Inside Tynecastle - BBC Documentary for 2019/20

23 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Meant to watch the end credits to see if Ann Budge’s name appears in any of the production or editorial roles but I bloody forgot again. 

Same here but I had slipped into a coma like sleep by that point. 

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

This has been worth it just to see  @Tony Wonder getting uber-protective of the documentary and getting right on the defensive at any criticism of it. 

It's fucking shite, m8. 

unnamed (87).gif

Uber-protective 😄

As for it being shite, I don't think I've claimed anything else.  

I've recorded the two episodes so far but I half watched them at the time. There's been the odd interesting bit but largely it's been opportunity missed I suspect. It can't seem to decide what it wants to be. I'd find a longer series getting into depth about some of the people that run the club interesting but I know some of these people and it's my area. It might not be massive entertainment for prime time non football people. If it wants to be a warts and all dressing room access piece then it needs to do more detail in the squad and be braver with its editorial but I guess Hearts wouldn't have allowed it.

In the end, and I say this guardedly because I've not watched it properly yet, it ends up being neither and is largely instantly forgettable tv.

EDIT - And yes, I agree with Raith against the Machine. I think the Covid pandemic probably overwhelmed the thing and took it to a different experience than was ever intended.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Do you feel like the onset of such a momentous season was a bit of a hindrance for the filmmakers? Like they'd have been happier just filming... St Johnstone a few of seasons ago. Nice mid-table finish, some characters around the club to interview, a few wee vox pops out in Perth town centre. 

Aye, but does that not suggest an even bigger failing by the documentary makers, though?

It was already a fairly traumatic season with the team struggling when filming began - relegation, two managerial changes, and the Covid crisis surely presented serious opportunities for genuine drama to be captured, and yet the content is pretty bland.

The third and final episode could change all that, of course, but it doesn't look that way, based in the first two episodes. 

There's just no real narrative thread. As someone said after the first episode it was like... 

Narrator: "This is the Hearts treatment room. Defender Craig Halkett has a sore leg."

Craig Halkett: "I've got a sore leg."

*cut to hospitality*

Typically in these types of programmes you'll get scenes like that, but they'll link through to the end. So, for example...

Episode One: You find out all about young goalkeeper Harry Stone who wants to be a doctor if he doesn't make it. 

Episode Two: Harry Stone is called up to train with the first team but has to withdraw through injury, potentially ending his season. 

Episode Three: Injuries to the other goalkeepers mean a half-fit Harry Stone is thrown in at the deep-end in a relegation clincher. 

Now, that third event obviously didn't happen, and there's no way for anyone to know what will happen when they start filming a series like this. But that's why they go and speak to as many people as possible, get as much footage as possible, and then build narratives with the benefit of hindsight. This programme doesn't do that, instead it feels like we're getting 30 seconds with every single person the producers happened to bump into. 

I just don't know who the intended audience is. Some of the voiceover is pitched at such a level it might be for children who've never seen football before. "The transfer window is an opportunity for Hearts to buy and sell players" stuck with me for some reason. And that goes back to my previous post. I think they wanted to make a nice, safe "behind the scenes" football documentary that stayed away from all the interesting stuff and just focused on the girls who sell the 50/50, but they found themselves in the middle of a total shitstorm without the remit or the desire to cover it properly. 

On 17/11/2020 at 08:33, true_rover said:

I think part of the problem is the number of episodes available - 3 isn't enough to go into anything other than the highest level look at a season, particularly one like last season.

The likes of Sunderland Til I Die and the Amazon series on Man City and Spurs have around 10 for the same time frame.

Yeah, the second episode was better than the first in terms of actually attempting some sort of narrative which was lacking in the first by following Stendel, having a wee look at training, his attempts to bond with players, the general progress of results and the transfer window, but it's still doing less than it could.

If they even had six episodes rather than three they could follow a narrative of the season properly like that while still having time to do the pieces highlighting various backroom staff, the women's team etc. The features on groundsmen, hospitality staff etc would then provide a nice balance to the football side so you're not just watching a run through of the season, and you could find a balance that could keep both diehard football fans and more casual viewers interested. Instead they've got something which still looks more like a sequence of clips waiting to be edited into a coherent programme because they're trying to cram so much in to so little time.

None of which justifies the deliberate attempt to mislead the audience. As said previously said you expect this programme to have a sympathetic outlook towards Hearts and some editorial input from them as well, but cutting straight from Dale Tonge saying they were three games unbeaten to the season being suspended was utterly shameless. You don't even necessarily need to show footage from the St Mirren game - although you really should - but even a documentary made solely by Hearts for Hearts fans alone wouldn't get away with being so brazen as to fail to mention it at all.

40 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, the second episode was better than the first in terms of actually attempting some sort of narrative which was lacking in the first by following Stendel, having a wee look at training, his attempts to bond with players, the general progress of results and the transfer window, but it's still doing less than it could.

If they even had six episodes rather than three they could follow a narrative of the season properly like that while still having time to do the pieces highlighting various backroom staff, the women's team etc. The features on groundsmen, hospitality staff etc would then provide a nice balance to the football side so you're not just watching a run through of the season, and you could find a balance that could keep both diehard football fans and more casual viewers interested. Instead they've got something which still looks more like a sequence of clips waiting to be edited into a coherent programme because they're trying to cram so much in to so little time.

None of which justifies the deliberate attempt to mislead the audience. As said previously said you expect this programme to have a sympathetic outlook towards Hearts and some editorial input from them as well, but cutting straight from Dale Tonge saying they were three games unbeaten to the season being suspended was utterly shameless. You don't even necessarily need to show footage from the St Mirren game - although you really should - but even a documentary made solely by Hearts for Hearts fans alone wouldn't get away with being so brazen as to fail to mention it at all.

This is where I'm keen to see how they've handled the court case. They're already teeing it up with Budge talking about fairness being needed - I get the feeling they'll portray ourselves, United and Cove as shitebags and Hearts being lambs to the slaughter with no acknowledgement of the situation. 

My two highlights from episode two:

Despite having five (FIVE) shots, Hearts couldn't score in the derby.

Liam Boyce has been to a gym before.

This is an absolutely dreadful programme quite simply because it is completely boring.

I could have accepted a puff piece if it at least had a bit of substance behind it. It's so flowery it's unreal. I don't think I've learned a single thing from 2 episodes covering half a season that I wouldn't from the director's notes part in a pre-match programme. Unbelievably shallow and you have morons like Tam McManus lapping it up and calling it a 'great insight' into how football clubs work.

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

This is where I'm keen to see how they've handled the court case. They're already teeing it up with Budge talking about fairness being needed - I get the feeling they'll portray ourselves, United and Cove as shitebags and Hearts being lambs to the slaughter with no acknowledgement of the situation. 

So accurately then? 😏

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I could have accepted a puff piece if it at least had a bit of substance behind it. It's so flowery it's unreal. I don't think I've learned a single thing from 2 episodes covering half a season that I wouldn't from the director's notes part in a pre-match programme. Unbelievably shallow and you have morons like Tam McManus lapping it up and calling it a 'great insight' into how football clubs work.

You’ve learnt that when you vote a big club into the diddy league you get an extended stay in said diddy league!

17 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

You’ve learnt that when you vote a big club into the diddy league you get an extended stay in said diddy league!

I see you're still a monumentally thick c**t 😂

You do realise that whichever way we had voted, we'd be playing in the second tier this season don't you?