Refereeing this season

Is it going to be more baffling than ever or are they actually just going to apply the rules equally and fairly in every game?

Just asking because of this strange quote from the BBC gossip page.

Referee Kevin Clancy says he and other officials are well aware what is at stake this season, as Celtic attempt to secure a record 10 titles in a row (The Herald).

What exactly does that mean?

When folk ask why referees don't do more interviews or explain their decisions more after matches, you can point them directly to threads like this. Any time they do anything in the media every little innocent comment is dissected exactly like this.

Is it going to be more baffling than ever or are they actually just going to apply the rules equally and fairly in every game? Just asking because of this strange quote from the BBC gossip page.

Referee Kevin Clancy says he and other officials are well aware what is at stake this season, as Celtic attempt to secure a record 10 titles in a row (The Herald).  

Andrew Dallas has a new quota of penalties to award to Rangers.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Is it going to be more baffling than ever or are they actually just going to apply the rules equally and fairly in every game?

Just asking because of this strange quote from the BBC gossip page.

I think they're jostling for access to the after dinner speaking circuit, to see who gets the Masons, the OO and the Knights of St. Columba. 

When folk ask why referees don't do more interviews or explain their decisions more after matches, you can point them directly to threads like this. Any time they do anything in the media every little innocent comment is dissected exactly like this.
Agree 100%. Surely, the most obvious interpretation of his quote is that the referees will be acutely aware that every decision they make this season for or against either half of the Old Firm, will come under intense scrutiny. If a refereeing error ultimately results in or prevents 10 in a row then that referee will be hounded forevermore.

3 minutes ago, mike rankine said:
1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Agree 100%. Surely, the most obvious interpretation of his quote is that the referees will be acutely aware that every decision they make this season for or against either half of the Old Firm, will come under intense scrutiny. If a refereeing error ultimately results in or prevents 10 in a row then that referee will be hounded forevermore.

So they can referee Ross County v St. Mirren blindfolded because they "don't matter"?

I suppose it's just an amplified version of what already happens.

He said: “I can absolutely guarantee you that the referees officiating in the Scottish Premiership know exactly what is at stake this season.

“We are under no illusion that every decision probably almost in every game is going to be scrutinised to a level that even the media probably haven’t seen for a long, long period of time.

“If you want to take anything away from this, it is that the guys have been training hard, the guys are ready for the season that is about to start.

“We really do know what is at stake for the whole of the division.”

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Obviously it's pretty innocuous.

But why not just say 'we're always under intense scrutiny, and it matters just as much every season'.

Saying that, this is a total non-story and red-top stuff from whatever paper published it.

and thats basically what I thought but when they give those papers you speak of lines like that it gives them the opportunity to make a mountain out of a molehill for some clickbait. 

Better off just not giving the interviews. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

and thats basically what I thought but when they give those papers you speak of lines like that it gives them the opportunity to make a mountain out of a molehill for some clickbait. 

Better off just not giving the interviews. 

I agree tbh.

For all we know the question could have been about behind closed doors games and the fact every game will be streamed live. His quotes reference 'every decision in every game' which even suggest that.

Just giving some cheap hack an opportunity to twist it.

We are going to see some truly excellent conspiracy theories during the season which will be fun the outsiders.

You'd almost feel sorry for the refs if they weren't so useless. N.B. I do believe that they are rubbish rather than cheats. That's not to say that I won't be calling Bobby Madden a masonic b*****d on Saturday. 😁

Edit: And Celtic get (King) Billy Collum for their game. 😉

Clancy gets the Dunde utd v St. Johnstone game so no-one will care if he makes an honest mistake. 

Edited by Suspect Device

Basically, to me, it sounds very bad for referees who have to officiate one of the sisters any time after the other has played.

Dodgy goal/red card/penalty etc. that alters the game in favour (naturally not going to go against) of one in the first game means you have to be equally "favourable" in the following one because "10 in a row"? 

I'm pretty sure there would NEVER be such a statement, however innocuously meant, in any other league in the world. Proof (t'wer needed) the SPFL and officials "dance to the tune" of the bigots!

Personally I think Rangers and Celtic will get less decisions playing in empty stadiums.

I'm not into the whole conspiracy thing but I do think big crowds do influence referees, they would have to be robots to not be influenced.

Having said that I don't expect guys that are an absolute embarrassment to the Scottish game, say, Andrew Dallas, to have got any better over the last few months.