Conspiracy Theories

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

An English rumour becomes an American conspiricy theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_is_dead

Part of this theory is to take the cover of Magical Mystery Tour and look at it in the mirror.  The word Beatles in reverse sort of looks like 531 7438 which just happens to be the number of a morgue in London.  If there was any truth in this then Paul was dead before they chose the name Beatles.

Incidentially another band are often accused of copying the Beatles.  51540.  Any guesses?

54 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Incidentially another band are often accused of copying the Beatles.  51540.  Any guesses?

Van Halen?

Edit: caught an interesting thing on Channel 5 last night about the theory that the collapse of the World Trade Center towers was caused by explosions. The idea was that the temperature at the crash site was easily enough to melt the aluminium in the plane, which flowed down through the structure into the floors that had been flooded from the sprinkler systems. Apparently molten aluminium and water makes for a very potent high explosive. That would be enough to cause a floor or two to collapse, and apparently it's universally acknowledged that the force of a single floor collapsing would be enough to bring down the one underneath, and you've got a domino effect that brings down the whole thing.

Sounded like it made sense and, remarkably, the word 'sheeple' wasn't used once. More importantly, it lulled me off to sleep quite nicely.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Van Halen?

Edit: caught an interesting thing on Channel 5 last night about the theory that the collapse of the World Trade Center towers was caused by explosions. The idea was that the temperature at the crash site was easily enough to melt the aluminium in the plane, which flowed down through the structure into the floors that had been flooded from the sprinkler systems. Apparently molten aluminium and water makes for a very potent high explosive. That would be enough to cause a floor or two to collapse, and apparently it's universally acknowledged that the force of a single floor collapsing would be enough to bring down the one underneath, and you've got a domino effect that brings down the whole thing.

Sounded like it made sense and, remarkably, the word 'sheeple' wasn't used once. More importantly, it lulled me off to sleep quite nicely.

I remember when a "one of the most qualified civil engineers in the world" types they keep coming up with found a red flake of something in the ruins that was 100% proof that explosives were used. It was sent off for independent analysis and turned out to be primer paint.

They've got stamina though, prove to them conclusively that their theory doesn't stack up, and they'll just veer on to the next one, denying that they ever claimed the debunked one to be true.

Edited by welshbairn

47 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Why can't someone rich just build a perfect World Trade Center replica in the middle of nowhere, fly some planes into it and see what happens?

Not sure if that's what you're referencing, but there was a crowdfunder to do that exact thing years ago. Not sure what happened with it.

IIRC, it pretty much amounted to making a miniature tower out of papier mache and smacking a Cessna into it, and they wanted hundreds of thousands for doing it  :lol:

39 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I remember when a "one of the most qualified civil engineers in the world" types they keep coming up with found a red flake of something in the ruins that was 100% proof that explosives were used. It was sent off for independent analysis and turned out to be primer paint.

They've got stamina though, prove to them conclusively that their theory doesn't stack up, and they'll just veer on to the next one, denying that they ever claimed the debunked one to be true.

The boys on the show last night were claiming there'd be significant quantities of aluminium oxide present in the rubble if there'd been explosions due to an aluminium-based chemical reaction. They weren't allowed access, perhaps unsurprisingly.

Unless the show was pandering to more fruitcakes, it came across like this analysis might be something that happens further down the road, followed by a grudging admission that, aye, we maybe didn't consider that when we compiled our original report. Not that it would make much of a difference, I wouldn't have thought - not sure what you do to avoid the possibility of a passenger jet melting under high temperatures in your skyscraper, and it certainly wouldn't pacify the mob who think the Bush administration were in on the whole thing.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Bush had only been in for about nine months, it would’ve taken longer than that to plan. Did the Clintons do a handover?

I've never heard anyone question where Obama was while this was all going on.

Somebody should mention that to @realDonaldTrump. Could get him across the line IMO.

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Why can't someone rich just build a perfect World Trade Center replica in the middle of nowhere, fly some planes into it and see what happens?

I thought about this too but you can't just build in the replicas in the middle of nowhere.  Factors like wind speed, temperature and humidity could affect the result.  No.  It would have to be Lower Manhattan.  You  would also need to fill them with terrified office workers in case that is a factor.  Then you would need to phone up whoever to fly in their B team to do the same thing.  Even then they might strike a floor too high or a floor low and that could change everything.

IMHO I can't see it happening.

4 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've never heard anyone question where Obama was while this was all going on.

Oh, I have.  The first clip in. It became quite a thing for a while with the Right Wing Media quietly stoking the "Where was Obama when all this was going on?" outrage and the simpletons falling for it, as they always do.

Edited by Shotgun

On 11/09/2020 at 15:55, Shandön Par said:

Tall buildings can sway a wee bit. In the Red Road flats in Glasgow the bath water could slosh about on a windy day. 

Quite a few years ago I relined the main water storage tanks at the top of the Red Road flats and you could certainly see the water move up and down the side of the tank by anything up to 300mm, a very surreal feeling of being on a moving boat is the way I'd describe the feeling standing right on the very top of the buildings.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Oh, I have.  The first clip in. It became quite a thing for a while with the Right Wing Media quietly stoking the "Where was Obama when all this was going on?" outrage and the simpletons falling for it, as they always do.

That video should be broadcast in every Trumpish marginal County by the Trump campaign to remind them why they voted for him the first time. Nothing like redoing Hillary's "deplorables" to fire up the base. City slicker taking the pish out of them always goes down well. Hell, I should apply for a job on the campaign, get the Russians to pay for it.

Edited by welshbairn

58 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That video should be broadcast in every Trumpish marginal County by the Trump campaign to remind them why they voted for him the first time. Nothing like redoing Hillary's "deplorables" to fire up the base. City slicker taking the pish out of them always goes down well. Hell, I should apply for a job on the campaign, get the Russians to pay for it.

Now see, this is an argument I've heard many times but I don't understand it. Conservatives are relentlessly abusive towards liberals. They call us traitors, America haters and terrorist lovers. They threaten us with violence, call for boycotts of our businesses, destroy our careers and burn the products of our athlete's sponsors. They create conspiracy theories about paedophile rings and other non-existent crimes. They send death threats, rape threats and spray hateful graffiti on our property. This doesn't just stem from social media extremists but mainstream news outlets. Every liberal has been on the wrong end of this type of hatred on a regular basis.

But we're supposed to treat them with dignity and respect, otherwise they'll vote for Trump and it will be our fault. This just makes no sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Now see, this is an argument I've heard many times but I don't understand it. Conservatives are relentlessly abusive towards liberals. They call us traitors, America haters and terrorist lovers. They threaten us with violence, call for boycotts of our businesses, destroy our careers and burn the products of our athlete's sponsors. They create conspiracy theories about paedophile rings and other non-existent crimes. They send death threats, rape threats and spray hateful graffiti on our property. This doesn't just stem from social media extremists but mainstream news outlets. Every liberal has been on the wrong end of this type of hatred on a regular basis.

But we're supposed to treat them with dignity and respect, otherwise they'll vote for Trump and it will be our fault. This just makes no sense to me.

That’s generally what these types do though. Flip the script to avoid accountability.

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

...I give up. Satire is dead. I, for one, welcome our new ridiculous overlords.

13 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Coastal liberal sickos control the culture whereas conservatives are just decent hardworking Americans who shouldn't be talked down to

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

I'd just rather he picked on the likes of Sebastian Gorka rather than sifting through Trumpets to find the thickest fish in the barrel to ridicule for Saturday night TV entertainment.

Edited by welshbairn