Transfer Rumour Thread

8 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Aye, Queens aye away.  I'd be amazed if they survive this season. 

All depends how early we sack Johnston really, and just how bad a squad he leaves behind for his replacement.  Given his cup record last season I can't imagine the new man will have a "transfer war chest".  So yeah, seaside here we come.

It's still early days but I think ourselves and Queens at least could be in for a vintage autumn of ringer signings. There's not much out there in the free agent market and where our first-choice goalkeeper is going to come from is a mystery. I'd therefore be content for us to sign up nearly all of last season's squad who are still on furlough (not fucking Muirhead though), when normally I'd be wanting half of them out the door as well.

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's still early days but I think ourselves and Queens at least could be in for a vintage autumn of ringer signings. There's not much out there in the free agent market and where our first-choice goalkeeper is going to come from is a mystery. I'd therefore be content for us to sign up nearly all of last season's squad who are still on furlough (not fucking Muirhead though), when normally I'd be wanting half of them out the door as well.

The players I wanted released along with the already confirmed Ramsbottom were McLean, McGinty, Millar, Muirhead and Doolan. Considering the risks of more Van Schaik figures turning up if we have to bring in another shedload of centre backs I can maybe see an argument for keeping McLean as cover, but if anything the circumstances make releasing the rest of them even more important.

If we're running with a tighter squad than usual we can't afford to be carrying four players incapable of a good performance at this level, whether that's through being past it in the case of Millar and Doolan or never having been good enough like the other two.

Robbie Neilson has paid actual real money for Muirhead in the past though, so maybe in our wildest dreams he could hilariously find himself back at Tynecastle. I sadly expect to see him and McGinty stinking our squad out though.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Presumably you should get confirmation within the next 48 hours regarding the existing players? I assume they were furloughed to 31 July and those they don't want to keep won't be furloughed further unless they are on the retention list.

22 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Presumably you should get confirmation within the next 48 hours regarding the existing players? 

This is Morton we are talking about. The update could come out any time between now and January.

All depends how early we sack Johnston really, and just how bad a squad he leaves behind for his replacement.  Given his cup record last season I can't imagine the new man will have a "transfer war chest".  So yeah, seaside here we come.

At the time the league finished, Queens were the worst team in the championship, not be that bad again, surely

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Plainly we werent. If we had been we would have been relegated. 

Disagree. 

Over the whole season you evidently weren't the worst team, however the QoTS team in the first half of the season was evidently allot better than the one that finished, McCrorie and Faiss done well for QoTS. 

By the end, having Stewart in goals was a massive downgrade, don't think the op is wrong at all to say that by the season end, you had the worst team. 

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Disagree. 

Over the whole season you evidently weren't the worst team, however the QoTS team in the first half of the season was evidently allot better than the one that finished, McCrorie and Faiss done well for QoTS. 

By the end, having Stewart in goals was a massive downgrade, don't think the op is wrong at all to say that by the season end, you had the worst team. 

Yeah I knew what he meant but lets not start encouraging Partick Thistle to thinking they were cheated again. We hadnt won a game in 2020 but neither had Thistle. They couldnt beat us on their own pitch a week before lockdown. Maybe we were worse at the time, maybe they were, there certainly wasnt much in it. Crucially though we were better earlier in the season before we lost 3 big players. We lost the best keeper in the division, our best centre back and our most creative player / lead assister. Any team would struggle to deal with that combination. We certainly couldnt.

Everyone in the league apart from United was complete pish last season. Even United plunged to the average level after the league was all but wrapped up.
They were average both times they visited Palmerston. The first time we beat them 4-0 and the second time they scored and they completely shit-bagged it by sitting in. 3 points is 3 points but for those that watched QoS last season, just imagine sitting in against that mob.

United were the best of a shite bunch and got the job done which is all that they'll care about I suppose.

8 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Everyone in the league apart from United was complete pish last season. Even United plunged to the average level after the league was all but wrapped up.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

They were average both times they visited Palmerston. The first time we beat them 4-0 and the second time they scored and they completely shit-bagged it by sitting in. 3 points is 3 points but for those that watched QoS last season, just imagine sitting in against that mob.

United were the best of a shite bunch and got the job done which is all that they'll care about I suppose.

Yeah, whilst I suspect we got them at "good" times last year for them not to be very good, they weren't particularly impressive despite winning the league and actually the fact they won it by so big a distance shows how mediocre at best everyone else was. United won't care, and that's fair enough, but they weren't particularly impressive champions really. I'm not convinced they'd even have won it without Shankland. He was the difference.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah I knew what he meant but lets not start encouraging Partick Thistle to thinking they were cheated again. We hadnt won a game in 2020 but neither had Thistle. They couldnt beat us on their own pitch a week before lockdown. Maybe we were worse at the time, maybe they were, there certainly wasnt much in it. Crucially though we were better earlier in the season before we lost 3 big players. We lost the best keeper in the division, our best centre back and our most creative player / lead assister. Any team would struggle to deal with that combination. We certainly couldnt.

Okay we lost 3 key players 2 we got a transfer fee for but the idea is your try and replace them with the same standard of player .

AJ signing in Jan every one was very poor .

2 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Okay we lost 3 key players 2 we got a transfer fee for but the idea is your try and replace them with the same standard of player .

AJ signing in Jan every one was very poor .

If you could easily replace players in January clubs wouldn't be falling over themselves to pay transfer fees. It's notoriously difficult to get quality in during the January window. Ross Stewart was pretty much the only experienced goalkeeper on the market available for instance. Going the untried route with Devine / Ledger didn't work either and Petravicous was an international. None of them really worked out but the manager was left holding no aces and short notice to fix it. His squad for the start of the season was reasonably well assembled considering he started with one senior player contracted (and then persuaded Brownlie, Murray, Mercer, Leighfield to stay). He'll have a similar task this year. If he does it as well we'll be ok.