OFFICIAL HEARTS JUGGERNAUT THREAD 2020-

1 hour ago, DC92 said:

Some people at the time were getting a bit excited about us finishing bottom 6 or maybe even being relegation contenders. Some were claiming Neilson was in sacking territory. That includes plenty of Hearts fans.

I think those conclusions were flawed because the teams we were playing were actually quite good and our defence was always likely to improve when at least one of our better centre-halves returned. You say that's an excuse, I'd say it's been proven emphatically correct through all subsequent evidence.

As for RFS, would Hibs have drawn in Florence, or against Basaksehir with 10 men, or got a creditable 2-1 defeat at Tynecastle? I'm not so sure.

I think these kind of manic depressiven reactions happen with most clubs but it might be slightly worse at hearts.

Ther always seem to be people ready to jump on board a  “Hearts are great” or “Hearts are shit” bandwagon but people get a bit confused with Hearts being no more than good. 

7 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I think these kind of manic depressiven reactions happen with most clubs but it might be slightly worse at hearts.

Ther always seem to be people ready to jump on board a  “Hearts are great” or “Hearts are shit” bandwagon but people get a bit confused with Hearts being no more than good. 

You should tag @Elixir when you talk about him.

10 hours ago, Stylish Kid said:

☝️☝️ Agree 

☝️Such a wierd anomaly that they got results against both the better teams in the group, yet we were the only team to beat them twice.

The only way that group could have gone more Robbie is if we'd drawn in Riga.

14 hours ago, DC92 said:

Braga 0-4 Fiorentina.

Maybe some people were getting a bit overexcited about our results against them.

Basaksehir still sitting third in the Turkish league anaw.

15 hours ago, DC92 said:

Some people at the time were getting a bit excited about us finishing bottom 6 or maybe even being relegation contenders. Some were claiming Neilson was in sacking territory. That includes plenty of Hearts fans.

I found this to be an online phenomenon. Everyone I go to games with thought we'd finish third by a good distance all along.

Some people get upset about losing to good teams in an injury crisis, but I think the internet amplifies daftness like that. Our results in the autumn were always more or less to par in league and Europe. As was pointed out by calmer heads at the time, we didn't play a home game against a non-OF side in the league in September or October. Things were always going to turn.

My group of Hearts mates is, like many I'd imagine, split on the Neilson issue. Some very much Neilson in, others Neilson out, a few in between. But I don't know anyone who thought the autumn should have seen him punted. Those who want him out have more long/medium-term issues with him.

Edited by VincentGuerin

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

He's not alone though and presumably this kind of thing must happen amongst Aberdeen fans. 

Although there admittedly won't be much jingoistic optimism at the moment

Of course there is much of that. I sometimes think folk prefer the soap opera to the actual football. 

13 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Connor Smith is a player. I forgive you for your sins against our pitch in the cup game for sending him to us.

He's one I always thought was worth a longer run of games at Hearts. But that's very much not how Neilson rolls (f**k knows what Finlay Pollock thinks is going on with his career...)

We seem to be going through a bit of a dip in regards to performances at the moment, our away form does seem especially poor, but doesn't this always seem to be the case most seasons? When was the last time we had double figure wins away from home in a season? 05/06 maybe?probably our best season In my life time following us.

I think we definitely need to improve on that Even if we could target around 7/8 wins away from home in a season would be a good achievement, it's funny I do think we are on the correct course and are moving in the right direction, we appear to be improving our squad every season and I think getting 3rd this year will allow is to become even stronger next season which would hopefully put more of a gap between us and the chasing pack below and maybe get us slightly closer to the old firm. I understand the frustrations in our support but I do feel like we are slowly moving forward.

17 minutes ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

We seem to be going through a bit of a dip in regards to performances at the moment, our away form does seem especially poor, but doesn't this always seem to be the case most seasons? When was the last time we had double figure wins away from home in a season? 05/06 maybe?probably our best season In my life time following us.

I think we definitely need to improve on that Even if we could target around 7/8 wins away from home in a season would be a good achievement, it's funny I do think we are on the correct course and are moving in the right direction, we appear to be improving our squad every season and I think getting 3rd this year will allow is to become even stronger next season which would hopefully put more of a gap between us and the chasing pack below and maybe get us slightly closer to the old firm. I understand the frustrations in our support but I do feel like we are slowly moving forward.

Even 2005-06 we only won 7 away from home.

55 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Nobody really fears Heart of Midlothian when we comes to town. It badly needs addressed if we're going to kick on at all.

There's a common theme that we struggle with high intensity and pressing. This is why we play so poorly against St Mirren, whatever the venue, and it's why under Robbie we were poor every time we played Stubbs' Hibs.

It's a long-standing thing and I think the most enduring and fair criticism of Neilson's coaching and building of a team. It's such a critical failing in the modern game.

Away from home, opponents are generally more in our faces. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, yet we seem to be knocked out of our stride by it. It's really poor.

Edited by VincentGuerin

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

There's a common theme that we struggle with high intensity and pressing. This is why we play so poorly against St Mirren, whatever the venue, and it's why under Robbie we were poor every time we played Stubbs' Hibs.

It's a long-standing thing and I think the most enduring and fair criticism of Neilson's coaching and building of a team. It's such a critical failing in the modern game.

We've got better players than most teams we play but not so much better that we can just decide how we want to play and simply impose that on the opposition.

So we need to be flexible but that's easier said than done

To his credit Robbie has quite often turned things round in the second half after a failed first half. Albeit that was nipped in the bud at Fir Park