Your Country Needs You.

ZingaliMan

7 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Been hanging off in the hope of getting a late booking to go abroad in September, but swaying more towards booking a pet friendly cottage at home instead, and the Neuk is where I'm thinking.

Spent years delivering around the area, starting around Burntisland and all the way up through the likes of Elie, Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail up to St Andrews and Leuchars. A cracking drive and all great wee places to visit. Never holidayed there though (bar a couple of nights camping at St Monans).

My main quandary though is where best to book as a base? I like the idea of the relative tranquility of somewhere like Crail for a complete break and peace and quiet,  but on the other hand, maybe St Andrews or something might be better for more choice of pubs and eateries at night.

Any thoughts as a veteran of the area?

I’m in Anstruther, busy this afternoon but hopefully it’ll be a bit quieter on Monday when there’s not as much weekend traffic 

It’s only a short run to St Andrews, I’m happy to nip in for a day but I’m also happy to get out of there. Too busy at times 

Anstruther has everything from “that chippy” to a Michelin star restaurant. It’s the biggest of the towns/villages between Crail and St Monans. They all have nice walks about town and wee cafes to sit at and watch the world go by. St Monans no longer has a pub.                                                        View from my holiday let.

155E121A-7D51-48AA-AC88-8212D53715B8.thumb.jpeg.16f245e476b8c4d1bae79ee1eaf0f78e.jpeg

On 14/07/2021 at 22:05, trainspotter said:

This may have to be added to the list of places to visit in the near future. I have ordered a few cases from Five Kingdoms over the last year and Captain Morrison and Renton are very, very drinkable.

Renton is currently on tap without about 7 or 8 others - most from Five Kingdoms but a few guests from other Ayrshire/south-west breweries.

Didn't stop a fair few clowns ordering a pint of Coors instead though.

On 15/07/2021 at 20:31, Stu said:

Never been but food at The Steam Packet always looks good on their Facebook. Will still need to go some to beat The Crown in Portpatrick though.

I had their paella - saffron rice with peas, chicken, chorizo, mussels, squid, salmon, langoustines and a 'tuile' made from a deep-fried smoked fish tail. 

I'm now in Kirkcudbright for a few days. Thinking of hiking up the river to Castle Douglas and the Sulwath Brewery taproom tomorrow; then the Rockcliffe/Sandhills coast on Friday before heading up the road. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Renton is currently on tap without about 7 or 8 others - most from Five Kingdoms but a few guests from other Ayrshire/south-west breweries.

Didn't stop a fair few clowns ordering a pint of Coors instead though.

I had their paella - saffron rice with peas, chicken, chorizo, mussels, squid, salmon, langoustines and a 'tuile' made from a deep-fried smoked fish tail. 

I'm now in Kirkcudbright for a few days. Thinking of hiking up the river to Castle Douglas and the Sulwath Brewery taproom tomorrow; then the Rockcliffe/Sandhills coast on Friday before heading up the road. 

Food at The Selkirk in Kirkcudbright is excellent. The Belfry is good for a big fry-up.

Street Lights in CD is good for lunch (and cake). If you’re on the coast then can’t go wrong with fish and chips in one of the Kippford pubs.

15 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m off for a week in August and looking at places to go. The prices are absolutely mental. 

I was looking at lodges the other week. Not executive or any top resort and I was the same, just laughed at the prices. Pricing themselves out of business. 

On 22/07/2021 at 15:12, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m off for a week in August and looking at places to go. The prices are absolutely mental. 

If you're prepared to slum it in a tent (weather is not looking hopeful anytime soon) then there are still reasonable places in addition to just wild-camping. 

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

If you're prepared to slum it in a tent (weather is not looking hopeful anytime soon) then there are still reasonable places in addition to just wild-camping. 

Not a big camping fan really. Don’t mind one night but wouldn’t do it for any longer.

On 22/07/2021 at 15:12, Honest_Man#1 said:

They've been mental in July and August for the last few years, not just covid "staycations". The North 500 has been more successful than the Highlands have the capacity to deliver.

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Not a big camping fan really. Don’t mind one night but wouldn’t do it for any longer.

If you've got a car then Barholm Accomodation in Creetown might be a decent base. It's a quiet and clean version of a hostel with mostly private and en-suite rooms (the few dorms not currently being used) and is reliably cheap, about £30 or less per night.

Creetown is next to the main road and ideally placed for travelling around the Galloway coast either west or east, but as there's not much in the village itself (October last year) a car would be useful to have more options in the evening. The Galloway Smokehouse is in literally the next village along though. 

I stayed at Neptune's Rest guesthouse in Stranraer of all places and it was both very good and reasonably priced as well. The town is an easy base for the Rhinns of Galloway area and, err, Agnew Park's actually pretty nice as well.

Here ends the sum total of worthwhile things in Stranraer. 

Our country needs us... me and Mrs Mantis are off to jolly Banff Friday to Monday. Obviously try and get some dawn/sunset snaps of the Bow Fiddle and a few hours at Trump Troup Heid. Maybe revisit Pennan and all that, and of course get a couple of hours off the leash and watch Vale v Brechin.

Was meant to be going up north next week and taking in a few munros, but the prices for accommodation are ridiculous.  Half tempted to sack it off and head down home to the Costa Del Solway. 

Southwest Scotland >>>>> Highlands 

On 03/08/2021 at 22:55, MONKMAN said:

Was meant to be going up north next week and taking in a few munros, but the prices for accommodation are ridiculous.  Half tempted to sack it off and head down home to the Costa Del Solway. 

Southwest Scotland >>>>> Highlands 

Was going to suggest hiring a campervan but they've doubled in price too and everyone will hate you. Think you've the right idea, some stunning walks down there without the hordes.

https://www.camptoo.co.uk/supply/Glasgow--Scotland--United-Kingdom?date_start=20%2F08%2F2021&date_end=23%2F08%2F2021

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Was going to suggest hiring a campervan but they've doubled in price too and everyone will hate you. Think you've the right idea, some stunning walks down there without the hordes.

https://www.camptoo.co.uk/supply/Glasgow--Scotland--United-Kingdom?date_start=20%2F08%2F2021&date_end=23%2F08%2F2021

Some of those prices are eye watering to say the least

Just now, I'm Brian said:

Some of those prices are eye watering to say the least

Looked at it a couple of months ago and there were a couple in Inverness for £60-£70 a night that I was half tempted by. They're just taking the pish now.

Not August but we just booked a hut in Applecross for 3 nights at the start of September, we usually camp but the huts are easier with the dog. £145 for 2 people and the dog thought that was not bad and there was still 1 available from the Thursday the 9th until the Sunday.

On 02/08/2021 at 16:25, The Mantis said:

Our country needs us... me and Mrs Mantis are off to jolly Banff Friday to Monday. Obviously try and get some dawn/sunset snaps of the Bow Fiddle and a few hours at Trump Troup Heid. Maybe revisit Pennan and all that, and of course get a couple of hours off the leash and watch Vale v Brechin.

Paid £276 for 3 nights B&B at the County Hotel in Banff. Really struggling to get a room at all along that coast at about 2 weeks notice so settled for a double with private bathroom (not en-suite). Day before we set off, the owner Eric messaged me as he had a cancellation. Bigger room, en-suite, but a twin, same price.
Eric turned out to be French and his cooking was amazing.
While we were there, looked at some reviews, which were overwhelmingly good, but I like reading the bad ones for a laugh. There were two couples arrived in reception,  arguing about a £75 room they wanted which apparently had already gone. Both couples were making a fuss and Eric told them both to "Piss off!" 😂 Pushed all 4 of them out and shut the door on them. Class 🤣

16 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Paid £276 for 3 nights B&B at the County Hotel in Banff. Really struggling to get a room at all along that coast at about 2 weeks notice so settled for a double with private bathroom (not en-suite). Day before we set off, the owner Eric messaged me as he had a cancellation. Bigger room, en-suite, but a twin, same price.
Eric turned out to be French and his cooking was amazing.
While we were there, looked at some reviews, which were overwhelmingly good, but I like reading the bad ones for a laugh. There were two couples arrived in reception,  arguing about a £75 room they wanted which apparently had already gone. Both couples were making a fuss and Eric told them both to "Piss off!" 😂 Pushed all 4 of them out and shut the door on them. Class 🤣

You can always tell the ones who have been told to GTF when they've threatened a bad review if they don't get a special deal.