Club Legends in 30 Games or Less

On 28/07/2020 at 20:18, Ludo*1 said:

That 4th goal btw...

I was in the away end and at half time Caniggia spent the whole 15 mins getting worked on by the physio - it was in one of the wee rooms by the tunnel we could see from the away stand. Clearly never needed to hear the half time team talk! 

Contentious one - Allan Johnstone. If you look back to 2009/10 you'll see that in the 10 league games Allan Johnston played for us that season we got 16 points compared to the 18 points from 28 games when he was absent. AJ might very well have been a crock at the tail end of his career but in the games he did play he did a great job for us helping us to retain possession (compared to the usual panic when he was missing) and possibly saved us from being relegated that season.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=9199&season_id=139

https://spfl.co.uk/league/premiership/table

On 31/07/2020 at 23:59, CountyFan said:

Karim Boukraa. 

Played exactly 30 games for Ross County. Did nothing much of any note that I could see, although I was very young. Dribbled a lot and huffed about like a french public servant. 

Countys first and arguably best 'foreign cult hero', the sexy 47 year old man-hunk STILL follows county on twitter and is generally a lovely, badly, sexy French love machine. Supports Macron, good guy. 

That run and 40-yarder against Rangers in the cup, by the way 😍😍 It was about 20 years ago but I still dream it ends up in the top corner...

Guest Bob Mahelp

Some good calls for Dons legend... the wonderful Zoltan Varga, the mercurial Zero, the scoring goalie. 

I also bring to the table Nigel Pepper. 

Great name, mental as a snake, sent off 6 minutes into his debut and 17 seconds into his second game. Hard to be more legendaryish than that. 

Edit : I'm just looking at his Wiki page. After he left Aberdeen he signed for Scunthorpe, where he sustained a double leg break in his 2nd game for the club against Kidderminster, and still managed to get red carded as he assaulted a Kidderminster player while he was being stretchered off the pitch.

What a fucking guy. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

I'm pretty rubbish at stats, and I've got a terrible memory, but no-one has come up with a Motherwell player, so I'll have a crack at it...

Looking at the (rather out-of-date wiki) stats, in terms of players who have only played up to 30 games, and then left or retired, it's really tricky.
Maybe some of the guys have scored brilliant goals which turned a particular match but not being a total die-hard with a good memory, none have really stood out for me.   (I need someone like Capt Oats to chip in with some of those)

Otherwise, I'm looking at ... Eliphas Shivute.  Always loved him, even if he wasn't all that special on the pitch.

In terms of players who made a mark before they got to 30 games ... that's much easier.  My personal faves would be Faddy, Henrik Ojamaa, Phil O'Donnell scoring in the cup final, Michael Higdon and of course recently David Turnbull who could have qualified 'properly' if his Celtic move had come through.

edit: Oops, decided to double-check my first statement, see Ropy has put forward ... Tony Straker  🤣

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

5 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Some good calls for Dons legend... the wonderful Zoltan Varga, the mercurial Zero, the scoring goalie. 

I also bring to the table Nigel Pepper. 

Great name, mental as a snake, sent off 6 minutes into his debut and 17 seconds into his second game. Hard to be more legendaryish than that. 

Edit : I'm just looking at his Wiki page. After he left Aberdeen he signed for Scunthorpe, where he sustained a double leg break in his 2nd game for the club against Kidderminster, and still managed to get red carded as he assaulted a Kidderminster player while he was being stretchered off the pitch.

What a fucking guy. 

Ha ha! Who better to put the c**t in Scunthorpe?

On 31/07/2020 at 23:59, CountyFan said:

Karim Boukraa. 

Played exactly 30 games for Ross County. Did nothing much of any note that I could see, although I was very young. Dribbled a lot and huffed about like a french public servant. 

Countys first and arguably best 'foreign cult hero', the sexy 47 year old man-hunk STILL follows county on twitter and is generally a lovely, badly, sexy French love machine. Supports Macron, good guy. 

The fun of Boukraa was never knowing what he was going to do at any time. Would he beat three men and try to lob the keeper? Would he fall over his own feet like Lionel Djebi-Zadi? Would be hit the crossbar from thirty yards?

Mine is The Monk (Grzegorz Szamotulski). If I remember rightly, Zaluska got injured in pre-season, and recommended his mate, Szamo.
I think he made his debut against Barcelona, in which he was only beaten by a late late Henry strike after initially saving the penalty, then he made his competitive debut against Aberdeen in a 1-0 win where he made save after save.
Added to how good he was, he was quite mad!
In the warmups he used to grab a youth player and tell him to obstruct him while he tried to claim crosses and then proceeded to batter the living daylights out of the kid as he claimed cross after cross.
After 18 games, with his  short term contract running out, word was he turned down an extension because he didn’t want to keep his mate Zaluska out of the team.
Despite winning 13 caps for Poland, he never settled anywhere and went on to play for another 9 clubs after United.
A proper legend. Didn’t win fcuk all with us, but loved by all.

That Barcelona friendly was televised, and friendly or not, I remember Szamo's goalkeeping performance as one of the best I've seen. Giovani Dos Santos dived for penalty (in a friendly no less!) as well I'm sure!