OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The Robbie Neilson and Hearts circle of life reaching the death stage again, then.

Already got my bet on him returning in 28/29, Hearts finishing 3rd in 29/30, then Neilson sacked in 30/31.

We should short circuit the process by sacking him on Tuesday and bringing him back on Thursday rather than hanging about 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The Robbie Neilson and Hearts circle of life reaching the death stage again, then.

Already got my bet on him returning in 28/29, Hearts finishing 3rd in 29/30, then Neilson sacked in 30/31.

There will be a relegation &/or an administration in that timeline. 

The thing with Neilson as coach is that his record has always been questionable or come with caveats, even back in the sainted 14/15 season.

Don't get me wrong, 14/15 was one of my favourite years watching Hearts, and winning the league by that stretch ahead of Hibs and Rangers cannot be written off and dismissed.

But.

You look at our games against Hibs and Rangers that season, and we were poor in all of them. We could easily have lost the first two games against Hibs, but Liam Craig missed a penalty at Tynecastle and Ozturk scudded one in from 40 yards in injury time at Easter Road and we got a win and a draw from two games we were second best in. Then we struggled to a home draw before losing to Hibs in the last derby. Stubbs had Neilson well and truly sussed, and you couldn't honestly argue with Hibs having the better of each of those games. Hearts were thoroughly average in the two Tynecastle games and absolutely shite twice at Easter Road. If Ozturk doesn't pop up from nowhere, that one goes down as one of our poorer showings there. Turgid.

The big moments went our way, and over the season we were miles better, but Neilson never got to grips with Stubbs. The following season's cup tie was just another example. Two dreadful performances. To this day, Neilson has not worked out how to play against an energetic pressing midfield.

Against Rangers we won at Ibrox with a display that was ok, but nothing more, and Rangers were pretty wasteful. Don't get me wrong, it was great, but we rode our luck. And the second game against them, at Tynecastle, we were getting our arses handed to us until the red card, and even then we toiled to win. Then we lost to them at Ibrox and then had our hilarious comeback on the last day, which doesn't really count.

I'm not dismissing his achievement in winning that league, but the context of those performances is relevant to where we are now and how he works as a coach.

What all of these games had in common is a really passive approach and an absence of aggression to get our dangerous players into the game. MK Dons fans complained of the same when he was there, and now Hearts fans have the same complaints about big games and away fixtures in general. You could forgive that in 2014/15, as it was his first season as a Head Coach and he ultimately did a very good job. But it's now eight years on, and the same flaws in his approach are still there. Hearts cannot cope with being pressed with any kind of intensity, Hearts rarely go on the front foot  away from home or in a big game, and Neilson's approach is still sucking the life out of the Tynecastle crowd.

You can argue the only genuine full-on performance in a biggish game we've had under him was the win against Rangers right before he left for MK. He's just not showing any sign of improvement, and after this amount of time that's not on.

Edited by VincentGuerin

11 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

If there's one thing that all of us should agree, it's that this would be the appropriate conclusion to the season. Everyone is rancid and nobody deserves the prize of European group football. 

We need the Europe money to pay off Neilson.

Neilson gets 3rd and he earns his pay-off or he doesn't get 3rd and he stays.

I'm gonna put my head above the parapet and say we've been honking of late, but sadly the facts of the matter are that Robbie has been our most successful manager of the last decade. Twice.

I'm inherently cautious and always err on the side of caution. But I've seen this story before and it didn't end well last time....

1 hour ago, Stylish Kid said:

I'm gonna put my head above the parapet and say we've been honking of late, but sadly the facts of the matter are that Robbie has been our most successful manager of the last decade. Twice.

I'm inherently cautious and always err on the side of caution. But I've seen this story before and it didn't end well last time....

The players are not very good but it’s his squad now, he signed them he never inherited this team, it’s his. 

15 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

The players are not very good but it’s his squad now, he signed them he never inherited this team, it’s his. 

The thing is, though, that players who were playing well a few months/weeks ago are now playing poorly - they need to identify why that is so it can be addressed. 

On 01/04/2023 at 19:19, Frank Grimes said:

Paging Joe Savage…

An absolute shambles from the diets that we’re now only a point behind 

We’ve had a shit season lads, you should be mortified 

The fact we're third despite having been absolutely brutal most of the season and with most of our good players unavailable should mortify everyone

13 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The fact we're third despite having been absolutely brutal most of the season and with most of our good players unavailable should mortify everyone

It should also be borne in mind that Aberdeen's have already seen accumulated more points in 30 games than they did in 38 last season.

Describing it as a "Shit Season" is the most humongous piece of hyperbole and exaggeration ever seen on this forum 

Spoiler

Apart from that on just there ^^^

44 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The way yous go on you would think you are the only team that has had injuries 

49 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It should also be borne in mind that Aberdeen's have already seen accumulated more points in 30 games than they did in 38 last season.

Describing it as a "Shit Season" is the most humongous piece of hyperbole and exaggeration ever seen on this forum 

Reveal hidden contents

Apart from that on just there ^^^

In fairness, at the point Goodwin was sacked I think I’m right in saying were a point ahead of the same point in the previous season. We’d also seen off an actual SPFL side in the Scottish cup, a feat that was beyond us this season. 

5 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

We need the Europe money to pay off Neilson.

Neilson gets 3rd and he earns his pay-off or he doesn't get 3rd and he stays.

3rd doesn't guarantee any team of group stage European football. 

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The fact that you're only one point ahead of the worst Aberdeen side in history should mortify all Hearts fans.

5 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

In his defence, it's the DoFs job to find players to fit his system and our recruitment was bad this summer, aside from Shankland and it's a distinct possibility that him and Lewis Neilson are the only one's he's identified himself. 

Kio and Grant just aren't good enough. You're going to struggle if you're powderpuff in the middle of the park. 

I'm not excusing Neilsons shortcomings but you have to disentangle what he is and isn't completely responsible for. And it's worth remembering that we're still in the driving seat for third with a more favourable run in. 

5 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

I'm not excusing Neilsons shortcomings but you have to disentangle what he is and isn't completely responsible for. And it's worth remembering that we're still in the driving seat for third with a more favourable run in. 

This is important to keep in mind. Back in the summer this would have been seen as a good position to be in at this point.

With the remaining fixtures, we should be fine. But it's not unreasonable to have doubts about what's ahead.

4 hours ago, GreenGray said:

The way yous go on you would think you are the only team that has had injuries 

Another Hibs fan coming onto the Hearts thread to moan about Hearts fans discussing Hearts players.

6 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Has that changed again already?? So only one season?

The winners of the Scottish Cup are guaranteed group stages, unless they have already got a Champions League spot. Then it goes to 3rd.