Inside Tynecastle - BBC Documentary for 2019/20

1 hour ago, Green Day said:

I have recorded this, but based on some comments here it sounds a bit dull. 

Is it actually worth watching as a non Hearts fan?

As for the womens team comments - I assume that they were pointed in this direction by Budge etc as the Hearts Womens team were something she was trumpeting this time last year so makes sense it got some airtime.

Locke? A fan living the dream as "cheerleader".  I used to work alongside his brother - believe me, if you think Gary is a doughnut, you aint seen nothing..........................

It's boring.

Made for people looking for a high level story/little interest in football when the people actually watching know the story and want some insight/car crash moments.

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's boring.

Made for people looking for a high level story/little interest in football when the people actually watching know the story and want some insight/car crash moments.

I've got a feeling they might chuck Stendel under the bus a bit.  Levein and MacPhee got off lightly, Levein especially but there are two episodes to go, even if one is focused solely on the pandemic it means there'll be far more focus on Stendel than the other two.

6 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I've got a feeling they might chuck Stendel under the bus a bit.  Levein and MacPhee got off lightly, Levein especially but there are two episodes to go, even if one is focused solely on the pandemic it means there'll be far more focus on Stendel than the other two.

It needs something.

Let's be honest though, I'll watch the next two anyway.

1 hour ago, Wardy said:

How Gary Locke ever set foot in Starks Park as “manager” I’ll never know. He’s the type of guy who would bring his mum along with him to hand in CVs to places asking for work....

What a laugh of an appointment that was, Raith coming off a season where they finished fourth with Hibs and Rangers in the league, looking strong and a team that by and large you wouldn't fancy facing. 

Appoint Gary Locke. 

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

On Gary Locke and Raith Rovers, it's like hating the dog for crashing your car.

He tried his best and it all went horribly wrong, but ultimately you never should have given him the keys. 

In a similar scenario, which animal is Yogi Hughes during his time with Rovers?

For me, that appointment comes just after Claude Anelka and Jimmy the Janny in the ‘most disastrous’ category.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

What was the outcome of it? 

Don’t think there was an outcome but tbh, I thought it was pretty weak evidence to hammer the fan. He was shouting at Morelos but it could’ve been anything. The furore just died down after a couple of weeks.

Yes it was all a bit boring. There were 2 things that surprised me. The first was the number of people employed behind the scenes who looked very underemployed.

Secondly, if Hearts have a state of the art training facility at the Oriam why did they feel the need to go and train on a mud heap of a juniors pitch at St Andrews.? Is that justifiable? How many things like that are there in any football business that on their own don’t appear to cost much but all added together......and then these businesses claim to be skint when a crisis arises.

What a laugh of an appointment that was, Raith coming off a season where they finished fourth with Hibs and Rangers in the league, looking strong and a team that by and large you wouldn't fancy facing. 

Appoint Gary Locke. 
Outwith Rangers in 2012-2018 i think that season with Locke and Hughes is the most banter years that you'll see at an SPFL club. It was utterly incredible and makes me grateful for where we're currently at.

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:
36 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Appoint Gary Locke. 

Outwith Rangers in 2012-2018 i think that season with Locke and Hughes is the most banter years that you'll see at an SPFL club. It was utterly incredible and makes me grateful for where we're currently at.

Very much doubt that, most clubs have had calamitous seasons that will go down in folklore. Of the top of my head, our relegation season in 13/14 when we beat Celtic and finished with the 10-2 defeat at Hamilton, and the collapse from a seemingly unassailable position in 03/04 are noteworthy, as well as Falkirk’s hilarious relegation season in 18/19.

Raith aren’t unique to having a nightmare, it’s probably just more a case of it being more relevant to you.

20 minutes ago, Drewmc said:

Yes it was all a bit boring. There were 2 things that surprised me. The first was the number of people employed behind the scenes who looked very underemployed.

Secondly, if Hearts have a state of the art training facility at the Oriam why did they feel the need to go and train on a mud heap of a juniors pitch at St Andrews.? Is that justifiable? How many things like that are there in any football business that on their own don’t appear to cost much but all added together......and then these businesses claim to be skint when a crisis arises.

How on earth can you tell if someone was underemployed based on that?

MacPhee wanted to go to the junior ground as a team building exercise.  Get them on a poor pitch with a slope, make them realise what they have etc.  It was a shite plan, but it's not like it's a regular occurrence, it would've cost the amount of a bus to take the players there

Very much doubt that, most clubs have had calamitous seasons that will go down in folklore. Of the top of my head, our relegation season in 13/14 when we beat Celtic and finished with the 10-2 defeat at Hamilton, and the collapse from a seemingly unassailable position in 03/04 are noteworthy, as well as Falkirk’s hilarious relegation season in 18/19.
Raith aren’t unique to having a nightmare, it’s probably just more a case of it being more relevant to you.
I know the Terrace put Morton's season top and you're probably right. Ours was completely ridiculous at so many stages. The peak being loaning out our best young talent to Dumbarton only for him to relegate us while replacing him with 33 year old Ryan Stevenson (who scored 1 goal and played in goals for us against Ayr due to our boards ineptitude). I'm sure you'll have your own examples, and I did see the twitter thread from@TheGoon about it.

On the documentary, it was all as expected for the first exercise. A lot of fluff about "look at how nice we are". Even Levein was apologetic about being sacked. Felt the women's segment was fine: its part of the club and there should be more of a push to promote that side of the game to those who are interested.

I'm sure by the end Budge will be portrayed as a Saint and the other boards will get slaughtered for self interest. She's played a blinder this summer getting folk back on side after frustrating fans by sticking with Levein too long.

Boring, repetitive, not particularly enlightening and found myself skipping large chunks of it. But enough about @8GamesToGo's posts on Pie and Bovril...
435786888_20200820_223610(1).png.3e51e8748c6328d0ccb0288ecc67f95e.png

I'll be sure to read this thread after the second episode airs before deciding whether or not to dedicate any more of my precious time to watching this documentary.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

24 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:
58 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Appoint Gary Locke. 

In fairness the Hughes appointment I think was quite well received, it certainly seemed a decent appointment at the time. That interview after the St Mirren game though, oaft. 

That and the Billy Brown one are peak scenes. 

19 minutes ago, Toby said:

Dunfermline apparently finished 7th in league one recently, truth be told I can't remember anything about it. 

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Dunfermline apparently finished 7th in league one recently, truth be told I can't remember anything about it. 

What a year. Morton managed to lose 11 league games and still win the league.

43 minutes ago, Toby said:

Don’t think there was an outcome but tbh, I thought it was pretty weak evidence to hammer the fan. He was shouting at Morelos but it could’ve been anything. The furore just died down after a couple of weeks.

No offence but I'm glad that wasn't put in then. What is "warts n' all" about a guy being accused of possible racism, no action taken and nobody knows what was said - or cared after a few weeks - and how would it have improved your viewing of the program? 

As much as others have said really...

To cover the nuances of a shitshow of such proportions would require:

1. A full series
2. A reasonable budget
3. A journalistic team with talents which extend beyond the Sportsound massive

The production team have got the right idea- cover the club across community, backroom and playing levels.  However, the lack of depth and little nods to each of the area only serves to present a surface-level examination of the complex (and frankly hilarious) subject of how a club could be so mismanaged across all areas despite having such financial support from FOH and punters turning up every week spending their cash.  It leads most to conclude that this is a 'puff piece' but I think that this is more a case of half-arsedness (that's a phrase) and lack of expertise for taking on such a big job with little infrastructure or capability to deliver on it.

This leaves us couch-dwellers to draw our own entertainment and commentary from the series.  Highlights for me were:

1. Schottland 
2. Nice chipped finish by the Hearts striker over the stranded Thistle goalie
3. The interplay (fair play to the editing team tbf) between Austin McPhee getting carried away and the interview with the Hearts fan (one swallow doesn't make...)
4. The old impassioned 'stick together' speech which to any footballer means f**k all
5. f**k

Aye, when this documentary was first announced, it was billed as a behind-the-scenes warts-and-all show that would lift the lid on what really went down.

I think the production values are decent in that it's quite well made, and looks and sounds quite good, but it's obviously quite staged, so the content is quite bland, and it seems unlikely that we'll learn anything we didn't already know, other than confirming that McPhee should never have been anywhere near that gig in the first place.

When the Covid scenes are covered, I expect we'll see lots of people saying that 'its no' fair.'

Probably a good thing that they're not showing any warts, given that Budgie features so often, and we didn't really need to see Connor Washington in his tighty whities. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

No offence but I'm glad that wasn't put in then. What is "warts n' all" about a guy being accused of possible racism, no action taken and nobody knows what was said - or cared after a few weeks - and how would it have improved your viewing of the program? 

It was a problem for Hearts to deal with at the time. It would’ve shown how they cope with negative press coverage and the fallout from serious allegations.

Instead it was completely ignored. It didn’t fill me with much confidence that the BBC were prepared to cover anything that might show Hearts in a poor light.

Arguably it was in the interest of the fan, who presumably wasn’t convicted of any crime however, but in that game in particular, they covered the crowd and their behaviour in a tense atmosphere. Rather than what appeared a major problem at the time, the documentary commented on a flag saying Levein and Budge “Stole our club” and folk standing in gangways. Those weren’t the biggest problems to deal with that day for the Hearts security team.