Lowland League 2020/21 General Chat

FairWeatherFan

The SPFL lower leagues have come out with their fixture lists for the season. The final round of fixtures for League Two is on the 1st May. Which is likely to make the final round of fixtures for the Lowland League the 17th of April going by how the SPFL Play-off has typically gone.

With SPFL fixtures out, is it just the Scottish Cup format issues delaying a Lowland League announcement?

I would scrap all cups this season,if the league runs from October to April then there isn’t much room for cup competitions,players at our level have jobs aswell and may not be available for every midweek fixtures there is going to be

38 minutes ago, boness4ever said:

I would scrap all cups this season,if the league runs from October to April then there isn’t much room for cup competitions,players at our level have jobs aswell and may not be available for every midweek fixtures there is going to be

I agree.  No room for cups this year.  Players will be hard-pressed at our level as it is.

36 minutes ago, boness4ever said:

I would probably agree - while it's unfortunate they'll also have to factor in cancellations from weather, as usual, and in all likelihood, games being postponed when players end up having to self-isolate. (My main prediction for this season is that someone is going to say a player potentially has COVID so they can have a game put back a few weeks to help with injury issues).

Any word yet on the format of the shortened season? I'd imagine everyone plays everyone once, then a 8-9 split for the final run of games 

43 minutes ago, boness4ever said:

For the Lowland League there's really only 3 cups to worry about in the main. Scottish Cup, League Cup and South Challenge Cup.

I doubt clubs would turn down the opportunity to play in the Scottish due to the prize money.

The League Cup is an end of season tournament. The numbers actually work well this year. The Lowland League champion can be excluded and allow the other 16 to extend the season into May. So I imagine that would get played.

So its really just the SCC that becomes an issue that needs to be decided upon, due to the scale that it now operates at with 144 teams in it.

10 minutes ago, boness4ever said:

If only 10 non league teams are allowed to participate in the Scottish cup then it’s unfair on the rest,if all eligible teams can’t take part then cancel for the season,it’s not due to start until dec26 at the earliest

I doubt those clubs will see it that way. Especially if they aren't considered a title contender if the league they are in. Win just one game and they'd make more money than if they hadn't been selected.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I doubt those clubs will see it that way. Especially if they aren't considered a title contender if the league they are in. Win just one game and they'd make more money than if they hadn't been selected.

Fair point

8 hours ago, boness4ever said:

It seems likely that there will be no Christmas and new year break this year(I could be wrong),so how about having local derbies,or as local as you can get on Dec 26 & Jan 2,Shire v Bo’ness and vice versa

Absolutely! I like the way the rugby do it, with the Edinburgh v Glasgow double header over the holiday period. Got to market football the best way we can. Hopefully we're allowed crowds by then. 

9 minutes ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

Absolutely! I like the way the rugby do it, with the Edinburgh v Glasgow double header over the holiday period. Got to market football the best way we can. Hopefully we're allowed crowds by then. 

It happens in the national league in England every season,then again the LL has 17 teams,would be unfair if 1club missed out on a decent crowd  

Edited by boness4ever

5 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Neil Doncaster seems to have stated  the Tunnocks Challenge cup will be going ahead but without the non Scottish teams, wonder if the Highland/Lowland teams will be binned as well to streamline the competition even more.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Kelty & Brora invites leaving the Colts out for the year since there's no reserve league. Keeps the number at 32 with no random byes.

Or they could leave out the Colts and non-league sides. Give the 2019-20 finalists the byes for the first round. Then on that first round weekend have the 2019-20 Final on the Sunday.

I see the latest from the SFA gives "indicative dates" of 24/8 for contact training, 11/9 for local friendlies and 1/10 for competitive games. .....all subject to blah, blah etc..

Potentially could be seeing a friendly in just over 5 weeks. Whether that is as a fan in the ground or standing on a cherry picker outside the ground will depend on the authorities.

On 06/08/2020 at 22:03, gogsy said:

Only query I have on that is it states Grass Roots football, usually that covers the areas of the game covered by the non Professional Game board. Lowland league stuff is usually dealt with by the Professional Game Board:unsure2:

From what I’m being told those dates tie in with the information being given to LL clubs Gogsy.