Conspiracy Theories

• 2 weeks later...

Someone I know told me to keep an eye on the news this afternoon, as a member of their family sent them a message this morning that the Queen was dead.

Not the greatest conspiracy theory in the world, I know. Considering how many people have been saying she's been dead for years and wheeled about like Weekend at Bernie's, it was inevitable that somebody would get the timing right.

• 3 weeks later...

Who on Earth is still saying that the CIA's mind control experiments are urban legends? The American government has declassified plenty of documentation about them. They only reason they stopped is because it was a massive waste of time.

Considering nobody (other than the victims) suffered any negative consequences for their involvement, it's pretty safe to say that there'll be similar casual infodumps in fifty years' time, when people will still be saying, "thank God our government doesn't do things like this to us anymore".

15 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Who on Earth is still saying that the CIA's mind control experiments are urban legends? The American government has declassified plenty of documentation about them. They only reason they stopped is because it was a massive waste of time.

Considering nobody (other than the victims) suffered any negative consequences for their involvement, it's pretty safe to say that there'll be similar casual infodumps in fifty years' time, when people will still be saying, "thank God our government doesn't do things like this to us anymore".

It's definitely not a big waste of time. There is no point trying to do a Manchurian Candidate style thing but the real focus is on population level psy ops through the media and the impact on society of pushing drugs into certain communities.

That there is no TV show or film about Operation Midnight Climax is evidence enough that this is all officially off limits.

Edited by Detournement

9 hours ago, Detournement said:

It's definitely not a big waste of time. There is no point trying to do a Manchurian Candidate style thing but the real focus is on population level psy ops through the media and the impact on society of pushing drugs into certain communities.

That there is no TV show or film about Operation Midnight Climax is evidence enough that this is all officially off limits.

Pretty sure there is...from what I remember it was made in Denmark in the early 70s going by the state of the bush on show.

Been listening to the podcast Hoaxed, about the Hampstead Hoax, a conspiracy theory alleging that Satanic Ritual abuse was taking place at a huge scale in a Hampstead primary school and church.  Really horrible case - it was fabricated by several very manipulative people, lead to huge disruption for completely innocent families who had their details distributed on the internet.

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

In the UK we have hilarious conspiracy theory wackos like @Captain Saintsible and @Detournement

but we are rank amateurs when it comes to the US.

This woman went on TV to claim that the Democrats are creating hurricanes and tornadoes to target Republican states.

Apparently "we know the technology exists" and that "of course" Biden would use it to punish Republican voters.

Former GOP candidates push baseless QAnon conspiracy theory that Hurricane Ian was created to punish DeSantis (msn.com)

I was once in Nashville when it was hit by a tornado.  One street was severely damaged while the parallel streets on either side were totally untouched.

Those "Vote Democrat" signs in the front lawn were very effective at deflecting tornadoes.

I think I should get one just in case.