Conspiracy Theories

It’s built in accordance with the worlds northern hemisphere to a scale of 1/43200. The perimeter of the corner sockets equals 1/43200 of the earths equatorial circumference and the height including the base is 1/42300 th that of the earths polar radius. 

It's also 21237/1 of a golf ball's circumference, it doesn't mean Jean van de Velde's a space alien.

Folk who spout this sort of pish aren't interested in the truth, they just like the idea of aliens and refuse to apply Occam's razor.

46 minutes ago, throbber said:

They weren’t built by slaves either that’s a myth. There were no slaves in those days. There weren’t even very many people in the world.

They used a bunch of geordie brickies to build them.

27 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's also 21237/1 of a golf ball's circumference, it doesn't mean Jean van de Velde's a space alien.

Folk who spout this sort of pish aren't interested in the truth, they just like the idea of aliens and refuse to apply Occam's razor.

“You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight... I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!” Richard Feynman

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

For what possible reason would they do this? 

I'm not suggesting cover-ups involving aliens, but it's been obvious for years that 'Egyptology' is a self-serving racket. 

There are huge holes in Egyptologists' timeline regarding Egyptian civilisation and rulers, but they just shuffle everything together then stick their fingers in their ears when people question the obvious incongruities. Zahi Hawass spent decades resolutely refusing scientific scrutiny or investigation of Egyptian archaeological sites, all while they were falling into further and further ruin because the Egyptian state lacked the means to care for or investigate them properly themselves. Bizarre behaviour for someone who was supposed to be the guardian and protector of these places and presents as an aficionado of all things Egyptian. There's a long-standing suspicion that the entirety of Egyptian 'Egyptology' is geared towards prevention of advancement of scientific understanding of Egypt, purely because it'll undermine and expose the wee racket that they have going on.

My partner works with genuine archaeologists, geologists, and anthropologists, and says that every single one of them regards 'Egyptology' as quack and not something that bears up to any scrutiny whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

I'm not suggesting cover-ups involving aliens, but it's been obvious for years that 'Egyptology' is a self-serving racket. 

There are huge holes in Egyptologists' timeline regarding Egyptian civilisation and rulers, but they just shuffle everything together then stick their fingers in their ears when people question the obvious incongruities. Zahi Hawass spent decades resolutely refusing scientific scrutiny or investigation of Egyptian archaeological sites, all while they were falling into further and further ruin because the Egyptian state lacked the means to care for or investigate them properly themselves. Bizarre behaviour for someone who was supposed to be the guardian and protector of these places and presents as an aficionado of all things Egyptian. There's a long-standing suspicion that the entirety of Egyptian 'Egyptology' is geared towards prevention of advancement of scientific understanding of Egypt, purely because it'll undermine and expose the wee racket that they have going on.

My partner works with genuine archaeologists, geologists, and anthropologists, and says that every single one of them regards 'Egyptology' as quack and not something that bears up to any scrutiny whatsoever.

Like the dodgy farmer on time team who had grass under his standing stones and buried a sword on top of a flattened fence? 

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Exactly, a healthy contempt for the mortality of hundreds of thousands of slaves helped them build the impossible.

90% of human progress neatly encapsulated there.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Like the dodgy farmer on time team who had grass under his standing stones and buried a sword on top of a flattened fence? 

Well, I think it's more that the established version of events suits the people who have been espousing it, and that they're hell bent on preventing anything that might call into question their integrity or professional credibility.

It doesn't help when mainstream sources continue to buy in to and promulgate the guff either. Without fail the BBC describes the Giza pyramids as 'tombs' in every single article that mentions them, when the evidence shows that was never their intended function, and neither were they ever used as tombs.

Bums on seats though. It suits people in Egypt who have built their reputations on assumption and speculation with precious little scrutiny to hold it to account, and of course, the Egyptian tourism industry.  Finding out that no, random Pharaoh wasn't laid to rest in X pyramid wouldn't put me off going to have a look, but punting romanticised versions of reality is a big part of what tourism is about. This example is just a gripe though. There are far bigger questions to be asked of Egyptology. Timelines that have specific Pharaohs ruling for hundreds of years etc.

59 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

One of my pals believes in some alien conspiricy about the origins of humans. He's normal except this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anunnaki

I'd like to suspend my disbelief and go all in on a mental origin story like this or an out there take on history. Like Kasparov believing the Dark Ages didn't happen for example. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_chronology_(Fomenko)

I mind watching some documentary that was explaining how the Chinese state teaches Chinese citizens that Han Chinese evolved separately from the remainder of the human race, and that they're not related to the rest of the world's population of Homo Sapiens at all. That's a belter.

6 hours ago, throbber said:

They weren’t built by slaves either that’s a myth. There were no slaves in those days. There weren’t even very many people in the world.

Not really sure that’s correct. It may be true that there was no collective noun for the many strata of bonded or forced labourers, so they were just seen as workers. In a modern context, would you say Gammons didn’t exist before the term Gammon was coined? 

They may have been “free” in the sense they could go for a walk after work, for example.  

It’s maybe something the modern day Egyptian government is propagating in an attempt to gloss over Egypt’s terrible record on modern day slavery and paint itself as this artisanal enclave.

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Not really sure that’s correct. It may be true that there was no collective noun for the many strata of bonded or forced labourers, so they were just seen as workers. In a modern context, would you say Gammons didn’t exist before the term Gammon was coined? 

They may have been “free” in the sense they could go for a walk after work, for example.  

It’s maybe something the modern day Egyptian government is propagating in an attempt to gloss over Egypt’s terrible record on modern day slavery and paint itself as this artisanal enclave.

It's pretty difficult to distinguish between slave and worker before money was invented, and I think property. 

I've always taken the assertion that 'the pyramids weren't built by slaves' to mean that there's nothing to suggest they were treated in the typical way in which we picture slavery in ancient or 'savage' cultures in our mind, i.e. they weren't routinely flogged on the job by taskmasters, starved, beaten, or worked to death, but that doesn't mean they were all so totally devoted to their rulers that they were working pro-bono, or organised their entire lives and families around which shifts were available lugging rocks up the north side of some big knob's vanity project.

Edited by Boo Khaki

23 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I clambered up onto the first block on the great pyramid, and then got told to get down, it is amazing. IRL. IMO.
Thank you.

Who by? The missus, the kids you were embarrassing, or some gun-toting Egyptian cops unimpressed with your climbing abilities?

My everlasting memory of Egypt will be my Mother being too stupid to realise that our Nubian guide not only understood English perfectly well, but he could hear every single word of her repeatedly expressing her surprise at just how black he was. :mellow: