Conspiracy Theories

On 14/10/2020 at 13:32, ICTChris said:

There is also something called Chronic Lyme Disease, where people who have not been infected with the bacteria that causes Lyme claim to have the disease.

Post-viral fatigue is a well recognised phenomenon. Lyme Disease is a real infectious disease, with a known cause and known complications. Chronic Lyme Disease is not backed up by any evidence. It's part of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome spectrum; what used to be called "myalgic encephalomyelitis", a rather nonsensical mishmash of medical terminology that essentially means muscle pain with inflammation of the brain and spinal cord: pathology that's never been demonstrated.

There's a lot of misinformation out there and a lot of people with very extreme views. My personal feeling is that there is definitely a spectrum of various symptoms that are real and often debilitating. However, I don't think there is a common cause. Many patients want there to be a unifying physical cause, but extensive research hasn't found one.

There is a huge stigma about syndromes that have no organic cause, which is perpetuated by many medical professionals, something I have been guilty of in the past. However, the symptoms are real and not imagined and can be treated in some cases with psychotherapies, which does perpetuate the stereotype of "it's all in your head".

There was a crackpot American woman, Helen Kramer, who claimed that she was Loraine Allison, the only first class child to die in the Titanic sinking (along with her parents; bizarrely, the baby brother, Trevor, was saved by his nanny, who took him into a lifeboat in circumstances that still defy explanation. It’s presumed the parents didn’t know this and remained on the ship hunting for him, thereby inadvertently condemning themselves and Loraine to an icy death).

Anyway, this nutter not only claimed that she was Loraine, but that she had been rescued by none other than the ship’s designer, Thomas Andrews, who also secretly survived and started living under the assumed name “Mr Hyde”. He  supposedly raised her in obscurity in the Midwest whilst being paid to keep quiet by J Bruce Ismay - apparently so that he wouldn’t reveal the ship’s design flaws at either Inquiry.

Obviously, Helen Kramer is now dead. The Allison family naturally dismissed her as a fortune hunter and had nothing to do with her, despite her maintaining her bizarre story until her death. I believe her granddaughter still keeps up the charade, despite DNA tests since having disproved any connection between Kramer and the Allison family.

On 06/08/2020 at 14:54, Detournement said:

TrueAnon is a podcast I like listening to which focuses on the Epstein case and other conspiracy stuff. Not long ago they had Azaela Banks who has hung out with Elon Musk and other silicon valley oligarchs. Her insane theory is that people like Musk want to move all production to the Moon/Mars where it will be carried out by clones and the Earth will be depopulated so it's a playground for the rich which has elements of eugenics, ecofascism and transhumanism.

It wasn't until I was at work the next day that I realised she was basically just describing Total Recall and Moon. 

It's happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a guess, but is the idea that Elon Musk wants to set Mars up as the new hot spot for sex tourism?

Not that I'd say he's OFTW, but only because he'd probably have me killed.

Here's a subreddit whose contents you can probably guess via the name: https://www.reddit.com/r/QAnonCasualties/

If even some of those stories are true, that's fucking terrifying.

Not being a Reddit person, it's always interesting to see the shit you manage to extract from its depths.

2 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Who do we reckon is getting spied on these days then? I'd assume most of the SNP which might explain why they're  slow to trust post 2014 membership. Greens too I suppose, anyone else?

Probably P&B subversives like you and me, brother.

Div is in the pay of The Man

Me and the mrs were spied on in Harvey Nicholls in Embra. Just went in for a look and security followed at a deliberately indiscreet distance. Clearly clocked that we couldn't afford anything. 

I reckon that every single one of the intolerant fuckwits that was protesting at the French Embassy a couple of weeks ago probably has someone following them until they get bored.