home since the middle of March and the only thing preserving my sanity is watching the live streaming of LL games. Take that away and insanity will surely follow.

Dalbeattie wanting the league to be suspended.

CLUB STATEMENT

We took the difficult decision to cancel training last night (Wednesday). Given the announcement made by the Scottish Government on Monday we felt uncomfortable asking our players and staff to travel to Dalbeattie from around Dumfries and Galloway and also from Ayrshire, Lanarkshire and Carlisle.

Despite the fact that we have followed all protocols and hopefully have been providing a COVID safe space, the rising number of cases in Dumfries and Galloway means we are very concerned that bringing players and staff to Dalbeattie for training is an unnecessary risk to our local community at this difficult time for everyone.

We are classed as elite professional players but no provision is available for covid testing at our level, we do however query the professional status as we are a part time club and all players have other careers out with football.

We as a club have today written to the Scottish Lowland Football League requesting that consideration be given to suspend the league till this terrible disease is under control again.

Whilst we fully appreciate that we’re all in football for the love of the game we believe it’s a distant second right now to the safety of everyone in Dumfries and Galloway and beyond and therefore we hope you’ll understand our thoughts and concerns at this moment in time as we look to protect each and every individual.

Like all clubs in the league we would love to be able to be able to complete this season in a timely manner but the safety of our committee, management team, players and of course the people of our local community is of more concern than football at this present time.

Hopefully we will get back to normal in the near future and be able to welcome everyone back to Islecroft in a safe environment.

6 hours ago, Burnieman said:

The point is the situation has taken a turn for the worst the last few weeks.

Do you not think that Government, who have been pretty strict with rules so far, would allow this to continue if they had any doubts whatsoever?

Do you honestly think Dalbeattie Star's position in the league has anything to do with the statement they issued? If yes then you obviously do not know any of the people involved in the club and you should not judge others by your very low standards. In case you haven't noticed covid numbers are rising at a frightening rate and checking peoples temperature as they enter a football stadium is not going to stop it. Look at the alarming covid numbers in the EPL with all the precautions they are taking, to see what a precarious position we are all in. We all love our football but to continue playing at this level under the present circumstances is nothing short of madness. All they are saying is pause the league for the time being and carry on the season when it is safe to do so.  

7 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Possibly but you'll need to excuse my scepticism.

I'm afraid I don't excuse your scepticism, given the facts on the ground. Have you seen the case rate in D&G? Around Gretna and Stranraer it's off the scale - about 2% of the entire population of those town have tested positive in the past week. That's literally 10 times the rate when we all thought Lanarkshire was manky. And there will likely be many others who are asymptomatic or who haven't been tested yet.

Are you saying that the only clubs entitled to voice an opinion on this are those at the top?

They have only asked for a suspension, not for the league to be cancelled. And as for them not having pulled out before... you're talking about a time when there were very few cases in D&G. They'd have had to be clairvoyant to see this coming.

55 minutes ago, The Informer said:

Do you not think that Government, who have been pretty strict with rules so far, would allow this to continue if they had any doubts whatsoever?

I think the government confused professional with elite, and really don't have the time or staff to draft legislation on the minutiae of every possible activity folk get up to. They've got much bigger fish to fry than this - schools, universities, construction sites, manufacturing, tourism, the NHS and Brexit are probably more distracting than non-league football.

Just because something isn't illegal, doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do. We shouldn't need the government to outlaw things before making the right decisions.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

If this is refused and safety is the concern then I'm sure they'll forfeit all games 3-0.

The rules are fairly clear - B16 "All Clubs will agree to fulfil the fixtures cast by the League" and B17 "Each Club will be liable for a fine* and/or expulsion from the competition in the event of their not fulfilling the obligations imposed on them by their acceptance of membership." *max £500 paid within 14 days

They should just tell CSS not to bother travelling down for the match. Shouldn't be a problem paying the fine given the recent money they received.

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I think the government confused professional with elite, and really don't have the time or staff to draft legislation on the minutiae of every possible activity folk get up to. They've got much bigger fish to fry than this - schools, universities, construction sites, manufacturing, tourism, the NHS and Brexit are probably more distracting than non-league football.

Just because something isn't illegal, doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do. We shouldn't need the government to outlaw things before making the right decisions.

It’s not just non league football though is it? So I don’t buy your argument that the government just don’t care or don’t have the time to look at it. I would imagine that there is a fair bit of dialogue between the government and the SFA over this.

5 minutes ago, The Informer said:

It’s not just non league football though is it? So I don’t buy your argument that the government just don’t care or don’t have the time to look at it. I would imagine that there is a fair bit of dialogue between the government and the SFA over this.

Whoever's on the SG side of that Zoom call probably thinks that Junior means youth, like most folk. And I doubt that the dialogue is more frequent than monthly. 

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Whoever's on the SG side of that Zoom call probably thinks that Junior means youth, like most folk. And I doubt that the dialogue is more frequent than monthly. 

A lot of assumptions there, however,  happy to agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, The Informer said:

I'm not convinced they care beyond what the SFA is feeding them.

7 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

I get it. I really do and to be honest with you my views are probably formed out of self interest. I’ve been stuck at home since the middle of March and the only thing preserving my sanity is watching the live streaming of LL games. Take that away and insanity will surely follow.

It's tough for everyone, it's tough for those who are reluctant to be on the pitch or helping off it.  It's tough for players and coaches having to self-isolate for 10 days and losing wages. A pause for a few weeks to help "flatten the curve" and get things under some control again would be a responsible move.

17 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

It's tough for everyone, it's tough for those who are reluctant to be on the pitch or helping off it.  It's tough for players and coaches having to self-isolate for 10 days and losing wages. A pause for a few weeks to help "flatten the curve" and get things under some control again would be a responsible move.

There is no proof a 3 week pause would flatten a curve and as far as football at this level is concerned I’m not sure there is a curve to flatten. However if there is data to support it then great I’m convinced. 

From the health care professionals I have spoken to the biggest single risk for the spread of the virus at the moment is supermarkets. I think the reason SG and their advisers aren’t paying any attention to the game at this level is simply down to what they have assessed the risk levels to be.

I agree it’s tough for those who don’t wish to play but why should we only be focusing on them? What about the players who do want to play?

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I'm afraid I don't excuse your scepticism, given the facts on the ground. Have you seen the case rate in D&G? Around Gretna and Stranraer it's off the scale - about 2% of the entire population of those town have tested positive in the past week. That's literally 10 times the rate when we all thought Lanarkshire was manky. And there will likely be many others who are asymptomatic or who haven't been tested yet.

Are you saying that the only clubs entitled to voice an opinion on this are those at the top?

They have only asked for a suspension, not for the league to be cancelled. And as for them not having pulled out before... you're talking about a time when there were very few cases in D&G. They'd have had to be clairvoyant to see this coming.

I don’t think I am. In fact I have no idea how you got there. 

They’re are 17 teams in the Lowland League. We’ve heard from 1 and all of a sudden everyone wants football stopped. Perhaps we should consider what everyone wants before making a decision.

I’m pretty sure all the epidemiologists posting on this subject will be able to explain why me and everyone else who wants the game to continue are wrong.