Inside Tynecastle - BBC Documentary for 2019/20

26 minutes ago, dumpweed said:

Also,

Harry Cochrane got a mention. Shipped out to Montrose on loan? WTF happened to him?

Still only 19. Getting some game time I guess. 

Seemed a decent player from memory. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Whole organisation was shown up to be completely amateurish at every level.  Is Robbie Neilson Budges love child? Definitely a resemblance there.

Not sure that's fair but they certainly handled the departure of Stendel REALLY badly and the programme, although it brushed past it far too quickly, at least didn't hide that. One minute Budge is saying on camera that his contract allows both parties a break option in the event of relegation but it doesn't need to happen and they need to discuss it and the next she's hired Neilson and is desperately trying to get hold of Stendel to tell him before it leaks. Which she failed to do. There's really no excuse for that. When they decided to speak to Neilson the decision had already been taken to dispense with Stendel and he should have been informed at that point, not once they'd sought permission to talk to Neilson, talked to him, agreed a deal and had the papers leak it before any official announcement. Although the leak probably generated as soon as permission was requested from United.

I remember saying at the time that the position of Stendel had been very grey in public but it wasn't clear they'd handled it quite as badly as they did. I would have liked to hear more from Stendel post dismissal but it's clear it wasn't a decision he actively encouraged and the brief bit we did get suggested he had been willing to work at Championship level. Whether his wage was too high for Championship level is another question and they maybe took an economic decision to end it although there was no hint they'd tried to renegotiate either (perhaps they did).

The most irritating bit I caught last night was the suggestion (again) from Budge that relegation was unfair because it costs people jobs and affects budgets. Well duh! Relegation does that to somebody every season Ann. That doesn't make it unfair. That's the nature of a competition in which success is rewarded with promotion and titles and failure is rewarded with relegation. She never did quite seem to grasp that it's not the concept of relegation that's unfair, Hearts "finishing" bottom when the season was ended early (something pretty much everyone accepts had to happen) was the unfortunate and perhaps even unfair thing but it is what it is. There was never likely to be an appetite for change and it would have been more unfair to deny promotion to the sides below.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

41 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure that's fair but they certainly handled the departure of Stendel REALLY badly and the programme, although it brushed past it far too quickly, at least didn't hide that. One minute Budge is saying on camera that his contract allows both parties a break option in the event of relegation but it doesn't need to happen and they need to discuss it and the next she's hired Neilson and is desperately trying to get hold of Stendel to tell him before it leaks. Which she failed to do. There's really no excuse for that. When they decided to speak to Neilson the decision had already been taken to dispense with Stendel and he should have been informed at that point, not once they'd sought permission to talk to Neilson, talked to him, agreed a deal and had the papers leak it before any official announcement. Although the leak probably generated as soon as permission was requested from United.

I remember saying at the time that the position of Stendel had been very grey in public but it wasn't clear they'd handled it quite as badly as they did. I would have liked to hear more from Stendel post dismissal but it's clear it wasn't a decision he actively encouraged and the brief bit we did get suggested he had been willing to work at Championship level. Whether his wage was too high for Championship level is another question and they maybe took an economic decision to end it although there was no hint they'd tried to renegotiate either (perhaps they did).

The most irritating bit I caught last night was the suggestion (again) from Budge that relegation was unfair because it costs people jobs and affects budgets. Well duh! Relegation does that to somebody every season Ann. That doesn't make it unfair. That's the nature of a competition in which success is rewarded with promotion and titles and failure is rewarded with relegation. She never did quite seem to grasp that it's not the concept of relegation that's unfair, Hearts "finishing" bottom when the season was ended early (something pretty much everyone accepts had to happen) was the unfortunate and perhaps even unfair thing but it is what it is. There was never likely to be an appetite for change and it would have been more unfair to deny promotion to the sides below.

I just didn't see much of the professionalism I expected really from a club of hearts size. Didn't seem any better organised than you would see at clubs in the juniors. Gary Locke seems to have the cushiest job at the club. I.had a chuckle at him saying cheerio as he was leaving the office in the first episode and receiving zero reply. They were all probably thinking that him fucked off early again whilst we're all slaving away. Some of the stendel stuff was cringeworthy.  He seemed amazed at there being cameras and people there when he was introduced. Brought in some pile of shite mind you. Load of  the players brought in during the programme have been emptied by the start of the next season. Budge is completely clueless and surrounded by staff that seem to have little idea of what is going on at any one time.  When you add the ridiculous stuff seen in some of the training excerts it's like a Sunday pub side.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I just didn't see much of the professionalism I expected really from a club of hearts size. Didn't seem any better organised than you would see at clubs in the juniors. Gary Locke seems to have the cushiest job at the club. I.had a chuckle at him saying cheerio as he was leaving the office in the first episode and receiving zero reply. They were all probably thinking that him fucked off early again whilst we're all slaving away. Some of the stendel stuff was cringeworthy.  He seemed amazed at there being cameras and people there when he was introduced. Brought in some pile of shite mind you. Load of  the players brought in during the programme have been emptied by the start of the next season. Budge is completely clueless and surrounded by staff that seem to have little idea of what is going on at any one time.  When you add the ridiculous stuff seen in some of the training excerts it's like a Sunday pub side.

Reminded me of The Office when David Brent was made redundant and he went out to tell the staff. 

I didn’t watch the first two episodes, and based on the reviews on here I nearly didn’t watch the last one either. I sort of wish now I hadn’t bothered, although it wasn’t the very worst hour of my life, admittedly.

I can’t help feeling that the BBC really missed a massive trick here. Regardless of what had or hadn’t been agreed as a remit, circumstances conspired to drop what could have been a contender for “Documentary of the Year” into their laps, and they royally fucked it up with that amateurish disappointment.

Also, was it the worst soundtrack ever, or am I just showing my advancing age here?