Conspiracy Theories

27 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Q Anon started with one person or a small group of people taking the piss and there will be a lot more on that bandwagon now.

There are Trump-supporting candidates for Congress running on QAnon platforms.  This is far more than a few folk taking the piss.

That's how most of these social media nutjob fads kick off, and then millions of whooshed people start trying to justify the jokes as real. Like the beardy men in dresses claiming to identify as lesbians and demanding the right of access to women's toilets to wind up the feminazis, causing the hysterical backlash.
The first person to dress up in a sasquatch outfit and ask his pal to take a blurry photo must still be holding his sides laughing at how stupid and gullible some people are.

There are Trump-supporting candidates for Congress running on QAnon platforms.  This is far more than a few folk taking the piss.

I think he’s saying it started off as a prank. I’m sure there was a reveal a year or so ago that some leftist had made the initial posts as a troll which just completely took on a life of their own. Matt Christman predicted when it first took off that there would inevitably be Q candidates running for office.

It’s so cool that the US could be months away from having elected representatives that believe Chrissy Tiegen is eating children.

Blimey, thought my thread might provoke debate but surprised to see it escalate so much so quickly!

I tend never to dismiss things out of hand. The 9/11, MMR conspiracies etc, I will look into before giving a rebuttal, even if I think it's bonkers. But if someone is telling me to do my research into an alien cube ten times the size of Earth - which has been seen by NASA coming out of the fucking sun apparently - I'm sorry, life's too short for that shit.

As other posters have said, some opinions just do not deserve any respect and I would argue that this is peak that.

5 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

We did a road trip a few years ago through South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee, we were walking a section of the Appalachian trail, we came to a clearing and a hundred or so metres away was a bear standing upright rubbing its back against a tree, for a second my brain couldn't process what i was seeing, by the time I got my camera out it had moved on. 

A few hours later we're in Gatlinburg eating bbq and get sauce all down my white t shirt so i popped into the first clothing store i found and the t shirt below was right there as i entered i had to get it, weirdly the tag said it was a large but it turned out to be a medium but it fitted perfectly. 

Don't know if there is a bigfoot sightings/wrong clothing label crossover theory. 

There's a whole industry around it. The Sasquatch Museum is in the town where I live.

c8fa3206-e3f4-474d-be2f-66a6bc98bc10-567

Sasquatch Outpost - 37 Photos & 16 Reviews - Outdoor Gear - 149 ...

Sasquatch Outpost

Edited by Shotgun

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

There's a whole industry around it. The Sasquatch Museum is in the town where I live.

c8fa3206-e3f4-474d-be2f-66a6bc98bc10-567db698_NjM5NT.jpg

Sasquatch Outpost - 37 Photos & 16 Reviews - Outdoor Gear - 149 ...

Sasquatch Outpost

You should suggest they twin with Drumnadrochit.

Nessiland-Exterior.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

I'm sure this is entirely a coincidence.

It was in April 1933 that Drumnadrochit hotel manageress Aldie Mackay reported “something resembling a whale” while on the road from Inverness.

Blimey, thought my thread might provoke debate but surprised to see it escalate so much so quickly!

I tend never to dismiss things out of hand. The 9/11, MMR conspiracies etc, I will look into before giving a rebuttal, even if I think it's bonkers. But if someone is telling me to do my research into an alien cube ten times the size of Earth - which has been seen by NASA coming out of the fucking sun apparently - I'm sorry, life's too short for that shit.

As other posters have said, some opinions just do not deserve any respect and I would argue that this is peak that.

I like the ones where, as said before, the official narrative is definitely suspicious enough that there is a likely alternative even if it isn’t as batshit as the conspiracy theorists end up suggesting. My favourite one I read recently about JFK was that it was an internally organised ‘assassination attempt’ that was unexpectedly successful and everything after was the organisers frantically trying to cover their arses

37 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Wakefield should be in the fucking jail for the rest of his life BTW.

Yes he should.

At least Oliver Stone has the “defence” of creating works of fiction, even if half the internet seems to believe his garbage.  Wakefield’s nonsense has put lives at risk.

The Eye published a special pull out about the MMR-autism controversy, supporting Wakefield.  I'm not sure it was MD who wrote it.
Fairly sure it was Paul Foot.

IIRC, the Eye's stance on the MMR thing wasn't that it was definitely true, but that the government had dismissed the possibility out of hand, for reasons unrelated to medicine.

Been a long time though. I seem to remember a "crisis with our youth!" pull-out at the time too, written as an anonymous teacher's diary about how none of the kids did any work and just planned their next orgies all day. Came across as though he was an awful teacher and was staggeringly easy to wind up.

Fairly sure it was Paul Foot.

IIRC, the Eye's stance on the MMR thing wasn't that it was definitely true, but that the government had dismissed the possibility out of hand, for reasons unrelated to medicine.

Been a long time though. I seem to remember a "crisis with our youth!" pull-out at the time too, written as an anonymous teacher's diary about how none of the kids did any work and just planned their next orgies all day. Came across as though he was an awful teacher and was staggeringly easy to wind up.

According to the Brian Deer link it was written by a different Eye journalist, Heather Mills (not that one).

4 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Well, except that the Loch Ness monster's real.

Exactly.  There is a Peppa Pig story book where she and her family go on a boat on Loch Ness and eventually encounter the monster.

Can't see how they could have made that up if the monster wasn't real.