St. Mirren vs. Livi

Great result. Under the cosh a bit in the second half but still had all the real chances, Livi did nothing with the possession they had. Great goal as well. Mon the saints.

Also, stream was perfect for me.

Edited by GAD

Seen Morais is getting some stick as well, and some of it is deserved, but st least he was in the game. Was unlucky with his chance, gave us an outlet, and tried to hold the ball up, and never hid. He also made some bad decisions and gave the ball away, but McAllister was absolutely anonymous. I'd rather have Morais to be honest.

6 minutes ago, btb said:

Their home grass must be unreal...

It does highlight how much of an advantage Livingston are gaining from the plastic pitch, but they aren’t doing anything wrong so fair play to them. I’m sure every team in the league will either have a plastic pitch at their training ground, or have access to one. I played on numerous different surfaces playing boys club football and as much as there can be a difference from one Astro pitch to the next, the same can be said for grass pitches as well. 

Seen Morais is getting some stick as well, and some of it is deserved, but st least he was in the game. Was unlucky with his chance, gave us an outlet, and tried to hold the ball up, and never hid. He also made some bad decisions and gave the ball away, but McAllister was absolutely anonymous. I'd rather have Morais to be honest.

Yeah agree with this. Morais seems to be the new boo boy target for some reason. You’d think he’d missed an open goal from a yard out the way some people are describing his chance.

I thought he done fine and I’d drop McAllister for him at Ibrox next week.

13 minutes ago, GAD said:

You know what you're getting with Morais, he'll run and run and try to make a nuisance of himself. McAllister is a more talented plater, no question, but he's a bit of an enigma. I really hope he comes good as on his day he's so exciting to watch. 

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Few chances for either team, St Mirren stuck theirs away really well, we hit the post and had some blocked, and Forrest getting in behind them put a great ball across the box, but on the whole it was bloody frustrating watching it from a Livi perspective. Most clear cut chance of the game came to St Mirren when the ball dropped for Morias right in front of goal, glad he missed it as 2-0 would've been underserved. Amounts to the same thing though, we just couldn't get a break through goal.

Disappointing set pieces and 'long throws', St Mirren defended them with ease, and they're usually our strengths, really need Brown on for the throw ins but he wasn't on the bench so presumably he's not well or injured. Would've had Souda on a lot earlier to take our corners, by the time we brought him on we had no more corner kicks, and we were dominating possession in their half from those areas. 

Typical away result from us carrying on from last season,  prob deserved a draw but once St Mirren got in front they defended their lead well so can't really argue with the result, we weren't anywhere good enough to get the equaliser. Downer of an opening game not getting anything, heyho, away to go a walk with the dog to lift my spirits. Fucking football, great when you win, shite when you lose, well done St Mirren.:yucky:lol:

Shaughnessy and McCarthy won just about everything in the air today. Alnwick looked really confident dealing with high balls too. That really put the kybosh on the long throw/punts into the box tactics.

You were unlucky with a few shots, although our defenders got their bodies in the way.

A draw was probably a fairer result, but other than Forrest's effort, Alnwick wasn't really troubled.

It all came down to the one real chance that we converted. Quite often we were on the receiving end of that last season, so it was nice to hold out and get a result.

That was the first time our defence has played together bar training matches and given we missed four days training (due to the testing fiasco) and only played two friendlies, I was pleasantly surprised. I also thought, given that Shaughnessy and Fraser have only had about ten days pre-season with the club between them, our fitness levels held up really well.

You'll be fine again this season, but you need to mix it up a bit, especially when Dykes has been shackled by a strong defence.

Good to see Shaughnessy raising his game for a bigger club than he's been used to in the past couple of years.:)

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Make no mistake, livi are one of the better sides in this league. At the end of it all, we'll be using this as a bar against where we currently are. 

We will face far weaker opposition than Livingston this season. Brilliant three points. 

Livie are good no getting away with that. Us top 6 ? Nothing to suggest we will be close to a top six slot hope I'm wrong. Unless you can get a proper striker In to support Obika. Budget suggest we wont , we live a d hope. 

Our Irish centre-halves looked like they'd been playing together for years. Very promising.

Quiet games from our main attacking threats (McAllister, Durmus, Obika) so good to see that we can still grind out a result.

Think we can have a good season if injuries are kept at bay. 5 of the 7 outfield subs were teenagers (for comparison, Livi didn't have any in their squad). Sheron injured?

Edited by Buttocks Brown

Yeah agree with this. Morais seems to be the new boo boy target for some reason. You’d think he’d missed an open goal from a yard out the way some people are describing his chance.

McAlister is too light weight and Morias panics too much. I'd like to see what Thor can do.

3 minutes ago, NorthBank said:
48 minutes ago, Lex said:

McAlister is too light weight and Morias panics too much. I'd like to see what Thor can do.

Interesting shout. He had a lovely touch at one point where he lifted the ball over a player's head and collected it on the other side. 

He looks like an absolute unit, too. Totally solid. If his fitness is there, I'd give him a go.

Generally, I thought it still had a touch of pre-season about it, with a couple of our players' touch being a bit rusty. Obika held it up very well at times, but was isolated. Durmus and McAllister lacked sharpness too.

However, this stuff will come. The commitment and levels of organisation were very impressive for this stage of the season.

Foley was outstanding, the centre halves were brilliant. Tait was probably my MOM. We've still got two of our best players to come back, too. 

That Saints backline looks immense, but we still offer almost nothing going forward. We’re going to need another striker and a winger or we’ll have to grind out 1-0 wins all season long.

Has McAllister ever been any good? I’ve yet to see him have a good game.

3 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

That Saints backline looks immense, but we still offer almost nothing going forward. We’re going to need another striker and a winger or we’ll have to grind out 1-0 wins all season long.

Has McAllister ever been any good? I’ve yet to see him have a good game.

I thought he looked decent when he was on loan, the tail end of the Oran Kearney season. Showed up well in a couple of games.

Kid's had a lot of problems - even if he's over them physically, he'll need to get his confidence back. If we can find the real McAllister, we could yet have a player.

Perhaps he needs not to be a starter for a while, while he gets his confidence and sharpness. I desperately want him to do well.

34 minutes ago, NorthBank said:
1 hour ago, Lex said:

McAllister unfortunately is not the player we thought he was due to injury problems. Championship level at best even that I have my doubts . 

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Folk writing McAllister and Morias off after one game ffs, have I signed in to the Black & White Army. 

Aye we need another couple of signings up front but ffs give the guys more than one game to prove what they can do. 

Tbf it's not only one game, it's one season and a game , but every player deserves a chance. If Juniors shot had been the right side of the post , no one would be questioning him and Kyle will hopefully get better with games.

13 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Folk writing McAllister and Morias off after one game ffs, have I signed in to the Black & White Army. 

Aye we need another couple of signings up front but ffs give the guys more than one game to prove what they can do. 

Absolutely. McAllister is still a very raw young player but still in the same mould as McGinn/Mallan/McLean. He's just been hampered by a number of chronic injuries which are being well managed by the club - we wouldn't have resigned him if we didn't think it was worth it. Morias misplaced a couple of passes when he came on but helped us hugely in seeing the game out. He's also very good at getting himself into goalscoring opportiunities, obviously we prefer Obika based on our style of play but Morias is still a very good player for us.