How Many Countries Has Pie & Bovril Been To?

4 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

Have met Americans before who were amazed to hear we were from Scotland and queried where we learnt to speak English as we were fluent!

Years ago, was in Las Vegas lying by the hotel pool, and a thirty-something American guy on a nearby sunbed heard my accent. He asked where I was from, and after I told him, he says ‘have you had many bombs this year?’ My response was ‘Sorry, what? Bombs’… he says ‘Yeah, bombs, you know, the fighting. The Catholics, the Protestants’. I say ‘Are you talking about the troubles in Northern Ireland back in the 1970s?’ He comes back with ‘Yeah, Scotland and Ireland, that’s what all those bombs and stuff was between, wasn’t it?’

My next move was to mumble something about needing a beer, and headed off to grab a cold one before pondering if there’s genuinely such a thing as a stupid-as-fcuk-o-meter device available in American hospitals to test vast swathes of their population. Most of them are brand new, but boy, the fcukwits amongst them are Premier League level fcukwits. 😛

11 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Years ago, was in Las Vegas lying by the hotel pool, and a thirty-something American guy on a nearby sunbed heard my accent. He asked where I was from, and after I told him, he says ‘have you had many bombs this year?’ My response was ‘Sorry, what? Bombs’… he says ‘Yeah, bombs, you know, the fighting. The Catholics, the Protestants’. I say ‘Are you talking about the troubles in Northern Ireland back in the 1970s?’ He comes back with ‘Yeah, Scotland and Ireland, that’s what all those bombs and stuff was between, wasn’t it?’

My next move was to mumble something about needing a beer, and headed off to grab a cold one before pondering if there’s genuinely such a thing as a stupid-as-fcuk-o-meter device available in American hospitals to test vast swathes of their population. Most of them are brand new, but boy, the fcukwits amongst them are Premier League level fcukwits. 😛

They have one already - it's called a Presidential Election. 

On 01/03/2024 at 19:20, pozbaird said:

I'm sure there'd be Scots who'd think that it was Georgia at war with Azerbaijan, or get Yemen and Oman mixed up. I'm not sure we're really any better.

7 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm sure there'd be Scots who'd think that it was Georgia at war with Azerbaijan, or get Yemen and Oman mixed up. I'm not sure we're really any better.

Absolutely right. When living in Doha, I had a Rwandan taxi driver once and to initiate conversation I chimed in with, "How have things changed there since the war?" . The lad simply replied, "There's never been a war there, sir" and gave me a potted history to show what a fool I was.

He probably wrote about me on Rwandan fitba forum "Matoke & Urwagwa"

47 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Absolutely right. When living in Doha, I had a Rwandan taxi driver once and to initiate conversation I chimed in with, "How have things changed there since the war?" . The lad simply replied, "There's never been a war there, sir" and gave me a potted history to show what a fool I was.

He probably wrote about me on Rwandan fitba forum "Matoke & Urwagwa"

Rwanda had a genocide in 1994 and more than a million died.  That was followed by the First Congo War where Rwanda was very much involved.  That was followed by the Second Congo War which also saw Rwanda involved.

I think you should stop using Braverman Taxis.

8 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

If there are then @ICTChris will put them right.